Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2002 3:54:34 PM EDT
Well here are the pics from the first night in our brand spanking new range ( almost finished).  The first event was our weekly Junior Rifle program...

First: yours truly putting up the targets on our temp target holders ( the automatic target turners/returners are not wired yet) I am on the left.

Second:  Club and  member rifles on temp racks ( the permanents racks and shelves should be built in a few weeks)

Third:  View from behind the shooting line..10 lanes.

Fourth:  Moms at the scoring table

Fifth:  View from behind stations 1-3

Needless to say we had a great time!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I know they're only kids but still, isn't it a bit dangerous to be holding the targets for them down range.  The bearded kid in the third pic must have repeated a grade or two...
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:09:35 PM EDT
[#2]
LOL

Ya thats Jimmy!!  He is the Jr Chairman!!
One hell of a great guy and his kids are ace shots..

His daughter got 100 7x and 100 4x that night!!

Another young lady scored 100 10x, 100 8x and 100 4x!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, that's really something.  I've heard that women make better marksmen (err, markspeople) but I'm still suprised to see so many young ladies in the competition.  Seems like an excellent program.  Facilities look great too.  That's the largest bullet proof viewing window I've ever seen at an indoor range.  When I was growing up in Los Angeles, the ranges around here were not very kid friendly.  Ironically, the range I frequented closed down because a father shot himself in the chest while teaching his son "gun safety"  (something to the effect of 'never ever do this...' I guess).  I wish continuing successful to you and your league.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks 50..  We have 3 windows runnign the full width of the range.  They are made of 2 layers of bullet proof glass installed in a "V" shape to deflect any possible stray shot.  The wall to the observation area is full of "pea gravel" up to 5 feet.

We are very proud of our program and have some of the highest medalists in Canada.  All this in a club with only 250 members.

We are thinking of paring up with an American Jr Club and doing some cross border competitions to raise the profile of the sport.

As for the facilities...ya I am very proud!!  I spent 2 years in the design stage.  The club saved for 10 years to raise the funds.. Total Cost $140K ( Canadian)  the old range was built out of old logs in 1957 and actually fell apart when we started to take it down!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#5]
VERY COOL.............Hey!...I only see one mossberg in that picture....what`s the deal?.......
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:12:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep number three from the left on the left rack is the Mossy we were talking about.  I have ordered the sight screws from the guy we talked about..  I was just taking her in to try out the trigger...VERY NICE!

As to the rest...well mainly Anshutz and Bruno.

I just wish the club could get its hands on some of those CMP .22s that I see!!!  But we poor Canadians cannot get them!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Campy yes we have coaches!! LOL!  Many of our shooters are newbies..

Here is a pic of three kids who had never ever even touched a gun before last friday.. The two girls were in the shot from behind the booths.

My club is in Aylmer Ontario Canada.  We are about 2 hours from the Detroit border.

What do you mean by floor lights??

SHOOTING SCHOLARSHIPS!!! WHAT THE HELL!!!!!
TELL ME MORE!!

Oh BTW we had 38 kids out friday night...our record last year was 65 in a night.  That is one reason for the new range...the old one only held 6 shooters!!

Oh and the motor  housings will be right side up by the weekend!  LOL...the assemblies were put on UPSIDE DOWN!!  We have to raise the entire track system etc 9 inches!!  Well what do you expect when you do not have a manual!!

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:04:36 AM EDT
[#9]
$140K Canadian, thats like $35K American.  Maybe I can talk my wife into that instead of a house
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:10:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Another series of pictures turned into red "X"es because United States Forces Korea G6 deems the "webshots" website unsuitable.

Adam
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:13:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Actually its about $90K U$..Which is still a good deal.  However you also need to have a steady group of about 20 volunteers working every Thursday and Saturday for 6 months!!  We did all the electrical and built the backstops etc.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:54:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Stormbringer, how wide are your lanes and what are the inner dimensions of your shooting area? I have been waiting for a building to show up for a reasonable price to be used as an indoor shooting range, but I'm not sure how much room I need for each shooter. In the interim I'm trying to get our pistol club to sponser airgun and .22 rifle shoots for young folks.

Anyone else with pertinent information can add to this. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 4:46:17 AM EDT
[#14]
WSmac.

The dimensions of our range are 40 ft by 110 feet.  The actuall "shooting length" is 25 meters.

The booths are set about42 inches apart ( I think) I can measure to be sure on the weekend.

I think that ALL clubs MUST have junior programs or we face the death of our sport!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#15]
That brings back memories!  I shot in the NRA Jr Marksmanship program when I was a kid. Our range was at Aberdeen Proving Ground in the basement of what is now the Ordnance school. I doubt they still shoot there though....
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#16]
When I was a kid....there was a shooting team and a range in the basement of our high school...........if anyone brought up that idea today, they`d be driven out of town!.......
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Ya I know B&G even the hight school in my city in Canada used to have a range under the gym.  Now its a storage room!

Most people I mention this to say NO WAY!!!  Till I prove it to them...

Gives you a totally different out look on things.

I wish I had been in such a program as a kid.  As it was I did not fire a real gun till I was 21!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top