Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2005 7:40:06 AM EDT
The reason I ask, is that over on another forum, a couple of guys are arguing as to whether the shotgun is point and shoot or needs to be aimed.  I'm inclined to go with aimed fire, because my 1187 holds such a tight pattern out to 10 yards, but I'd like to hear you guys out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:41:49 AM EDT
[#1]
AIMED
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:52:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Gotta aim it.  If somebody told me otherwise, I would never believe another word they said.  About anything.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:54:28 AM EDT
[#3]
This is the "SPECIAL ED" forum.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:56:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Ask the point shooter idiot if he ever took a defensive shotgun class. I already know the answer.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:01:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Fail Safe, you should know by now that you don't have to aim it, hell, all you have to do is rack it!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Never had to use a tactical shotgun to defend but when hunting I just point and shoot. Duck hunting, rabbits,doves and squirrels. Also shoot skeet by point and shoot. If I aim at a fast moving target thats small I miss more.

Been shooting my entire life though, I just look at what I want to hit and I hit it. I'd suggest you shoot alot and see what works for you.

Most people I know aim, me and my friend never do for quick moving targets.

If its still or moving slowly I aim.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Never had to use a tactical shotgun to defend but when hunting I just point and shoot. Duck hunting, rabbits,doves and squirrels. Also shoot skeet by point and shoot. If I aim at a fast moving target thats small I miss more.

Been shooting my entire life though, I just look at what I want to hit and I hit it. I'd suggest you shoot alot and see what works for you.

There is a big difference between wingshooting at range and 00 buck at bad breath distance.  If it is for defense, or offense for that matter, get sights and use them.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Go shoot some trap and get back to us.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:00:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Fail Safe, you should know by now that you don't have to aim it, hell, all you have to do is rack it!!

Exactly what I was thinking... the infamous Shotgun-Racking-Sound-Of-Immediate-Retreat/Collapse/Death.  Works every time!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:58:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Can you hunt deer like that?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:06:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Without seeing the other argument, a lot of times the confusion is because one guy is talking about hitting a target the size of your hand that is moving at 60 mph.  In that case you do not AIM the gun.  You keep both eyes open and on the target, not on the bead.  You are using a pattern of many shot in the hopes at least one will hit and kill.  Estimated range and choke selection are critical.

Shooting at a large (human size), slow moving target, at close range, under stress, it is easy to miss.  You need to aim.

Two differnt games, two different techniques.  Best analogy is comparing the quail or pheasant hunter who jump shoots his birds versus the turkey hunter who stalks, still hunts and aims his shots.  Same gun can be used for both, similarity ends there.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Im never clicking on this forum ever again
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I missed a BIG stupid hogs at less than 7 yards by point shooting a shotgun.  The hog was just snacking away and I pulled up the shoulder, pointed, and shot.  He laughed out loud, flipped  me the bird and ran off.  

[name withheld by request]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:56:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Both of course

Police/defense shotgun is like a short range rifle, aim it.  

With the birdgun you point it and you hit unless you didn't mount it right, didn't swing right, didn't lead right or any other mistake in utilizing your mind's built in tracking computer.  They say if you're not smooth, you've missed.

I aim my pistol but i also practice unaimed fire at short distances; shove and shoot, or  clear leather, punch out gun and fire, or clear leather, level gun at the hip and fire (it works at spitting distances).

(for what it's worth, not much by the way, I've shot many thousands of shotshells at targets in the air and you don't want to aim there because  it doesn't work well)
SoS
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#18]
EVERY weapon has to be aimed, including the shotgun. However, IF a weapon was to be shot without aiming, you'd probably have the most success with a shotgun compared to other firearms. That doesn't mean you should do that though!!! Aim your shotgun!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:23:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Without seeing the other argument, a lot of times the confusion is because one guy is talking about hitting a target the size of your hand that is moving at 60 mph.  In that case you do not AIM the gun.  You keep both eyes open and on the target, not on the bead.  You are using a pattern of many shot in the hopes at least one will hit and kill.  Estimated range and choke selection are critical.

Shooting at a large (human size), slow moving target, at close range, under stress, it is easy to miss.  You need to aim.

Two differnt games, two different techniques.  Best analogy is comparing the quail or pheasant hunter who jump shoots his birds versus the turkey hunter who stalks, still hunts and aims his shots.  Same gun can be used for both, similarity ends there.

We have a winner!

Send my prize to Lumpy, as long as he promises to keep his word.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:46:44 AM EDT
[#20]
A wise man once said, "It's not that it's hard to get a hit, it's just that it's so easy to miss!"  Aim all of your guns... period.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#21]
You don't need to aim it if you live in Hollywood or Hong Kong. You can kill everyone in the room by just pulling the trigger.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Gotta aim and you better practice shooting it.  The shoulder busting pain of full loads, after 15 rounds or so, may cause a bit of a flinch.  Flinch with 00 buck and you will/can miss even at very short ranges.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have a winner!

intelligent, insightful, no jokes or put downs.
we need to ban this guy  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
AIMED

+1

Tack
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:38:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Buck,slug,birdshot or whatever you have in your shotty you gotta aim if you want to hit something with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top