Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2004 6:30:05 PM EDT
The headstamp has "K A 7 2"

Its kinda grungy looking and came in en bloc clips. $100 for 384rnds in an ammo can.

Also. Is there a right and wrong way to load the clips? Round at the nipple?
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Your headstamp is Korean.  Did you buy one of the Korean 30-06 cans?  I've heard that it's a little corrosive, but I have no actual experience with it.  If it goes bang when you pull the trigger, it can't be that bad.  I haven't heard of any blow up yet so...
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh, check the pinned thread at the top of the M1/M1A page.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:40:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Its good ammo, but is corrosive so clean accordingly.  I start loading clips on the bottom left so that the first round in is coming from the top right.

What changes from normal cleaning should I do? How long does it take for the stuff to corrode the barrel? Minutes? Hours? Days?

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:44:33 PM EDT
[#5]
First thing, if you paid $100, you got ripped off.  The same stuff is $75 delivered from Centerfire Systems.  It is corrsive, so clean with some Windex or hot water first and then clean normally.  Be sure to clean your barrel (and gas port), bolt face and oprod.  The gas cylinder is stainless steel but clean it as well.  I use it, but only in my 1917.  It will start rusting in a couple days or so depending on humidity in your area.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:16:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just bear in mind that for the entire time that these rifles were our primary small arm they were shot with corrosive ammo.  Its not a big deal but cleaning is not to be ignored.  I go with a shot of windex down the barrel when I get home.  followed by a windex soaked patch or butch's bore shine, then breakdown and clean as normal making sure to use windex wherever the powder fouling touches.  comes out nice and clean, no rust yet.  Just make sure to dry and relube when you're done.  Only ads a couple minutes to normal cleaning and the windex will actually get your barrel cleaner faster than normal gun cleaning products.  

Jeez, you were right about the rust. I shot it yesterday, and ran a boresnake thru it when I got home and cleaned it today. Well the patches were coming out brown with the windex treatment and I thought shit, that has to be rust. I stuck a bore light in and sure enough it looked like mud! Aaaack! I thought my bore was ruined! I got out my heavy duty bore cleaner and a bronze brush and went to work. Phew! It cleaned up real nice and shiny, no pitting.
Next time it will get windexed at the range and cleaned right away. Whats good non-corrosive ammo and where can I get it?
Dont say CMP, I am not a citizen. That comes next year.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just bear in mind that for the entire time that these rifles were our primary small arm they were shot with corrosive ammo.  Its not a big deal but cleaning is not to be ignored.  I go with a shot of windex down the barrel when I get home.  followed by a windex soaked patch or butch's bore shine, then breakdown and clean as normal making sure to use windex wherever the powder fouling touches.  comes out nice and clean, no rust yet.  Just make sure to dry and relube when you're done.  Only ads a couple minutes to normal cleaning and the windex will actually get your barrel cleaner faster than normal gun cleaning products.  

Jeez, you were right about the rust. I shot it yesterday, and ran a boresnake thru it when I got home and cleaned it today. Well the patches were coming out brown with the windex treatment and I thought shit, that has to be rust. I stuck a bore light in and sure enough it looked like mud! Aaaack! I thought my bore was ruined! I got out my heavy duty bore cleaner and a bronze brush and went to work. Phew! It cleaned up real nice and shiny, no pitting.
Next time it will get windexed at the range and cleaned right away. Whats good non-corrosive ammo and where can I get it?
Dont say CMP, I am not a citizen. That comes next year.

I hope you also cleaned the bolt, op rod, gas cylinder, ect.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top