Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 7/7/2017 9:24:16 PM EDT
I am just wondering is times tuff, or are they just no good anymore. Is there something new coming like an M5?
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool guy guns that don't really get used would be my guess.  Seriously what's the point of a $2k shotgun when a AR15 is clearly the better weapon?
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:44:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am just wondering is times tuff, or are they just no good anymore. Is there something new coming like an M5?
View Quote

If you shot one you would understand!
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:55:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I am still waiting for a steal of a deal on one. It's just crazy how many are for sale currently.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#5]
They are nice but in the case of mine it rarely gets used.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:01:14 PM EDT
[#6]
It's on my list... just a little further down then buying right now. Getting ready to move, got a new kid, trying to pinch pennies to buy an mp5 clone.... i need to win the fucking lottery.

I just want one because I used it in the USMC. Got the M4gery and an m9... figure why the fuck not.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I had an m4 and sold it .  It's a great gun and functions flawlessly.  My gun had a pg stock.  If it came with the collapsible stock and held more rounds, I might have kept it.  As it was , it did nothing for me that my m2 with the pg stock did not do
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:44:58 PM EDT
[#8]
There are cheaper and better guns out there.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:12:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Wrong
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong
No, really you would.  There are much better guns out there. The 1301 or even an M2.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Opinions are like........well you know.

It's the current political environment that is driving the sales. Prior to the election people were buying all the weapons they wanted and thought that might not be able to get in the future.  Now, they have decided to sell the toys and redirect money toward needs.

There are better options than a Benelli M4, and there are worse options. I had one for years, sold it. It simply never got used, my 870p is my go-to shotgun.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:31:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Jumped on the band wagon then had some remorse.
It happens to the best of us with different firearms.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:36:39 AM EDT
[#12]
It's because they shot an M2.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I wanted an M4 for years and stumbled upon one this spring that had the full mag tube and collapsible stock and got it for 1,450 OTD. It was very slightly used. I have never been a shotgun fan but I love the m4, I carry it around the farm a lot, especially this time of the year, it's a snake blaster. I also ordered some chokes and a variety of shells to be able to use it for coyote and turkey hunting. Mine has a forever home but I'm thankful for the sell offs because it got me a deal on mine.

As stated above I think the sell off is more related to the less tense political environment towards guns, guns are being sold across the board not just Benelli M4s
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:46:55 AM EDT
[#14]
It's because the M4 is seriously overhyped.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No, really you would.  There are much better guns out there. The 1301 or even an M2.
View Quote
still wrong

I own a M4, 1301 and a M2.
The M4 is by far the better hard use shotgun.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#16]
As to why they're on the EE... same reason there's a LOT of stuff on the EE.
People made a bunch of pre-election panic buys on credit and the bills have come due.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#17]
How many people use shotguns for much of anything anymore? It's a weapon who's time came and went for most of what it was designed to do. Are they still useful? Absolutely, but considering how many are out there, most sit and collect rust and dust and that's about it. Other then turkey hunting, what bird hunting season attracts hunters like it once did?

I have a couple [870's] sitting around but they were only bought for deer in lower Mi and once I got into handgun hunting, they just sit.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong
They are cheaper. Not better

I've shot all 3. Only carried one through a hostile city.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Other then turkey hunting, what bird hunting season attracts hunters like it once did?
View Quote
You live in Michigan, come down to Texas or anywhere in the south for dove season and then ask that question. I get it, y'all have Woodcock and Grouse, we have Dove and Quail for days. I go to tactical classes, I've shot 3-Gun, IDPA, Clays leagues, I did my time with Uncle Sam, but nothing compares to bird hunting in my eyes and it will always be a staple in my life until I physically can't walk the field any longer.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 2:19:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's because the M4 is seriously overhyped.
View Quote
This is funny. There are some other comparable options out there like the FN and new 1301 and while cheaper they are not better. Tactical shotguns have a very limited use outside of a military unit or police force but I still enjoy owning one. I've put mine to good use mowing down pigs from the UTV.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Cool guy guns that don't really get used would be my guess.  Seriously what's the point of a $2k shotgun when a AR15 is clearly the better weapon?
View Quote
FPNI
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 2:21:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 2:22:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 2:24:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

How many people use shotguns for much of anything anymore? It's a weapon who's time came and went for most of what it was designed to do. Are they still useful? Absolutely, but considering how many are out there, most sit and collect rust and dust and that's about it. Other then turkey hunting, what bird hunting season attracts hunters like it once did?

