Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2006 5:16:29 PM EDT
CMP has Springfield M1903's in stock for $400 and they say that all have been rebuilt at one time or another and have seen "considerable use".

I know that CMP is THE place to go to buy M1 Garand's, but how about 1903's?  Is $400 a good deal?

Also, you have three different models to choose from: 1) High serial numbered Springifled with S Stock, 2) Mark 1 Springfield with S Stock, 3) Remington with S Stock.  What's the difference between these 3?  I want what was actually used in WWI.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#1]
CMP is the place to go.

I'd get #3.

Korean PS headstamp ammo is great stuff.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd go with CMP.  I have a 1903A3 and love it.  Just finished cleaning off all of the cosmoline and she is a beauty.  I refinished the wood and it looks great.

Go with a 1903 you can't go wrong.

Max
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:06:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
CMP is the place to go.

I'd get #3.

Korean PS headstamp ammo is great stuff.

Have fun!

Thanks, but what's the difference between all 3 that they offer?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#4]
When they ( CMP ) say " considerable use ", they aren't  kidding. Nearly all are junk and not worth $ 400.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#5]

...but what's the difference between all 3 that they offer?

I will take a crack at it (any corrections welcomed)

They all have the S stock so no difference there.

There are "low" number Springfields which are considered "unsafe" to shoot so CMP states "high" numbered Springfield to let you know these have the stronger receivers than the low numbers.

The difference between the high number Springfield and the Remington is the name Remington makes it more desirable.

I believe the Mark 1 Springfield is the same as the others except they have holes in the side of the receiver to accept an adapter which never really took off.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:58:02 PM EDT
[#6]
The difference is the nomenclature on the reciever and the ejection port in the left side of the MK1. From 5 feet away, you'd have trouble telling one from the other. That being said, the Remington is of newer production and stands a better chance of being in nicer condition. It's still a crap shoot tho. They were used in Greece post-WW2 to fight the commies, and they look the part.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:55:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I got my Greek return '03 last winter and it turned out to be a beauty, yes it was a rebuild by Remington before being shipped to Greece...perhaps during or after WW2. It's manufacture date was 1927...it's quite possible mine was never used after the rebuild. Went to greece and came back unopened in the wrap and loaded with cosmo...but underneath all that was a rifle in near new condition. Re-parked reciever, with blued barrel and small parts, pristine bore, no wear on any of the knurled knobs, or on the blued bolt. The scant stock has the Remington rebuild marks on the wood. Beautiful black walnut had only slight storage dings. All the heardware matches the books that cover rebuilt rifles. it shoots like a fine commercial sporter, 1 1/2 " groups with good Wnchester white box 148 grain ball at 100 yeard...easy...w/open sites. (once you figure out how to use them) All and all I feel quite lucky I had a friend who went down to the CMP and picked one out for me, and he knows a good rifle when he sees one. Whats left down there? Don't know. Also I have shot numerous "low number" '03's with no trouble whatsoever, just keep to standard loadings. The government went to GREAT legnths to see that all the bad recievers were taken out of service, and all the low numbers were used in WW2 with a good record of service.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top