Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2010 5:50:51 PM EDT
I have had Mine into SA twice for the same problem. It will fire great for a while and then begin miss firing. It doesn't even leave a mark on the back of the primer. I am  no where near new to weapons and the are telling me that there is nothing wrong with it. Has anyone else had these same issues? Both of my mags are from SA. Any help would be appreciated. I have missed harvesting to bucks because of this issue.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#1]
more details, please

The mag would have nothing to do with it if it feeds ok

Do you relaod your own ammo?

What kind of ammo/cases are you using?

is the bolt dirty when this happens?

is the bolt all the way forward when this happens?
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I use factory loaded ammo. Usually federal or remington for target and one of the heavier loads of the sme manufacturers for hunting. I clean all my guns at least every three months, and it feeds right 99 percent of the time.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Explain "Feeds right 99 percent of the time". Not trying to be a smart ass but the more info the better.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 4:22:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I would try another set of mags, did SA use your mags ?
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 5:03:23 AM EDT
[#5]
replace the bolt guts with USGI and make sure the gss system is clean and dry with absolutely zero lube or oil in the cylinder or piston as the system is designed to run dry.

This should fix you right up.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 5:24:11 AM EDT
[#6]
If a round is in chamber, the rifle is in battery, hammer falls with the force of a good hammer spring, good firing pin hitting a good primer = boom.  Which is the issue?  All can not be present if it fails to fire.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 7:53:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't understand the issue - if SA has checked it out "twice" and found no problem then I am at a loss to identify your problem. If it fires most of the time but then skips I would first suspect the ammo - then mag - then take bolt apart and clean it to make sure there is nothing causint the firing pin to randomly misfire.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like a ammo issue.

If the bolt isn't fully closed the hammer is blocked from hitting the firing pin. If the bolt is almost in battery the safety nose on hammer will cam the bolt closed sometimes with not enough force left to get a good firing pin hit..

Take the rifle out again with the same ammo, after each shot visual check to see bolt is rotated fully into battery before pulling trigger.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I wonder if the bolt is not rotated into battery. The rear of the firing pin may not be clear.

Are you lubing your bolt and op rod with grease or oil? have you lube your bolt roller?
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Please explain how mags can cause missfires.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 5:24:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please explain how mags can cause missfires.

If there is any drag on the bolt from the mag, it can cause the bolt to not go into battery.  When the bolt is out of battery, the leg on the firing pin is intercepted by a cross support in the receiver and won't fire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top