Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 8:48:48 AM EDT
I have a USGI fiberglass stock that needs a little snugging up arond the reciever legs to take out some wobble. I could ($100) get a complete bedding job done but would like to try to just snug it up a little myself. Also need to try to get some "down pressure" on the front ferrule. Anybody ever done this or think it would work using JB weld? I know it won't equal a real bedding job, but I want to put the next money into unitizing the gas system, trigger job, etc.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:12:37 AM EDT
[#1]
JB will certainly work, but it will not last long or be as durable as some other bedding compounds. Marine Tex is better IMHO and is not that much. It is available at your local marine store, or should be.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:16:38 AM EDT
[#2]
everytime I use JB weld it eventualy cracks
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:19:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:12:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks. I knew it wasn't a perfect solution. I was just trying to get the slop out. This rifle(Polytech) looks like it's going to be a shooter. So far, it's doing 1.5 to 2 MOA with LC and DAG ammo and I haven't gotten to Port yet. It will be a step at a time project as funds are available. A true bedding job will be the biggest single expense @ $100. Everything else will probably run another $200 on top of that. ETA : There are two things I won't tackle myself :a trigger job and bedding.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Shimming the gas cylinder can make a noticeable difference all by itself.

Well spent 7.00 dollars
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#7]
My gunsmith actually doesn't recommend shimming. He says unitizing is all that's necessary and that shimming causes vertical stringing as the gun heats up. I'd be interested to hear what others think on this.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:44:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Dano - I'm just passing along what my gunsmith(Ronnie Morris of Match Service Works) says. He's not the only person who holds that view. As a High Master shooter and a nationally recognized M1/M14 smith, I'll let his work speak for him.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:16:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Try JB weld with flox(short fiberglass strands) mixed. Never Cracks.  I've been using this for years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top