Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2009 4:30:41 AM EDT
So it's been a few months nowfor my Form 4's, so I decided to give them a call and check the status.  After I gave the serial numbers for the two suppressors I have pending the guy told me there was no record of these items.  He went on to clarify and say that it's not like there is no record of the Form 4 you have pending, but there's no record of those serial numbered suppressors ever being manufactured.  

The NFA guy told me to contact my dealer because those serial numbers have to be incorrect, as no suppressor from AAC has ever been manufactured with those serial numbers.

My dealer isn't open yet, only 630am here, but damn I'm not happy to say the least.  I truly do not know what to think, other then that my dealer wrote BOTH of the serial numbers down wrong on the Form 4's.

Now it would appear I have to start the entire damn process over, if this is true I'M GOING TO BE PISSED!!!!!!  And to think, I bought th suppressors from a dealer who had them in stock, was charged full MSRP, and a damn transfer fee as well.  

UPDATE

Well my dealer has talked to the ATF and apparently my Form 4's are pending and once I'm appoved completely they will send the form 4's to my dealer to have them corrected.  The serial number was transposed with a number instead of a letter.  ATF has indicated that once they receive the edited Form 4's that they will go ahead and approve them ASAP and I will not have to start over.  Since my dealer is the one who wrote up my Form 4's I was unable to verify that they matched the numbers on the actual can.

I definitely give kudos to my dealer for calling immediately after I talked to him and getting some sort of solution ironed out on this.  I just hope I get my suppresors sometime this summer :)
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:30:57 AM EDT
[#1]
It's possible that you may not need to start the process from scratch. Hang in there.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:52:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you know for a fact that your dealer has the suppressors in his hands? I have heard that in the past, and again recently, AAC has issued dealers serial numbers for suppressor that were not built. The BATFE allegedly came down on AAC for doing this in the past, because the suppressor isn't even built and the consumer is seeking to have it placed in his/her name, which is a big no-no. Usually, the BATFE would never become aware of this but there were several incidents where the transfer was approved and the individual still did not have his/her can after several weeks/months. The individual then contacted the BATFE, which started an investigation. I implore everyone to wait until your dealer has the NFA item in hand before starting the transfer process.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:01:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I would also request a copy of the Form 3 used to transfer from AAC to your dealer.  If he has those, than you know he has them in his possession.  Also how did you get the serial numbers?  I mean did he write them down for your, tell you over the phone, or did you make copies of your Form 4's after or before you signed them and returned them to the dealer?

Edit:
non nfa related, but points out how sometimes things are entered into a computer wrong.  When I moved to AL from WA, and was trying to get insurance, I was giving the agent my driver's license number from WA, and he knew it was a WA state DL as I had only lived in AL for less than a week.  He calls be back about 15 min later saying he couldn't find me in the system, when I asked how he was entering the number into the computer he said WA#######, I said wait wait, there is not WA at the start of the DL number, so he tried it again and it came right up.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:52:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do you know for a fact that your dealer has the suppressors in his hands? I have heard that in the past, and again recently, AAC has issued dealers serial numbers for suppressor that were not built. The BATFE allegedly came down on AAC for doing this in the past, because the suppressor isn't even built and the consumer is seeking to have it placed in his/her name, which is a big no-no. Usually, the BATFE would never become aware of this but there were several incidents where the transfer was approved and the individual still did not have his/her can after several weeks/months. The individual then contacted the BATFE, which started an investigation. I implore everyone to wait until your dealer has the NFA item in hand before starting the transfer process.

+1

In fact AAC sends a receipt and paperwork to the dealer once they send in their paperwork to ATF. They tell people to start their paperwork a week or two after receiving it. I know this for a fact, I'm waiting on a can I ordered from them and my dealer received the packet and a note explaining how to speed things up.... My dealer said in no way shape or form would they do paperwork before they received the actual can. The C3 guy at my shop said it was a big violation for doing just that.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:59:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:28:28 AM EDT
[#6]
depending on where you are in the process, you may not have to start over

here's an account of what I'm in the middle of now
(same thing, more/less)

bad luck link
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#7]
update in original post
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:09:53 AM EDT
[#8]
The dealer does in fact have them in hand.  I have touched them myself.  It appears to be a transposed number on the Form 4's.  Hopefully this will not delay it to much....
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Jensens?  If figure as much as they seem to be AAC advocates.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 10:33:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The dealer does in fact have them in hand.  I have touched them myself.  It appears to be a transposed number on the Form 4's.  Hopefully this will not delay it to much....

exactly my scenario.  wrong number on form.
should clear up pretty quick.  good for you.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

exactly my scenario.  wrong number on form.
should clear up pretty quick.  good for you.

+1

Same thing happened to me, was straightened out pretty quickly though.

teamroper

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top