Well between trap, skeet, sporting clays, quail, ducks, geese, pheasants, grouse, doves, turkey, backyard clays, three gun, cowboy action, rabbits, squirrels, and other game animals I think shotgun will be around for a while.
View Quote
I agree they will be around for a LONG time. However, since most of the population doesn't live in the middle of nowhere anymore and hunting is nowhere as common as it once was [and in a generation or three even far less common then now] a shotgun is not needed like it once was and there are tons of them sitting around that have done nothing including seeing the light of day for a long time.

I know LOTS of people who deer hunt personally though not as many as 20 years ago, hardcore bird hunters, I know a few and 1/2 of those are in it as much for the dog side of it as the actual shooting of the birds side. [and I am serious about that] Young bird hunters............man, I really have to think about it because I can't think of any off the top of my head, even those who's Dad still bird hunts. [other then turkey maybe]
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 3:25:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How much do the Marines use them? Are they just fancy breaching shotguns? 

Still kinda want one
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's on my list... just a little further down then buying right now. Getting ready to move, got a new kid, trying to pinch pennies to buy an mp5 clone.... i need to win the fucking lottery.

I just want one because I used it in the USMC. Got the M4gery and an m9... figure why the fuck not.

Still kinda want one
I used mine alot in Fallujah. Hardly ever used it to breach.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 3:53:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Dove hunting around here is big business. Opening day is almost a holiday. Throw in ducks, quail, turkeys, and even sporting clays. Put about a case or more through my Benelli for the past 20 years.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Benelli M4 with a 600 lumen Surefire loaded with 9 rounds of Flite-Control #1B is the first gun up on deck in my bedroom safe.
I live semi-rural edge of the city and 999 times out of 1000 the problem I have to take care of in the middle of the night will be of the 4-legged variety, whether it's a coyote, fox or feral dog there's nothing that puts them down faster or harder than a load of buckshot (and I've shot plenty of them with every gun you can think of).
If that 1 in 1000 turns out to be a meth head or two... I'm 100% confident that #1B will take care of them as well.

If I get a heads up via my dogs and cameras that a cartel hit squad is stacking up at my door I'll just reach behind the M4 and grab the AUG loaded with 42 rounds of 5.56.
But fantasy scenarios like that just don't play much of a factor in what firearms I keep handy.

My funeral...
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#32]
So your all saying they are being sold off because they're not purple. lol I'm playing great info. Thanks everyone for contributing to this thread. I'm still waiting on a deal for a 1301 tactical or a m4 to happen if it doesn't ok someday it will I have no doubt. thanks again.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#33]
With the exception of my 50bmgs nothing else puts a larger chunk of lead down range than a shotgun with slugs.  Only this forum finds that useless or irrelevant. I love my M4, collapsible stock, full length mag tube, and all.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#34]
I still shot my 870's and my mossy 500's and my Winchester model 12 and my browning gold hunter a lot. Slugs, birdshot,buckshot, from fun to clays to pest. Someday I will add another though I'm not even mentioning my single shots and double barrels either.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#35]
I love mine. Has a Scalar Works mount with a T1 micro, titanium 7 round tube, and an IWC light mount.

One hell of a hog gun out of my tripod stand.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:11:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Cause there are enough more pictures of Marines I need Iraq with them so basement dwellers (or the arfkom version, divorced self made pay cash millionares  with real estate portfolios, watches, watch photos,  ten inch dicks and carpal tunnel from tinder ) are buying whatever it is the magazines are telling them to now?
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Be careful where you hold it when trying to bump fire it.    
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:20:12 PM EDT
[#38]
I have the Berretta HK model, the M1, M2, and M4. for killing things that need killin the M4 is my to go gun. 
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:07:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Really? Why would they have someone using a shotgun instead of a carbine? Not that I want someone shooting a shotgun at me
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used mine alot in Fallujah. Hardly ever used it to breach.
Really? Why would they have someone using a shotgun instead of a carbine? Not that I want someone shooting a shotgun at me
No one had carbines back in 04. The 1014 was easier to manuver than A4s and a hell of alot easier than my SAW.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:25:45 PM EDT
[#40]
The M4 is one of those guns that seems like an awesome idea until you actually get one. They work great and are built like a tank but useless for 3 gun, trap, skeet, bird hunting or any other use most people have for a shotgun. I had one for a few years and played with about every mod you can do to one short of making it an SBS. With a red dot they are a blast to play with at the range. Eventually the novelty wore off and I found myself using one of several other shotguns when I wanted/needed one. I actually liked my M3 much more than the M4.

