Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2009 7:08:03 PM EDT
I'm about to buy a lee pro 1k in to load 45acp. I had one in 9mm and made a lot of ammo with it  with little problems. I ahev since switched to a LM  to load 9mm and 40. I have the lee FCd for both cal and also have had little problem in either cal.

The lee pro 1k in not set up for the fcd.

So does the 45 acp really needs the Fcd to make good ammo?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I use it for my 45, but I have loaded thousands over the years with out it. So kinda your call.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#2]
No it will make good ammo. I shot with a guy that is a high master shooter and he used a Pro 1000 to reload his ammo.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#3]
You have to taper crimp to .469 or .470 . You can do it with any die you choose, just do it and your ammo
will feed reliably.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 9:58:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Need? No.

You can seat and crimp in one step with your standard Lee seating die.

On the other hand, it can be useful.  When loading hollow points it can be handy to seat and crimp in separate steps, as some HP designs (like the Short Barrel Gold Dots) can be damaged by seating and crimping simultaneously.

Also, the Lee FCD will post size your final round taking it back to SAAMI specs, this can be good or bad depending.  Good if you have a tight chamber, bad if you intentionally want slightly oversized rounds to match a larger throat.

Loading on a progressive, if you have the extra die station, go ahead and spend the extra $8 for the factory crimp die.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 6:12:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Not a must, I use one because I do not like to seat bullet and crimp in the same step.

So I am taking a 3 die set and making it a 4 die set.

Can't answer the part about a Lee brand loader.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 6:23:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I use one for .45acp and have crimped thousands of rounds of jacketed, plated and cast bullets with it, no troubles.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#7]
i have loaded 45auto on a lee pro 1000 for 20 or so years and havent
used lfc die.no need for that caliber.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 2:24:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Same here. I dont like to crimp and seat at the same time so I bought the FCD..
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top