Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/26/2003 5:22:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/26/2003 5:44:33 AM EDT by chuckhammer]
What are the various supplies I will need to shoot/clean it?

So far, I'm thinking:
- .58 caliber Minnie balls
- bullet patches
- cleaning jag
- bullet lube
- powder flask
- bullet starter
- powder measure
- capper
- cleaning patches
- bullet/ball puller
- patch puller

I would like to use authentic-style shooting accessories since this is a historic Civil War arm. Any ideas? Also, what type of powder would work best with this? FG, FFG, FFFG, Pyrodex, Triple Seven, CleanShot? I'd like to stick with actual BP for tradition's sake.

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:38:23 AM EDT
I shoot 60gr of FFg behind a 500 gr minnie. Get a flask with a spout that will throw 60-65 grains of BP. It uses musket caps, so a capper is not needed.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:53:45 AM EDT
OK. I see the Hawken-style rifles use 100-150 grains of powder. You're saying 60-65 grains. Are they using Pyrodex in lieu of BP or is the Hawken action just significantly stonger. I'm a bit confused.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 7:58:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/26/2003 8:00:41 AM EDT by raf]
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 8:04:35 AM EDT
First off you do not need a bullet starter. A minnie will almost fall into the muzzle.

The origional Civil war charge is around 60 to 70 grains of blackpowder.

The minnie bullet weighs several hundred grains. I can't remember exactly but I think it is over 500 grains.

A .50 cal ball fired from a Hawken type rifle weighs 180 grains so more powder is allowed.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 8:13:03 AM EDT
One thing about loading directly from a powder flask or horn.

It not allowed at any muzzleloading competitions for safety reasons.

Just think what could happen if you fired a round and reloaded by pouring the next charge down the bore from a flask or horn filled with a quarter lb of powder if a there was still a burning ember inside your bore.

The flask would explode and you and anyone around you could be killed or at the least burnt severly.

This is not really likely to happen but apparently it HAS happened before.

No need to chance it in my opinion. Third degree burns are not much fun.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 9:58:19 AM EDT
I just ordered a whole slew of stuff from Cheaper Than Dirt:

- T/C Cleaning Kit for .58 Caliber
- 100 .570 Buffalo Lead Balls
- 100 Lubed Shooting Patches
- T/C Deluxe Ball Starter
- .58 Caliber Buffalo Maxi-Balls (pack of 16)
- T/C Patch Worm
- T/C Ball/Bullet Puller
- T/C Adjustable Powder Measure (5-125 grains)
- T/C Powder Flask
- T/C Musket Capper (holds 8)

Only $75 for everything, shipped.

Now all I need are some Musket Caps and some FFG BP/Pyrodex/Clean Shot. Does Sports Authority carry these items?
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 10:00:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cornbread2:
First off you do not need a bullet starter. A minnie will almost fall into the muzzle.

The origional Civil war charge is around 60 to 70 grains of blackpowder.

The minnie bullet weighs several hundred grains. I can't remember exactly but I think it is over 500 grains.

A .50 cal ball fired from a Hawken type rifle weighs 180 grains so more powder is allowed.

I had a hard time finding actual minnie balls. Everything I found consisted of round balls, maxi-balls, maxi-hunters, sabots, etc. Perhaps I'm missing something here?
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 10:52:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/26/2003 10:52:51 AM EDT by cornbread2]
Your musket may not have the correct rifleing twist for shooting balls. What is the twist?

Get your minnies from Dixie Gun Works or any other muzzleloading supply companies that sell origional type supplies.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 3:26:15 PM EDT
Twist rate is 1/66". I was told anything over 1/60" will favor round balls for best accuracy.

Thanks for the tip on where to find the minnies.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:14:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cornbread2:
Your musket may not have the correct rifleing twist for shooting balls. What is the twist?

Get your minnies from Dixie Gun Works or any other muzzleloading supply companies that sell origional type supplies.

Dixie lists two minnie ball diameters for .58 caliber use: .575 and .577. I guess I should try both to determine which is most accurate from my particular rifle?
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 5:25:23 AM EDT
It has been a long time since I shot any rifle muskets but if I remember correctly both the Springfield and Enfield muskets were both .58 caliber but there was just a slight difference in bore size.

That MAY be the reason they list two different size minnies IF I remember correctly.

I am sure this info is on the web somewhere or Dixie may be able to tell you. They are some fine people and they know their stuff.

Also a correct size bullet can be eaisly pushed into a clean bore with your thumb and sometimes they will almost fall in.

The powder charge acting on the hollow base of the bullet swells it out into the rifleing when fired.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 4:11:42 PM EDT
The 1861 arrived yesterday and the shooting/cleaning accessories I ordered from Cheaper Than Dirt arrived today. I'm off to shoot tomorrow.

Supposed be 72 and sunny.

BTW - The paperwork than came with the musket says to use .577" minnies.
Top Top