Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2015 12:36:45 PM EDT
I've got a specwar 762 and absolutely love it.

I have a Savage 308 and a Thompson pro hunter 308 for long range and hunting applications, respectively.

I want to thread them for a suppressor but don't want to leave a mount on them.

This got me thinking, can't you just attach the mount to the suppressor, lock it, and use the mount as a direct thread?

Are there any problems associated with this line of thinking (assuming it stays tight while shooting)?

Does anyone know of a direct thread mount for the specwar?

Thanks, I look forward to some expert opinions, I'm just now getting into suppressors.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:41:25 PM EDT
More length and weight.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:42:59 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
More length and weight.
View Quote

and cost
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:52:22 PM EDT
Quoted:

and cost
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
More length and weight.

and cost

Yes, I understand that. But people buy specific suppressors just because they offer a direct thread.

My point is, every suppressor is a direct thread. Right? I understand it will cost more and be heavier than a devoted direct thread, but you can use every suppressor as a direct thread.

My question is, are there any concerns using a mount as a direct thread for various firearms?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:53:31 PM EDT
I guess you could assuming it stays nice, tight, and concentric. You're adding unnecessary weight and length though, and if you're looking to direct thread you're likely better off getting something more suited to the purpose. The Harvester is well suited to bolt guns, and is a direct thread. Usually people get quick attach suppressors for that feature, if you don't want that you can generally get a cheaper can that lacks this feature, saving you weight and size as well.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:06:05 PM EDT
You want to take the QD mount off at regular intervals to prevent carbon locking of the mount onto the can.

As far as using a QD suppressor as a thread-on, sure you could do it, but as mentioned above, you wind up with a weight penalty. You also take on a performance penalty - for example, if you consider a 7.62SD and a Cyclone, both are about the same length, but the Cyclone has two extra baffles because that space inside the tube isn't taken up by a huge blast chamber that needs to accommodate the flash hider/muzzle brake.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:53:46 PM EDT
Quoted:
You want to take the QD mount off at regular intervals to prevent carbon locking of the mount onto the can.

View Quote

This would be my concern
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:54:55 PM EDT
Direct Thread = the suppressor mopunts directly to the barrel. Its pros are light weight, less length and cheaper.

Quick Detach (QD) = A mount attached to the barrel and then the suppressor attached to the mount. They are popular because it can easily be take on and off and used on many rifles easily.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:02:16 PM EDT
Quoted:
Direct Thread = the suppressor mopunts directly to the barrel. Its pros are light weight, less length and cheaper.
View Quote

And [supposedly] less POI shift than QD. I run a Mystic on my 16" AR that is primarily shot off a bench.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:04:56 PM EDT
Swapping the mount from rifle to rifle with a wrench accomplishes the same thing. Often people do that for a little bit till they get tired of it and just buy a mount for every host.

Buying a can with a QD system and then not using it is just like buying a pickup truck to use as a family car. If you're never going to haul with it might as well get something lighter.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:02:59 PM EDT
The biggest one outside of everything being concentric, would be Indexing of the mount. Suppressor mounts / brakes etc require (the majority) they be indexed . This way you have the brake (as an example) with the blast areas facing to the left & right of the bbl. You will never get the same indexing on all your rifles using the same brake. Unless you send the brake out with the bbls you want threaded. Paying a smith to have each bbl - brake indexed so it sits correctly, is more costly than using shims to get the brake where you want it.
Down the road you will end up with a suppressor brake or flash hider on each long gun. Unless you're using a direct thread suppressor.

There is 1 can i have where the hider is secured to the can and not bbl. That's a Gemtech HALO using an A1 f/hider as the mounting unit.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:45:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:46:35 PM EDT
Quoted:

It really doesn't matter how the brake is indexed if the suppressor is attached. It only matters if you're shooting unsuppressed.

OP, there's no issue with leaving the mount in the can and just threading it directly on hosts. As mentioned, you'll want to clean it periodically to keep the mount from locking up inside the can. Concentricity isn't an issue. If the threads are concentric before you thread the mount on, they will always be concentric unless you significantly damage them. It's not like the setup will become "out of alignment" just because you're taking the muzzle device on and off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Suppressor mounts / brakes etc require (the majority) they be indexed . This way you have the brake (as an example) with the blast areas facing to the left & right of the bbl. You will never get the same indexing on all your rifles using the same brake.

It really doesn't matter how the brake is indexed if the suppressor is attached. It only matters if you're shooting unsuppressed.

OP, there's no issue with leaving the mount in the can and just threading it directly on hosts. As mentioned, you'll want to clean it periodically to keep the mount from locking up inside the can. Concentricity isn't an issue. If the threads are concentric before you thread the mount on, they will always be concentric unless you significantly damage them. It's not like the setup will become "out of alignment" just because you're taking the muzzle device on and off.

Thanks for clarifying, this is exactly what I was wondering.

Basically, I have 3 mounts for my SpecWar and 2 of them are already attached to rifles. I have 2 more rifles I want to use the suppressor with and only 1 more mount. I was hoping to "share" the mount until I'm able to save up some more cash for a mount. Plus, I don't want to leave the mount on my hunting rifle when I'm not using the suppressor (I'll be hunting in NC where suppressors are legal to hunt with, and in MD where they are not).

It would be nice if SiCo sold a direct thread mount for the Specwar (basically just threads on both ends) that would save on the weight. I would pay just as much as a standard mount for that if it was available.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:49:37 AM EDT
Quoted:

Basically, I have 3 mounts for my SpecWar and 2 of them are already attached to rifles. I have 2 more rifles I want to use the suppressor with and only 1 more mount. I was hoping to "share" the mount until I'm able to save up some more cash for a mount. Plus, I don't want to leave the mount on my hunting rifle when I'm not using the suppressor (I'll be hunting in NC where suppressors are legal to hunt with, and in MD where they are not).

It would be nice if SiCo sold a direct thread mount for the Specwar (basically just threads on both ends) that would save on the weight. I would pay just as much as a standard mount for that if it was available.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Suppressor mounts / brakes etc require (the majority) they be indexed . This way you have the brake (as an example) with the blast areas facing to the left & right of the bbl. You will never get the same indexing on all your rifles using the same brake.

Get a flash hider mount, then.
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.