Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2007 1:04:03 PM EDT
...an SBR?  I don't know why but for some reason I remember someone saying that it's less.  I'd like to get an SBR upper for my AR but would like to know the intriciacies.

- Is it $200 for SBR upper?
- Do I just buy the upper or do I need to buy the entire weapon as an SBR?
- What else do I need to know to go from zero to SBR?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#1]
It is not the upper that is considered the SBR but rather the lower receiver.  Yes, it is still a $200 tax stanp to SBR a lower.  It is also a $200 tax stamp to transfer machine guns and for suppressors as well.  AOW's are a $5 stamp if you are transfering it but $200 if you are the "maker" of the AOW.  There is a tacked thread at the top of this Forum that will give you all the details for going from zero to SBR.

MadDog
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, $200 for an SBR
You will need to fill out an ATF Form 1, and have your lower engraved with name, city, state.
Once your approved F1 comes back you can buy, and install your short barreled upper.
Short sweet version anyway.
Go to www.titleii.com for an online version of the F1.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 4:27:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Why do you need to have name city and state engraved?  What do you do if you move?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Can I get a Sbr receiver and have both  6.8 AND 5.56?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why do you need to have name city and state engraved?  What do you do if you move?

If you SBR a normal lower, then you are considered the manufacturer of the rifle. All manufacturers must have their name and location on the rifle. You don't have to do anything if you move or sell the rifle (which would be on a form 4 since it's being transfered instead of manufactured).

Quoted:
Can I get a Sbr receiver and have both  6.8 AND 5.56?

Yes, but if you are PERMENANTLY changing the configuration that was originally on the form 1, you must inform the ATF.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Why do you need to have name city and state engraved?

To satisfy the requirements of 27 CFR 479.102.  When you submit a Form 1, you are the "maker".

What do you do if you move?

For an interstate move, submit a Form 5320.20.  For an intrastate move, BATFE requests that you provide them with your new address in writing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top