Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2003 1:53:27 PM EDT
Jim_Dandy reponded to one of my posts and recommended getting a green mountain barrel for price and performance.  After shooting my new set up, Hogue stock, Green Mountain 18" blue bull barrel, Power Custom scope base, Zee Rings, and Simmons Whitetail Classic 4.5-14X, I am very impressed.  Less than 1/2" 5 shot groups at 50yds, with Rem. cheap 500pak rounds.  It didn't like the Eley club, or Velocitors that much, but Rem blue label target, and CCI minimags all shot regularly around the 1/2 mark also. When sighting the rifle in at 25yds to get everything close, I put 5 rounds into one very, very small hole.  I though maybe at first that I was missing.  Only after I pulled one, did the hole open up enough for me to see that there were more than one round going though the same hole.

Jim your info was right on the mark.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I love my Green Mountain barrel.  I bought one when they werent as common as they are now.  The thing is amazing and impresses me every time I shoot it.  A few weekends ago me and some other members went out shooting so I grabbed my 10/22 (has a green mountain barrel, simmons wtc scope and had some work done by randy at CT Precision).  We were hitting pebbles at 50 yards with this thing.  Basically putting them on the target stand and shooting them off of the top.  I dont think i missed.  I dont think I could have used the $90 I spent on the barrel could have been better spent on any other mod.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:40:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey Guns, thinkin' about getting basically the same set up as you and was wondering what the rig is weighing in at? Thinkin' about the whistle pig barrels to save some weight for a packing rifle but would like to save the cash on a GM.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hey Guns, thinkin' about getting basically the same set up as you and was wondering what the rig is weighing in at? Thinkin' about the whistle pig barrels to save some weight for a packing rifle but would like to save the cash on a GM.

Ahhh?  It's not very light!  I don't mind the weight, though.  I actually carry it quite a bit, hunting rock chucks. I haven't carried it much yet in the new config. It is as much or more than my hunting rigs.  

One thing to think about;  IMHO, the weight helps steady the gun.  I like the way it points off hand.  I think it will be easier to shoot because of the weight.  I'll gladly trade weight for the accuracy performance of that barrel.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, that's my problem. A heavy rifle is cool to plink around with because of the ease of shooting. Plus it would be better for my nephew if I can get my sister to give me the go ahead. Kind of anti-gun. But a light rifle is just easy to deal with. I'm willing to spend a little more for a light barrel, if I can figure if it's worth it, and the choices I'm considering would all be of the same accuracy.  If the difference is only a pound or so for total weight, I'll probably just go with steel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top