Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/18/2006 6:13:19 AM EDT
Well, I decided to pick up a SAI scope mount off gunbroker. Used, but the price was right.....or so I thought.

I didn't get an instruction manual, but from looking at the pieces, I've figured out that I'm going to have to somehow remove the stripper clip guide. What concerns me is that the piece that goes where the stripper clip guide appears to have some damage. There is a small tube, which is probably the screw, sticking out of what will be the top of piece. I'm assuming you use this as a screw to secure the piece in place. But, when I look at it, I see what is likely some kind of damage. There is a slit in the middle of the screw that runs the lenght of it vertically. The metal near the top appears to have a chunk missing.

I tried to take a picture of it with my digital camera, but its so small that the damage doesn't show up on my antique camera. Can anyone confirm that this is damage, or better yet, post a link or pic to what the pin SHOULD look like? I'd really like to make sure I have my facts straight before I rip the dealer who sold me what appears to be a damaged part.

Thanks in advance...wishing I'd saved my money for an SEI.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:19:36 AM EDT
It's a roll pin, it's suppose to look like that.Drive it out and replace with the scope mount hardware.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:36:21 AM EDT
Yes, that is a roll pin. As Bishop stated, remove the pin tapping it out with a small punch. Insert the clip guide piece in from right to left (op rod side being right) and gently tap into place where you can reinsert the roll pin (might be a good idea to replace the pin with a new one).

Then again you might want to consider just relisting the SAI mount for sale and saving for a SEI, Sadlak or ARMS and save the hassel that most experience with SAI mounts.

Karsten
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:00:23 PM EDT
Alright, great! Thanks to all who responded. I have a few more questions now:

1)Do I remove the stripper clip guide pin with an allen wrech?

2) What kind of punch should I use to remove the pin?

3) Will any roll pin suffice, or do I need to order one from SAI?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:12:22 PM EDT
Use a punch that fits in the hole and not one that will split or expand the Roll Pin. You should be able to find the correct size Roll pin at any decent hardware store. Look for teh Red/Blue racks of specialty fasters and what not.

Karsten
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:42:18 PM EDT
Ok. Thanks for the answers and your patience! I genuinely appreciate the helpfulness of AR15.comers.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:29:48 PM EDT
if it is used... I hope you didn't pay more than $60 for it
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:16:31 AM EDT
Pick up a set of roll pin punches. Makes life easier and you can use then on anything with roll pins in it. They have a little nipple on the end which will center it in the pin so it doesnt slip off and doesnt expand the pin like a tapered punch can do.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:38:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HighPowerShooter:

Well, just a little. I called Springfield today to check about getting a manual for it.

The lady there told me that you can't use M1A scope mounts on rifles other than the one they were originally put on, because the mount will conform to the grooves on the rifles, and it won't be a tight fit if you put it on a different rifle. Is that true?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:08:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/19/2006 2:17:24 PM EDT by CaliBear13]
You will need a 3/32" roll pin/tension pin punch to drive the pin out. Drive the pin out from the bottom through the top. You will then need to gently tap the cartridge guide off.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:26:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By agillig:

Well, just a little. I called Springfield today to check about getting a manual for it.

The lady there told me that you can't use M1A scope mounts on rifles other than the one they were originally put on, because the mount will conform to the grooves on the rifles, and it won't be a tight fit if you put it on a different rifle. Is that true?

Other mounts will work fine on the M1A. Some ARMS mounts don't fit correctly or need fitting as the springfield receiver exterior shape is not made to mil spec demensions. Most scope mounts have some adjustability built into them so they fit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:11:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By chuck1:

Other mounts will work fine on the M1A. Some ARMS mounts don't fit correctly or need fitting as the springfield receiver exterior shape is not made to mil spec demensions. Most scope mounts have some adjustability built into them so they fit.

Well, what she was saying is that if you take a scope mount that was mounted to your friend's rifle and try to put it on yours, it won't fit. Is she just trying to discourage me from buying a used product when I could be giving SAI my money for a new product?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:38:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By chuck1:

Well, what she was saying is that if you take a scope mount that was mounted to your friend's rifle and try to put it on yours, it won't fit. Is she just trying to discourage me from buying a used product when I could be giving SAI my money for a new product?

As I recall the method of installing any SA Mount is to tighten it down, pound on the left side with something like a Dead Blow Hammer, tighten again and start pounding and repeat until the mount has mated with the reciever grooves.

Hence, save for a SEI, Sadlack or ARMS mount.

Karsten
Top Top