Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2013 6:39:26 AM EDT
Took the kids out to the range this past weekend to finish up the 300 Blackout subsonic load work-up. We also killed the Boston Bomber with the HBAR and a bunch of factory 223 ammo. I had some mags loaded up with some factory HPs (can't remember the mfr) that, when charged into the HBAR, actually pushed the bullet back into the case. Needless to say, I took that mag and put it to the side so we didn't have any blown-up rifles or hurt kiddos.

Question. I am considering unloading these rounds with a bullet puller and decapping them CAREFULLY so I can run the brass thru the resizing die. This problem seems like a neck tension problem. Anyone else run into this with factory ammo? I hate to pitch the brass if it can be used safely. May even mic and weigh the projos to see if they could be used.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:42:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Took the kids out to the range this past weekend to finish up the 300 Blackout subsonic load work-up. We also killed the Boston Bomber with the HBAR and a bunch of factory 223 ammo. I had some mags loaded up with some factory HPs (can't remember the mfr) that, when charged into the HBAR, actually pushed the bullet back into the case. Needless to say, I took that mag and put it to the side so we didn't have any blown-up rifles or hurt kiddos.

Question. I am considering unloading these rounds with a bullet puller and decapping them CAREFULLY so I can run the brass thru the resizing die. This problem seems like a neck tension problem. Anyone else run into this with factory ammo? I hate to pitch the brass if it can be used safely. May even mic and weigh the projos to see if they could be used.
View Quote

Contact the manufacturer before someone else get hurt.  Hopefully they care about this problem as much as you do and they will make an effort to correct it.  If not, at least you tried.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:50:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Was it a one round fluke?

I've had this with Rem UMC before.  I simply ran the box through my LEE FACTORY CRIMP DIE.

Otherwise I typicaly reclaim all the components.  I don't have time to be shipping stuff back unless I had a full case of bad ammo or something.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:52:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Totally agree...if I can figure out who the mfr was. I had them loaded into mags in my ammo box and the original boxes have long since been pitched. I'll take a pic of some of them at lunch and post it up for your viewing displeasure. It really surprised me to have that happen with factory ammo.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:55:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've had this with Rem UMC before.  I simply ran the box through my LEE FACTORY CRIMP DIE.

Otherwise I typicaly reclaim all the components.  I don't have time to be shipping stuff back unless I had a full case of bad ammo or something.
View Quote

No. It was several rounds. I cycled the HBAR several times with the same mag and all of the rounds I cycled did the same thing. They misfed and pushed the projo back into the cases. After several (maybe 6) rounds I decided that the entire lot of ammo in that mag was faulty and not to be chambered or fired. The crimp die sounds like a good idea...if I had one. My 223 dies are a 2-die RCBS FL set. If anyone has a factory crimp die, I'd happily take it off your hands.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:59:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Check the mag over first.
Bent or deformed lips on a mag will do that.
You can tell what Mfg by looking at the headstamp on the ammo.
'Borg
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:06:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll get some pics of them at lunch so you guys can have a look. This stuff was probably whatever cheap ammo I could find at the time from Dick's or Academy so disassembling it and loading it properly won't break my heart at all.. I have some other factory HP rounds in Winchester PDX, but I keep those in the get-the-hell-outta-Dodge bag in the back of the Jeep.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:36:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'll get some pics of them at lunch so you guys can have a look. This stuff was probably whatever cheap ammo I could find at the time from Dick's or Academy so disassembling it and loading it properly won't break my heart at all...
View Quote

I'm weird in that I like doing that stuff.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:11:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No. It was several rounds. I cycled the HBAR several times with the same mag and all of the rounds I cycled did the same thing. They misfed and pushed the projo back into the cases. After several (maybe 6) rounds I decided that the entire lot of ammo in that mag was faulty and not to be chambered or fired. The crimp die sounds like a good idea...if I had one. My 223 dies are a 2-die RCBS FL set. If anyone has a factory crimp die, I'd happily take it off your hands.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can crimp with a regular seating die.  Back the bullet seater out, insert the die part way (loose, not able to touch the case.)  Raise the ram with case inserted, then begin to lower the die onto the case.  When you begin to feel resistance, that means the inside of the die is touching the neck.   Lower the cartridge, then rotate the die another 1/8 to 1/4 turn.  Next time you raise the case into the die, it should apply a crimp.

If anyone can explain this better, please do so.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:17:46 AM EDT
[#9]
That makes perfect sense!!! It is just strange to me that factory ammo would be THIS bad in quality.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That makes perfect sense!!! It is just strange to me that factory ammo would be THIS bad in quality.
View Quote

Cranking it out 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to feed the hoarders and you don't think there will be quality issues?

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:26:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Take down the ammo the bullet is pushed back and reuse components.
Take the rest of that ammo and try it in a different mag, it only takes a bent lip .010 to jam the point too low on the Bbl extension.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:36:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Take down the ammo the bullet is pushed back and reuse components.
Take the rest of that ammo and try it in a different mag, it only takes a bent lip .010 to jam the point too low on the Bbl extension.
View Quote

I wonder if the bullets have a really large open tip.  

I remember buying up those 62 gr OTM "over-runs" from Wideners or some place... and those suckers would set back a puke powder into several ARs at a rate of about 1-2%...

I could see why they were dumped on the bulk component market.  For whatever reason, the Sierra Gamekings don't do that, and they have a monster Open Tip too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:28:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Good advice from Moondog but I would not go even 1/4 turn. Just go a little at a time. 1/4 turn will move the die about .018" Going that far after contact with a roll crimp could over do it.

I don't know why you are being so critical of this ammo. Your rifle may just not be suited to use it. Anybody who shoots a semi auto pistol could probably give you an example of some type of ammo or bullet that there particular gun just won't work with. Rim fire (.22 long rifle) semi autos are notorious for this in both rifle and pistol models.

BTW: With some die sets you can remove the de capping pin and size you brass without disturbing the live primer.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#15]
A buddy had this exact problem with his relatively new Stag Arms rifle, and American Eagle 55 grain HP rounds, but only when feeding from one side of the magazine.  It would jam the bullet back down into the case.  However, they fed fine in my rifle.  I chalked it up to a combination of low neck tension on the rounds, coupled with a yet-to-be-worn-in feed ramp on his rifle.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:15:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:BTW: With some die sets you can remove the de capping pin and size you brass without disturbing the live primer.
View Quote

That's the plan. I think I pitched the rounds that had the bullets shoved back into the case, but they looked exactly like the ones in the picture above. I cleaned out the Jeep last night looking for them and didn't locate them.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Coupla' things here....
Independence is NOT factory ammo.  It's reloaded in mass production.  Factory ammo, per se' is brand new.
Trying to crimp those will very likely give you a LOT more grief.  I promise that they are NOT all trimmed to within .001", so a crimping die will hit some harder than others.  This will lead to collapsing of the shoulder, thus making it impossible for many of your "fixed" rounds to go into battery.
Go ahead and try....
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:13:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Coupla' things here....
Independence is NOT factory ammo.  It's reloaded in mass production.  Factory ammo, per se' is brand new.
Trying to crimp those will very likely give you a LOT more grief.  I promise that they are NOT all trimmed to within .001", so a crimping die will hit some harder than others.  This will lead to collapsing of the shoulder, thus making it impossible for many of your "fixed" rounds to go into battery.
Go ahead and try....
View Quote

It will crimp fine with the Lee FCD. Yes, I have tried and it works fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top