Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2012 11:30:29 AM EDT

Had my lower engraved at a local jewelry store. I HATE the font they used. My fault. But, they didn't charge me anything.

Does it look deep enough to you? I don't mind having it redone from another engraver if I have to.

Thanks

Edit- Updated so I don't get raped.
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Now I will find you and rape you.

But in all seriousness, the engraving depth must be at least .003 inches deep.
Your best bet is to ask the jeweler what depth they engraved at.
Hard telling you over the internet.

Also that font is gigantic.
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 12:05:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, yeah the font is great isn't it.

I asked the engraver to make it .003 inches deep, and they looked at my funny and said that they would do the best they could.

Link Posted: 10/24/2012 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Hoooolyyyyy shit.  If you haven't sent off your paperwork yet I would get another lower and have the work done right.  Maybe someone could remove that disaster from  your lower but it would likely be the same cost as a new lower.  That is unacceptable.
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#4]
.003 is not very deep... a piece of copy paper will mic out at
.004. if your finger nail will catch on it I would say you are
GTG on the depth. As for the font put some aluminum black
on it to make it blend in and enjoy your new SBR.
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree with Fairplay, .003 isn’t that deep and it should be good depth wise if you can catch your nail in it.   Now wait till you get the stamp back and shoot the crap out of it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2iqy51y.jpg

Had my lower engraved at a local jewelry store. I HATE the font they used. My fault. But, they didn't charge me anything.

Does it look deep enough to you? I don't mind having it redone from another engraver if I have to.

Thanks

Did you really just scrub out the state with it still listed right under your join date?!?

Engraving looks fine to me, as long as it catches the fingernail.

Link Posted: 10/24/2012 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#7]
By the way, I don't think the engraving looks bad.
But as others have said if you can run your nail across it and feel an indent you should be fine.

Link Posted: 10/24/2012 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Did you really just scrub out the state with it still listed right under your join date?!?

Hahaha I was just thinking the same thing
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Your engraving should match the stock engraving in depth.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 2:02:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Law saws .003 deep. Looks fine to me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 4:32:45 AM EDT
[#11]

based on the average "thickness" of type III hard anodizing, as would be used on any "milspec" receiver, if you can see bare aluminum through the engraving you are at least damned close to the correct minimum depth.

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 5:12:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

based on the average "thickness" of type III hard anodizing, as would be used on any "milspec" receiver, if you can see bare aluminum through the engraving you are at least damned close to the correct minimum depth.

that's what I want to hear.

Thanks.

I actually put aluminium black on it a few times because the engraving was sooo shiny. The flash of the camera kind of brought it back out.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 2:33:11 AM EDT
[#13]
If you find yourself in a situation where the law is checking the depth of your engraving you probably have bigger problems to deal with, I would not lose sleep over it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 7:29:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you find yourself in a situation where the law is checking the depth of your engraving you probably have bigger problems to deal with, I would not lose sleep over it.

I agree. The ATF has ONE of the custom made optical measuring tools to measure the depth of engraving. If your SBR was sent to the lab for a check of engraving depth, you have bigger problems than that.

Link Posted: 10/28/2012 7:07:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Engraving depth looks fine.  Hell, I like the font and size.  With all the crap you have to go through to get an SBR I see it as a badge of honor.  The bigger the better, I want EVERYONE to know.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Engraving depth looks fine.  Hell, I like the font and size.  With all the crap you have to go through to get an SBR I see it as a badge of honor.  The bigger the better, I want EVERYONE to know.

This. Mine is deeper and is block letters. I like yours and I would not worry about it. It's a gun, not a work of art. Laser engraving on a lower is 0.003 and doesn't go through the anodizing. If your engraving is through the anodizing, it's deeper than 0.003. No worries. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Will someone please lock this so I don't have to be ridiculed anymore.. haha
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 5:32:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Will someone please lock this so I don't have to be ridiculed anymore.. haha

You don't deserve to have it locked until you get laughed at at least 20 more times.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I will just add for anyone who might want a reference the average human hair is about between .0025-.003 " so those who suggested the fingernail test were giving you a  good reference.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Your engraving should match the stock engraving in depth.

Not necessarily true, depending on the depth of the stock engraving.  The ATF's depth requirement has already been mentioned, and FWIW laser engraving also satisfies that requirement.  I would think anything done in a jewelry shop would meet or exceed that requirement, regardless of font selection.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:54:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Next time you should do it in Kristen ITC font.
“This AR belongs to: ....:”
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top