Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2008 10:29:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/17/2008 10:31:09 PM EDT by blackta6]
I just purchased a 1903 A3, and have been in the market for ammo. I have been trying different manufacturers to find out what the rifle likes. I was glancing through the classifieds in my local paper, and this add sticks out, 30-06 ammo for sale. I thought from the conversations I had with this person, that it was just ammo the guy had sitting around. Turned out that he was only selling it to pay for some unexpected medical bills. As the box reads, manufactured from mil-spec recovered components. All the headstamps on the casings are LC 4 7. What is this, and is it good?

ETA: On the back there is a pic of an eagle or hawk with the name Talon.

oblagatory pic:
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 11:08:46 PM EDT
I wasn't paying full attention to them but I think Talon was a up and comer about five years ago but they got their tit caught in wringer for something or other.

Dennis Jenkins

Originally Posted By blackta6:
I just purchased a 1903 A3, and have been in the market for ammo. I have been trying different manufacturers to find out what the rifle likes. I was glancing through the classifieds in my local paper, and this add sticks out, 30-06 ammo for sale. I thought from the conversations I had with this person, that it was just ammo the guy had sitting around. Turned out that he was only selling it to pay for some unexpected medical bills. As the box reads, manufactured from mil-spec recovered components. All the headstamps on the casings are LC 4 7. What is this, and is it good?

ETA: On the back there is a pic of an eagle or hawk with the name Talon.

oblagatory pic:
img257.imageshack.us/img257/5095/p1010002bs1.jpg
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:24:39 AM EDT
I've shot lots of Talon out of my M1 Garand. As I recall they cleaned up old mil surplus ammo with new power and primers, repackaged it and sold it.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:44:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By djenkins:
I wasn't paying full attention to them but I think Talon was a up and comer about five years ago but they got their tit caught in wringer for something or other.

Dennis Jenkins

Got anymore info on that? Did a quick google search last night, and it didn't come up with anything.

So the seller had about 4 ammo cans full of this stuff. He wasn't receiving the turnout that he had hoped. I was entertaining the idea of buying it, but I don't know values for 30-06 in general. Given that commercial ammo goes for $18-32, per box, in this area, what would a fair offer per box, be for this stuff? He said he'd throw in the ammo cans for free!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:58:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/18/2008 7:01:15 AM EDT by M1G]
Unless I could get it real cheap .10- .15 per rd I would buy Greek HXP ammo from CMP
Talon remanufacture does seem to have a real good reputation
http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=12311
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:25:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/21/2008 3:32:07 PM EDT by Rustynut]
It goes for $10 - $12 a box around here.

What I remember about this is because of Clinton the government wouldn't sell surplus ammo. I don't remember if the CMP was affected or not. So there was a place that disassembled each round and then talon would buy the componits reassemble and sell it under their name. It's assembled with all new componits that have been put back together. I've never shot it but I've also never heard anything bad about it.

Your tax dollars at work.
Top Top