There is nothing wrong with them just most people don't have a use for them. They buy them cause they are cool and the novelty wears off. Like a whole lot of shit in life.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 4:46:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The M4 is one of those guns that seems like an awesome idea until you actually get one. They work great and are built like a tank but useless for 3 gun, trap, skeet, bird hunting or any other use most people have for a shotgun. I had one for a few years and played with about every mod you can do to one short of making it an SBS. With a red dot they are a blast to play with at the range. Eventually the novelty wore off and I found myself using one of several other shotguns when I wanted/needed one. I actually liked my M3 much more than the M4.

There is nothing wrong with them just most people don't have a use for them. They buy them cause they are cool and the novelty wears off. Like a whole lot of shit in life.
View Quote
C'mon...
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 5:51:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Fucking awesome shotgun but eventually you get to wondering wtf you bought a shotgun with only one barrel.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:30:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right?

A friend picked up an H20 with the telescoping stock. I shot a couple hundred rounds out of it. The stock is impossible to get a good cheek weld with it in the shorter positions. It beats the shit out of your shoulder and costs a metric shit ton.

Why would I want to use something heavy, with limited capacity, and that has terrible recoil?
Not to mention they are longer in buildings.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:51:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Right?

A friend picked up an H20 with the telescoping stock. I shot a couple hundred rounds out of it. The stock is impossible to get a good cheek weld with it in the shorter positions. It beats the shit out of your shoulder and costs a metric shit ton.

Why would I want to use something heavy, with limited capacity, and that has terrible recoil?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right?

The M4 is the softest shooting shotgun. If you think it recoils to much you've never shot one.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:53:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Still kinda want one
View Quote
We mainly just carried it in a scabbard. Never actually used it to shoot at anybody, most of our breaching involved a ram or a water charge.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Double tap
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#47]
I sold,mine because I needed the cash and I had several other shotguns already. It was a great gun, just not 2k great.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:03:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The M4 is one of those guns that seems like an awesome idea until you actually get one. They work great and are built like a tank but useless for 3 gun,
View Quote
That depends on what rules the match is run under.
Most of the matches I shoot in have a "duty" type division where shotguns like the M4 are very competitive.
The "duty" division usually consists of unmodified iron sight production handguns with a 15 round max capacity, A shotgun with 8 round capacity and no performance modifications (no loading port mods, no extended controls, no porting, no bolt/carrier mods), and a carbine with no comp, a single optic, 30 rounds.
There are also restrictions on what holster and mag/shell carriers you can use in that division.

If the matches you attend are basically a "free for all" on the shotgun then of course something like a 26" M2 with a 12-14 round tube and a hogged out welded up loading port and lifter along with porting and modified bolt/carrier are going to dominate.

The one thing that's killing USPSA 3-Gun around here is the shotgun rules.
USPSA really needs to have a division where a stock semi-auto that holds max 8+1 rounds and duty type shell carriers are competitive.
Shotgun stages are basically "reload races" and there's a huge advantage to spending a lot of money on long tubes, modifying the loading port/lifter and allowing "shell rack" chest/belly rigs for quad loading.

We get a much bigger turn out for 2-gun matches or our outlaw 3-gun which has a very restrictive "Duty" division.
Very few people want to spend $2000+ just on their shotgun/shotgun gear to be competitive in "Tactical" or "Limited".
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This is funny. There are some other comparable options out there like the FN and new 1301 and while cheaper they are not better. Tactical shotguns have a very limited use outside of a military unit or police force but I still enjoy owning one. I've put mine to good use mowing down pigs from the UTV.
View Quote
Didn't say they were better for military purposes. The thing is tough. But for civilian purposes the M4 has no advantages because the others are more than durable enough for civilian purposes.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I have a couple [870's] sitting around but they were only bought for deer in lower Mi and once I got into handgun hunting, they just sit.
View Quote
Just because you don't use them doesn't mean that they aren't still a way of life for many.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top