Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2006 4:47:27 PM EDT
Is this thing suppose to have a little play in it?

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:53:23 PM EDT
[#1]
No.  I recommend having a gunsmith correct the problem.  There should be no wiggle in the operating rod guide.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:14:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Your op rod guide should be tight on the barrel. you can fix it by removing the roll pin and tapping the guide off of  the barrel.  the barrel will have splines pressed into it  where the guide  was. you need to raise some material around the barrel in this area. you can do that with a hand knurling tool (looks like a pipe cutter) or use a sharp center punch. If you use the punch strike the splines at about a 45 deg. angle (not to hard) try to make evenly spaced punch marks around the barrel, do about two or three rows from breech to muzzle. you will then have to drive the op rod guide back onto the barrel using a soft faced hammer or a piece of wood. Use the op rod and your gas piston as a guide to ensure proper alignment. you can then install the roll pin. This should take care of your problem.       PATRIOT ARMORY 07 FFL
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#3]
How common is this problem?  I purchased the barrel as new.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I got the guide rod off.  I don't see any splines.

Is this a simple fix when I send the entire parts kit to the builder?

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:05:31 AM EDT
[#5]
There is no splines .  Normally it is a slight press or atleast a tight fit. The roll pin is extra insurance. I don't know all the if and how to correct it. But you could try another oprod guide / new one and see if that put it on there tight and snugg. Use a new roll pin when you reattach. If that doesn't do it you can send it out and a good M14 smith can nurle it and solve the problem. Ted Brown ( Shooters Den ) is a good choice. He is very good and normally has a fast turn around. He's out of oregon. Ive seen this before .It's easily fixed. Don't sweat it. Good Luck WarDawg
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:34:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Are most barrels like this?

I'm not going to keep this barrel if this isn't "normal"

I don't want a bandaide solution.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:53:17 AM EDT
[#9]
What is the diameter of the barel suppose to be under the op rod guide.

I measured mine to be 0.8010"

Scott
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:56:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Who would have new op rod guides?

Also, is there suppose to be parkerizing underneight where the gas cylinder sits?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:25:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:05:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The answer to your questions is most likely to be found in Kuhnhausen, my copy of which is temporarily unavailable to me.  Someone else will have to give you an answer.

.801" dia  -.002"

The Jerry Kuhnhausen  Shop manueal also states that alittle movement is normal and acceptable with USGI barrel. It states that that only in a NM set up should it be  Solid with out execption.  I will post later word for word if I have time. WarDawg

This is on pg 298 Jerry K shop manual  Volume I & II .  Figure 345 : .. Quote " Some amount of operating rod guide side play is normal in an issue grade M14 Rifle and helps the operating rod guide and op rod self align. "

Hope this helps.. WarDawg
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:18:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I spoke with this gentleman, who presently makes his living with the M14. Broke the weapon down, and checked the oprod guide. It has the same play that you describe, the barrel had no "splines" to force the oprod guide onto, and upon removal of the oprod guide, the barrel looked exactly the same as yours. The weapon works VERY well. It is a US GOVT Springfield armory rifle. HTH, YMMV

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
and upon removal of the oprod guide, the barrel looked exactly the same as yours.

I can see it now "Why the hell is your weapon deadlined?" "Uh, well, this little part won't go back on right." "Why are you fucking taking that off?" "Well, this dude online......"

Unless he's an armorer or something higher, methinks trying to pull second or third level tricks in theater isn't the smartest thing I've ever heard of.And if he is in a maint. position that qualifies him to do that, what the fuck is he carrying a '14 for? Cuz it's cool?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Amusing reply, well now, lets see,

Nope, not maint
Yes, was an armorer, back in the 90's
Is the NCO the armorer goes to when he dosent know what the hell is up
You would pobably shit yourself if you knew the second or thrid level tricks that scouts do with their weapons in theatre. Ever heard of chucking yor M240B or a coax gas regulator under a drill press and opening up position 3 a little bit?
Methinks I give a damn what you think the smartest thing you ever heard of is. If you are so damn incompetent that you cannot drive out one roll pin with one punch and slide one piece of steel forward, you need to quit stealing oxygen.

He carries the m14 because he is a designated marksman in a scout platoon.

Oh, and well, because I can. I LOVE my job. Peace out dude. Later  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:48:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You would pobably shit yourself if you knew the second or thrid level tricks that scouts do with their weapons in theatre. Ever heard of chucking yor M240B or a coax gas regulator under a drill press and opening up position 3 a little bit?

Actually no, I probably would not shit myself because I've seen soldiers do all sorts of stupid shit that they thought was a good idea. Probably did a bit of it myself. But oddly enough, I do recall a lot of the stuff I saw or heard about was attributed to the "legends in their own minds" of the scout platoon.I'm glad to see that trait wasn't limited to just my unit.

And honestly, Joe can usually break an anvil with a rubber mallet, I don't care how skilled of a gunsmith he might be, there's a reason Joe isn't suppose to do a lot of shit with their equipment that may seem simple or idiot proof.Dismounting the op rod guide in theater just  so you can compare it with something you saw online is decidedly dumb.If I'd ever seen any of my guys pullin' stunts like that, they'd get a size 10 leather injection up their ass. But since your buddy apparently has a lot of time in and a little rank, obviously he's above the regs and no one gives a damn. Oh well. YMMV.Have a good one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top