Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2002 7:12:47 PM EDT
Anybody know?
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I read on here awhile back that storing Thermolds (Loaded) for long periods will weaken
the lips, they will begin to deform and spread.
I use Thermolds, but load them as I shoot.
I would only store loaded USGI to be safe.
Get one of those LULA mag loaders, I got one, works great on Thermolds too!

Link Posted: 7/7/2002 7:44:19 PM EDT
[#2]
i use Thermolds exclusively as my range mags.

they are always loaded, have been constantly since 1997.

they are only unloaded at the range and reloaded when i get back home, where they sit until the next range session.

no deformation, no problems.

Link Posted: 7/7/2002 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i use Thermolds exclusively as my range mags.

they are always loaded, have been constantly since 1997.

they are only unloaded at the range and reloaded when i get back home, where they sit until the next range session.

no deformation, no problems.

Well that's good to hear! I never tried, then I read about the lip weakening and figured best not to.
Thanks for the storage report, maybe the problem was, yet again, with the Canadian Thermolds and not the US ones......
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 3:42:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought the Canadians referred to theirs as "Thermelts"
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 4:01:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Canuck's were supplied with the wrong material from DuPont, IIRC.

they had melting probs with full auto shooting.  also, IIRC, some cracking/deformation probs.

D&D/Wilson/Thermold marked mags are just fine.  

avoid the ones with the Canadian maple leaf unless you are a collector.  these may be from that lower melting temp batch.

otherwise, they are fine.  however, they are not cheaper than USGI anymore, so why bother??
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 5:16:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I thought the Canadians referred to theirs as "Thermelts"

Due to cost savings involved the Canadians decided not to add the Zytel to their mags.

Seemed nobody figured out bare plastic will melt under full-auto fire.

FYI: I have 5 Wilson Thermolds. Although they are only a year old, they stay loaded. So far, no problems.

Av.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 5:20:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Ditto here.  My Thermolds have been loaded for about a year now, w/ no problems.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:28:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I have some (about 7) for my HK91 that have been loaded since '93.  I fired them up last year and reloaded them with no problems.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:36:07 AM EDT
[#10]
mine sit loaded till i go to the range, where i empty them. when i get home i reload them, and they wait ready for the next outing.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:45:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I keep my Thermolds fully loaded (30rnds) with my Q3131A SHTF ammo, and I don't see any problems when I fire the ammo so swap it out.  They're good mags and they feed very well.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 7:37:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I only use my thermal mags in the winter time.  I've never tried leaving them loaded.  But, I've run the crap out of them without cleaning them and no problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top