Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2005 8:21:59 AM EDT
I just came into possession of a Ithaca M-37. ATM it is in pieces and parts and needs a little TLC. I've plenty of experience working on ARs, AKs, FALS, etc, but I've never taken a pump action shotty apart any further than needed for a cleaning ( remove bbl, mag spring and follower).

Can anyone suggest a good website with info and hopefully a good exploded view of the M-37?

Suggest any relevant books?

Thanks in advance,
echo6  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:34:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey Echo6, if I was around I could help you out with that, but I'm not    I have a number of Model 37s, they are my favorite shotgun (and SBS and AOW too).

The manual for the model 37 can be found at this link.

There is also the Ithaca discussion forum here.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help guys. The main thing I was concerned with was launching a small spring into orbit when I started pulling it apart 'cause I didn't know it was there

I found a reprint of the original shop manual on e-bay and I'm going to wait till it gets here before I start tinkering with it.

It came complete w/ the original stock / forend, a Chocate(sp?) folding stock / slim forend, and a sidesaddle shell carrier. The only thing I'm lacking is a barrel but I figure I should be able to find a used 18" somewhere for cheap.

I'm also going to get to try my hand at refinishing on this one. Right now the receiver and the magazine nut are snow white. I'm seeing a nice dark OD to go along with the Chocate(sp?) black folder it came with. I need to talk a single friend into letting me use their oven, cause my Wife would kill me if I baked a gun here in the house

How hard would it be to drill/tap the top of the receiver for either a sight rail or mounting of a Doktor optic? Is that something the average WECSOG Graduate could do or should I leave that to a pro?

Phil- I may SBS this one but I haven't decided for sure on that yet. I think the non disconnector M-37s make sweet SBSs

echo6
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:10:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Echo6 - not all Ithacas are slam fire.  What's the s/n range?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:37:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Echo6 - not all Ithacas are slam fire.  What's the s/n range?

Phil it's 371084xxx. The seller wasnt sure if it had a disconnecter ( he bought it as a project gun too, just never had the time to get to it ). I spent about 10 min on google... with my extensive research on the SN range I think it was produced in 1972, assuming Ithaca did their SN sequentially and didn't jump around like some other manufacturers.

Also on doing a function check, it doesn't seem like it has a disconnecter, but that could be just something broken too I guess

echo6
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Easy test for slamfire:

- Rack slide
- Press trigger - hear click
- *keep trigger depressed*  do not let up on trigger
- rack slide
- release trigger
- press trigger

If the hammer drops after the second rack, that means it didn't fire when you racked it that second time.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Easy test for slamfire:

- Rack slide
- Press trigger - hear click
- *keep trigger depressed*  do not let up on trigger
- rack slide
- release trigger
- press trigger

If the hammer drops after the second rack, that means it didn't fire when you racked it that second time.

Yep
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top