Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2006 7:37:26 AM EDT
OK, I have been using a company to insure my NFA collection.  But I have an uncomfortable feeling about them.

The renewal doesn't have ANY mention of what is being insured.  Just "gun collection".  Come on, I went to the trouble of listing the NFA weapons I have complete with estimate of replacement value and serial number.  I specifically requested that they include this data as an addendum to show what is insured.  

The response back was useless.

Company name is Collectibles Insurance Services.

I am wondering what if anything everyone else might be doing.  Care to share or comment on this?

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#1]
A good fireproof safe is all I have. My homeowners insurance did not even want to insure regular guns.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
OK, I have been using a company to insure my NFA collection.  But I have an uncomfortable feeling about them.

The renewal doesn't have ANY mention of what is being insured.  Just "gun collection".  Come on, I went to the trouble of listing the NFA weapons I have complete with estimate of replacement value and serial number.  I specifically requested that they include this data as an addendum to show what is insured.  

The response back was useless.

Company name is Collectibles Insurance Services.

I am wondering what if anything everyone else might be doing.  Care to share or comment on this?

Do you mean Collectible Insurance Agency??
I use them and their very vague.
I also am looking to see what else is out there.
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm using American Family Insurance. I have an addendum on my homeowners policy that covers my firearms.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys,

I have a good fireproof safe, but the value of the collection is too high to leave uninsured.

Yes, it is CIA.  I have had them for 2 years but they are SO vague I'm thinking it gives them escape room to not pay if someone makes off with my toys.

And since I asked them specifically to list my NFA and values with the policy and they did not I am thinking it was not an oversight.

I might have to rethink all of my insurance needs.  

Anyone else get an insurance rider for their toys?  How about for jewelry?

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I too would like to know about insurance for my collection. My homeowners is insufficient for my collection.

Ed
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Most insurance companies will have personal property policies you can insure weapons under. State Farm told me it would cost about $12 per $5000 of coverage.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Farmers Insurance Group told me my firearms were too powerful to insure.

Collectables used to specify that thier insurance covered display and travel to display but would not insure firearms that were currently being used for shooting.  You might want to verify that with them in case it has changed.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:58:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I have all of my guns insured through my Homeowners (American Family) and they are all listed individually.  It doesn't cost that much but it covers them if any are lost or destroyed even while I am on duty.  This also covers my NFA SBR.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Perhaps you can insure them by serial number? No ambiguity there, the tradeoff being a loss of privacy
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:48:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I have collectibles and here is their FAQ ....

They pay the replacement value of a gun .....

Usage seems iffy ......

They don't cover KABOOMS .......

FAQ: www.collectinsure.com/faqguncollectgen.htm
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, I guess I am just paranoid.  If it doesn't list what is covered what happens if I make a claim for a weapon or weapons stolen in  the night?

What if someone brings a crane and steals my entire safe.  They just gonna cut me a check or what?

Does anyone know if they have ever PAID a claim?  Seems like what they are covering should be described in the contract.

I'll call them tomorrow.

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#12]
There was a guy on subguns that said they paid him, post was sometime in 06.. I also have CIA and really drilled them about the vaugeness.. Of course they assured me.. They are underwritten by chubb, if you review your policy, looks legit.. I know a lot of guys on subguns have went with them, i'm sure if there was an issue, we'd know by now.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 9:40:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
There was a guy on subguns that said they paid him, post was sometime in 06.. I also have CIA and really drilled them about the vaugeness.. Of course they assured me.. They are underwritten by chubb, if you review your policy, looks legit.. I know a lot of guys on subguns have went with them, i'm sure if there was an issue, we'd know by now.

Thanks.  That helps.  I would like them to show me what THEY consider a value for an M16A1.  The value to ME is what it would cost to replace it.  And that would be over $10,000.  What if they say the govt only pays $800 for them?

Just very unhappy with their lack of speciics.  Gonna nail them with it on Tuesday.  I emailed them a complete list of what I wanted to insure and at what valuation.  I want it attached to the policy.

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.  That helps.  I would like them to show me what THEY consider a value for an M16A1.  The value to ME is what it would cost to replace it.  And that would be over $10,000.  What if they say the govt only pays $800 for them?

Just very unhappy with their lack of speciics.  Gonna nail them with it on Tuesday.  I emailed them a complete list of what I wanted to insure and at what valuation.  I want it attached to the policy.

