Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 5:27:55 PM EDT

SOG was selling shooter grade Yugo SKS's for 89.95 so I ordered a couple just because of the price.  Anyway, I am not picky and for the price would have kept whatever they sent.  I got one slathered in Cosmo which has a really nice looking bore and cleaned up pretty nice.  I knew this was going to be the better gun.  The second gun was devoid of any cosmo but had a bore that looked like a rifled sewer pipe.  I mean it was DARK and then some.

I got both of them out to the range today.  Amazingly enough, I was wrong.  The one with the nice bore wasn't grouping all too well and was sort of short stroking.  It wouldn't malfunction, fed and fired fine, but the bolt isn't getting tossed back far enough to lock back on the last shot.  Can't figure that one out.  Anyway, it also didn't seem to want to shoot much of a group.  It was on paper but looked more like a pattern.  I really have to get an SKS sight tool for windage, that might help.  Now the sewer pipe, that was a shooter.  That gun was dead on fed and functioned 100% and made some nice groups including one shot dead center in the X ring of my 100 yd highpower rifle target.  I was mighty impressed.  

The point of this rambling?  Don't automatically discount those rough bores.  You might be pleasantly surprised!

later,
AJ
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes indeed, I picked up a Woodless Dane Rack Grade Garand a couple of monthes ago that swallows a M2 round to the brass. This rifle shoots 4-5 inch groups off the bench at 100 yds, which is pretty close to the 3-4 inch groups I normally can get on a good day.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:58:13 AM EDT
[#2]
i have one of the $39 "sewer pipe" turks that CDNN had from navy arms(5-6 yrs ago).  the stock cleaned up to a very nice tigerstrip/very few dings.  i can get it to shoot 2-3" all day(with turk surplus 8m), and the range where i used to live had a 500m gong that i could hit using the turk ammo 7 shots out of 10 most of the time.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:30:03 AM EDT
[#3]
The crown, lands, and throat affect accuracy the most. Everything else is eye candy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top