Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/9/2005 5:02:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 12:34:30 PM EDT by Blueberry556]
I was wondering about the threat protection level of the Interceptor OTV IBA. Everyone here seems to think that it is not NIJ certifiable, but Point Blank's website says "exceeds NIJ Level IIIA 9mm protection". The consensus here seems to be that the .mil did not require it to be tested with .44mag, but I don't see it stated anywhere that does or does not meet the NIJ testing standard regardless of .mil requirements. I'd prefer an educated answer with supporting facts over the usual "I heard it from Mr X and he's .mil, so he knows."

eta:

The OTV is just the outer cover, no ballistic protection.
The IBA is the full setup regardless if it has SAPI or not.

uhh, okay...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:01:05 AM EDT
The OTV is just the outer cover, no ballistic protection.

The IBA is the full setup regardless if it has SAPI or not.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:32:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 2:50:54 PM EDT by Zmeja]
Information deleted. Sorry.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:05:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 4:17:26 PM EDT by Blueberry556]

Originally Posted By Zmeja:
It is designed to defeat 9mm FMJ and lesser ballistic threats. It is designed to defeat fragmentation threats. It does not get a NIJ rating because NIJ tests for .357 and .44 Magnum as well as 9mm, yet NIJ does not test for fragmentation.

They say exceeds 9mm NIJ L IIIA protection because the 9mm test they use for NIJ, the Interceptor will defeat the projectiles used.

If you are in the market for a vest, you must figure out exactly what threats you need to defeat. Most of us do not have a fragmentation threat, so right there, the Interceptor would be ruled out for most. However, you may have a threat of .357 Magnum, and maybe 7.62x39mm, so a IIIA vest with III or IV plates (usually the plates need a vest of IIIA to work most effectively) would be a good start.

IM sent:
what i was trying to get from that post was supported facts, hence the part about "i-heard-it-from's". if you could edit to cite the source of your information, i would appreciate it, otherwise it is still just hearsay. no sarcasm or snotty tone intended.

eta: in case he doesn't re-post it, Zmeja told me he got his info from a Point Blank sales rep, so it is most likely correct
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:28:30 AM EDT
it will stop a 44
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:20:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2005 6:21:37 AM EDT by stephen_101st]
In addition to what Blueberry 556 said; The military issued IBA is not NIJ rated, but is considered to be similar to IIIA with the addition of frag protection. The IBA that PB sells on it's website to civilians and LEO is NIJ IIIA tested/rated.

Stephen
Top Top