You will be able to insure the items for scheduled (listed) amounts.  Be sure to document all items in question with sufficient proof of ownership including pictures and it will not be an issue.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 11:10:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You will be able to insure the items for scheduled (listed) amounts.  Be sure to document all items in question with sufficient proof of ownership including pictures and it will not be an issue.

Also remember that your $10-15k M16A1 will someday be worth a whole lot more (barring a lift of the '86 legislation---one could only hope, although for current owners it would be a 2-edged sword). The value of your NFA today is not the value of your NFA tomorrow. I wonder if that fact could somehow be incorporated into an insurance policy, as the market value fluctuates and tends toward an upward trend
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also remember that your $10-15k M16A1 will someday be worth a whole lot more (barring a lift of the '86 legislation---one could only hope, although for current owners it would be a 2-edged sword). The value of your NFA today is not the value of your NFA tomorrow. I wonder if that fact could somehow be incorporated into an insurance policy, as the market value fluctuates and tends toward an upward trend

Every once in a while, I send my insurance agent a new listing of my firearms covered in my policy.  I update it from adding new ones or if I happened to get rid of one or two.  In doing this, I also adjust the amounts that I have each firearm insured for pending on the currrent values.  Sometimes it reflects in my yearly premium, but not by much usually and it is definetely worth it, but I am sure that it will vary from company to company.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Every once in a while, I send my insurance agent a new listing of my firearms covered in my policy.  I update it from adding new ones or if I happened to get rid of one or two.  In doing this, I also adjust the amounts that I have each firearm insured for pending on the currrent values.  Sometimes it reflects in my yearly premium, but not by much usually and it is definetely worth it, but I am sure that it will vary from company to company.

This is correct (and very good information).  You should update the list at each semi-annual renewal when you pay your premium.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

This is correct (and very good information).  You should update the list at each semi-annual renewal when you pay your premium.

Now THAT seems like the way to go. List your insured firearms VERY specifically (ie "transferable Colt M16A1 serial #xxxxxx") and update the market values at least annually.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now THAT seems like the way to go. List your insured firearms VERY specifically (ie "transferable Colt M16A1 serial #xxxxxx") and update the market values at least annually.

I have all of my firearms listed on my policy by make, model, serial number, any special features, modifictions and then the value.  I have a copy saved on my computer, in my safety deposit box and my insurance agent has a copy of it at his office with our file.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:39:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Well, I called to day and told them I wanted more information.  They said what I had wasn't the policy - just a renewal.  So they will be sending me the new policy.  If it doesn't say what is being insured and for what value I'm done with them.

It mails today so I should know in a few.

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:48:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Well, I called to day and told them I wanted more information.  They said what I had wasn't the policy - just a renewal.  So they will be sending me the new policy.  If it doesn't say what is being insured and for what value I'm done with them.

It mails today so I should know in a few.

I can tell you, it is very difficult to find an insurance company that will insure firearms in a seperate policy with your home owners.  I have had numerous other insurance agencies inquire about changing me to their home owners insurance and when I tell them "OK, but if they can match my gun policy that I have seperately through my current home owners," they always call back and say "no thanks, we just can't do it."  I always just tell them that I figured that they couldn't.  I feel pretty lucky about my policy!
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Farm Bureau Requested a itemized list of my firearms for my policy.

I plan on updating it whenever I add new items to my collection.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I use these guys for my firearms insurance.  You only have to itemize individual items over $10,000 and they cover not just the guns, but all of your accessories.  Read the site and give them a call. They know what they are doing and it has been a painless experience.

At the level of coverage I have it costs me about 40 cents per hundred dollars of coverage.  No restrictions on use or travel with the guns.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 1:52:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I am embarrassed that I already forgot his name.  Maybe it was you.

I was sent that company to check out.  Perhaps there is something that site doesn't like about Safari.  It is garbage.

Perhaps I'll fire up Firefox and try again.  Nope.  Firefox doesn't like that page either.

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 2:08:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Yep - might have to sort through  that mess of raw HTML to find an email address to complain about it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#26]
It looks like it's not just their website that's screwed up.  I copied the INFO addy from the raw HTML to send them a note and got this:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Website issues
     Sent: 1/2/2007 6:42 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

[email protected] on 1/2/2007 6:42 PM
           The mail protocol was unable to handle one or more requests because they were unrecognized or invalid. Please notify your system administrator.
           < smtpgw2.turner.com #5.5.4 SMTP; 501 #5.1.1 bad address [email protected]>
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top