Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2012 3:39:09 PM EDT
I saw this today,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221004316560
and it got me thinking.

I know a little bit about titanium, and I know Grade5 is the shit, but I don't know much about the metals selected for silencers. Is grade5 any good for a silencer?

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Most cans that I am aware of use Grades 5 and 9 titanium.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Most cans that I am aware of use Grades 5 and 9 titanium.

Yeah thats why they so dang expensive....
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Right, and I've seen Grade9 tube and Grade5 round bar, but I've never seen Grade5 tube. Is there any reason people use Grade9 and not Grade5 for tube? Would this make a good tube?
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 8:02:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used 6al4v and 3al2v for tubes . Its all expensive . And depending on what your doing that piece should work . I wouldn't thin the tube out much though if its for a larger center fire .
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Right, and I've seen Grade9 tube and Grade5 round bar, but I've never seen Grade5 tube. Is there any reason people use Grade9 and not Grade5 for tube? Would this make a good tube?

I've zero experience machining Ti, but if it's like steel the designations sometimes take into account the forming process.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 4:56:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I assume you know Titanium turnings and dust is flammable, so keep that in mind and use appropriate safety measures.
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 12:46:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Not to sound negative about your idea of making a titanium can,  but if you aren't familiar with machining titanium,  it's probably not the right material for you to build your own with.  

Practice it a bit,  and see if you can find prints for a Ti suppressor.  Exotic metals don't turn like high carbon steel,  and may end up with poor results if you aren't used to it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I assume you know Titanium turnings and dust is flammable, so keep that in mind and use appropriate safety measures.

You aint kidding...  When I started working Ti a few years ago, I tried to heat color a small pile of shavings from drilling.  I think I can still see the white light...

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#9]
do you know titanium will harden if drilled to fast? you will know when you go to tap it...

if i was going to carry a suppressed pistol or maybe long gun for long distances then i might get some TI but for plinking a few hundred rounds a week i would run stainless or aluminum (for a .22)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top