Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/21/2006 9:24:53 PM EDT
I have shot several types of surplus ammo in my PTR with no problems at all. What are you JLD PTR owners finding on how the gun likes hunting ammo?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:13:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SkagSig40:
I have shot several types of surplus ammo in my PTR with no problems at all. What are you JLD PTR owners finding on how the gun likes hunting ammo?

I've shot some 180 gr. Federal Hi-Shock hunting ammo out my JLD the other day and shot fine. Not one hiccup.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:40:32 AM EDT
I use Federal 150 grain .308 Soft Points in a HK91 A2 for deer hunting.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:54:07 PM EDT
I have had repeated problems shooting Remington's Core-Lokt. FTFs and FTEs just about every round. Now I usually just shoot Lake City.

-JZ
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:04:24 PM EDT
I have fired a couple of boxes of the old Wichester Silvertip 150 gr eounds through it. Not one problem in 40 rounds.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:46:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JZ556:
I have had repeated problems shooting Remington's Core-Lokt. FTFs and FTEs just about every round. Now I usually just shoot Lake City.

-JZ

Did you try another brand of hunting ammo? I wonder what JLD would say about that?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:45:15 PM EDT

Did you try another brand of hunting ammo? I wonder what JLD would say about that?

From an email sent by Victor at JLD:

"corelockt is hunting ammo and is not the recommended ammo for this rifle, specially on the break in period, it is best to use Remington UMC 150gr. FMJ for the first 200 rounds, you can also use Surplus from Spain, Portugal, Australia, Argentina, US Lake City, do not use Indian, South African, Austrian nor Cavim from Venezuela."

And no, after switching from using the core-lokt I have only shot Lake City and some 80's era Argentine ammo through my PTR-91.

-JZ
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:29:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JZ556:

From an email sent by Victor at JLD:

"corelockt is hunting ammo and is not the recommended ammo for this rifle, specially on the break in period, it is best to use Remington UMC 150gr. FMJ for the first 200 rounds, you can also use Surplus from Spain, Portugal, Australia, Argentina, US Lake City, do not use Indian, South African, Austrian nor Cavim from Venezuela."

And no, after switching from using the core-lokt I have only shot Lake City and some 80's era Argentine ammo through my PTR-91.

-JZ

not many know about the problem with the South African ammo, as it is hit and miss...some batches use a tar-like substance which vaporizes and crystalizes to the inside of the reciever, gunking up rollers after just a few rounds..... may as well throw dirt into the action and expect it to work.

I shoot only Argentine ammo right now....
Top Top