Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2004 4:42:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:50:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Try hand cleaner. I read about it somewhere and used it to clean an M1. It worked great. Look for a typw with no pumice and some hydroxides in the ingredients. They break the oils down into something water soluable.
With hand cleaner you could even clean it in the sink.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:07:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I use odorless mineral spirits.  The napatha would smell more.

Use the regular precautions such as WELL ventilated area and wear gloves.  NO Flames nearby.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I have some Naphtha that was required as part of my Alexander Arms 50 Beowulf MuzzleBrake install and was wondering if I could use it on my incoming Select Grade Yugo 59/66 SKS.

is it safe enough to use on the wood and metal parts

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:22:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I picked up a under the bed plastic storage container at the local Home Depot , (about $7.00). It's a good three feet long , eighteen inches wide and a good six inches deep with a cover. I put a couple gallons of kerosene (about $4.00), disassembled my Yugo sks's that were totally covered in cosmoline. With a brush and a rag I got every speck of goo off. Then I put the cover on the container and it sits in my garage awaiting its next cleaning. Much cheaper and easier than buying gun cleaning sprays.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top