Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2003 4:10:33 PM EDT
Bought an AK that is.  The HR manager where I work is a fellow gun-nut & recently asked me if I knew anybody who might be interested in his AK.  Big mistake as I had my income tax refund money still burning a hole in my pocket so I jumped on it quick.  
Romak2 5.45x39, 2 East German bakelite mags, 3/4 case of ammo (not Wolf.."Ulyanovsk"), scope mount & 4X scope all for $225 cash.  Don't think I got hurt too bad, even my mom who usually just rolls her eyes whenever I buy another gun thought it was a heck of a deal (Too cheap not to buy, her words).  It looks like I'm going to spend more $$$ to convert it to a proper stock & pistolgrip (Red Star fire control, Iron Wood laminated furniture etc).  Haven't had a chance to fire it yet but will soon.

<edit>  This was to be my #1000 post but I screwed up & had a itchy submit trigger elsewheres, oh well.

Link Posted: 7/11/2003 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell of a deal... I got mine as part of a package deal...  Romak 2 with synthetic stock and a Russian SKS unfired, bag of backlites for $350.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hell of a deal... I got mine as part of a package deal...  Romak 2 with synthetic stock and a Russian SKS unfired, bag of backlites for $350.

Daay-umm!  Almost every Russki SKS I've seen goes for about $200-250 by itself.  Hardwood or laminated?

What style sythetic stock?  I'm torn between getting a US made plum colored synthetic from K-Var or laminated from IronWood.  Since I'll need 5 US made parts (3 for RedStar fire control, 1 for US made gas piston) I'll either have to go with a US made grip or buttstock/forearm.  Might go with a US stock to increase the length of pull.  That way I can use a funky red/orange Romanian bakelite grip.

I almost didn't buy this Romak2 because 5.45x39 would be yet _another_ weird caliber to buy....already have to stock 7.62x25 Tokarev, 7.62x38R Nagant revolver, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R & 8x57 Mauser.  It seems that if I can buy ammo for it at Wal-Mart then the gun isn't oddball  enuff for me.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 8:24:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Great deal Riffandall!!

HiramRanger,  That is one sweet collection, and now it makes me miss the Daewoo DR200 that I sold last year.  [>Q]  Parts are hard to find.

Oh well it was replaced by an AK.

The Dark Side Rules.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 8:36:07 PM EDT
[#4]
That's ummmmm like a quarter of my longarm collection...  I need to dump this stuff... guns are BAD!
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Hiram,  You are correct; (guns are very very bad).  Please IM me, so I can send you my address.  

Please send me your weapons, so I can dispose them properly.  I am just doing the right thing!
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#6]
RiffR., great deal on your SAR-2 !  I recently bought a similar package and thought I did fine at $350.

Be careful about hanging out at the AK Forum as I've bought six AK's in about two months due to the evil influences !!
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#7]
As far as options on the stock, don't forget that RPB makes a groovy looking faux Krinkov stock right here in the USA, which allowed me to put a real Roosian pistol grip on my project "Red Dawn" gun.  I made mine into a AKS-74 clone, if the AW ban goes away it will get a real folder instead of the RPB one though.  Just another option to think about for you guys.

Oh yeah and you'll LOVE the 5.45 caliber.  7.62 is the caliber the Roosians gave up on 30 years ago.  5.45 is much more accurate and much more controllable, and as far as stopping power, well sheeeyit, ask some Afghanis how the steel core stuff with the airspace in the nose (Hague convention loophole) tears off arms and legs.  Its a nasty, NASTY round for whoever is on the receiving end.

Did I mention RPB also has all the bakelite 5.45 mags you could ever need for $5 each? Might as well get twenty at that price!
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
RiffR., great deal on your SAR-2 !  I recently bought a similar package and thought I did fine at $350.

Since I'll have to spend some more $$$$ on US made parts in order to get rid of the funky "Dragonuv" thumbhole stock your $350 SAR2 deal isn't too far off.  I'm going to go with the RedStar trigger group..if I have to replace it might as well replace it with the best.  

Be careful about hanging out at the AK Forum as I've bought six AK's in about two months due to the evil influences !!

I already know that I want a 7.62x39 AK also, just to share ammo with the SKS's I have (not to mention 75rnd drum mags!!).  The .223 AK's don't appeal to me at all so I'm safe from their evil influence.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I wish I still had my 5.45mm. I traded it for a birthday present for my wife. (Stupid!)
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The .223 AK's don't appeal to me at all so I'm safe from their evil influence.  

Kinda funny as I feel the same way re the AK's and .223.  I have the 5.45 and will likely add the SAR-1 (or something) for the 7.62X39.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 9:20:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
As far as options on the stock, don't forget that RPB makes a groovy looking faux Krinkov stock right here in the USA, which allowed me to put a real Roosian pistol grip on my project "Red Dawn" gun.  I made mine into a AKS-74 clone, if the AW ban goes away it will get a real folder instead of the RPB one though.  Just another option to think about for you guys.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=9910

Oh yeah and you'll LOVE the 5.45 caliber.  7.62 is the caliber the Roosians gave up on 30 years ago.  5.45 is much more accurate and much more controllable, and as far as stopping power, well sheeeyit, ask some Afghanis how the steel core stuff with the airspace in the nose (Hague convention loophole) tears off arms and legs.  Its a nasty, NASTY round for whoever is on the receiving end.

Did I mention RPB also has all the bakelite 5.45 mags you could ever need for $5 each? Might as well get twenty at that price!

Just received the same stock and black furniture from RPB to put on my SAR-2.  (Bought a vertical pistol grip also but that product is B/ordered.)  Also bought the trigger group from RSA but not installed as yet.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#12]
About the Red Star trigger--save up money to buy one for each Kalashnikov you own.  If you don't, the one without the trigger in it will never get shot.  

I want to see pics of your SAR-2 setup dude, you have to reciprocate!
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 7:26:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
About the Red Star trigger--save up money to buy one for each Kalashnikov you own.  If you don't, the one without the trigger in it will never get shot.  

I want to see pics of your SAR-2 setup dude, you have to reciprocate!

Will do !  Just found out the RSA trigger also works with the Romak III/SSG 97 - another one to buy now.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, definitely, cause the Romak III trigger is CRAP.  I bet that "Dragunov" turns in much better groups once you get a trigger that doesn't have three false second stages and half an inch of creep to it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 6:01:12 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Yeah, definitely, cause the Romak III trigger is CRAP.  I bet that "Dragunov" turns in much better groups once you get a trigger that doesn't have three false second stages and half an inch of creep to it.

Well schitt, in the spirit of candor, I actually have two Romak III's and one SSG 97 that need the RSA trigger group !!  I'll order triggers for those three this week.  Had to wait a few weeks but bought the SSG 97 for $694.95 NIB with a 6X scope from Inter Ordnance.  (I'm setting up the two Romak III's and the SSG 97 for my three brothers.)

Also have a Krebs AK and a SAM-7 - those rifles have good triggers but need scope rails which I have on order from Tantal.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 6:12:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Pics, dammit, pics!
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 6:56:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Pics, dammit, pics!

Just as soon as I finally get everything in and installed !!

(As soon as I get past my current AK projects I'm going to need some guidance on some Yugo/Russian/?? M-44's/M-48's/??, etc., as here I know NUTHING !!)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top