Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/4/2005 4:21:17 PM EDT
OK, I have the DSA STG 58 and insulated my handguards as mentioned in previous posts.

Here's the tape I used

I found it at the Home Despot for 4 or 5 bucks.

I then cleaned the inside of the metal handguards and insulated them with about 6 layers of tape, one layer on the other.

At the range, I fired 3 mags in quick succession. Results were very good. The insulated portions of the handguard were warm to the touch, the farther front end which had no insulation was HOT. Clearly a difference between the two portions (the insulation worked).

Unfortunately, one insulation side came loose

Not a problem though. I put several spots of JB weld to act as weld points on the insulation. I expect it to hold.
Keep in mind, 3 mags might not be a lot, but the STG handguards heat up much faster than the plastic HG's. Finally, I can hold the STG with my bare hands. Heat was my biggest complaint with this rifle.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:20:06 AM EDT
Excellent.

I guess that you know why the tape came loose.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:39:34 AM EDT
6 layers of tape? It must be very thin. The tape I used was about 1/8" thick.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:36:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Shawnr1:

Does your tape have a padded sticky back? If so, I would recommend using as little as possible of any kind of foam. The more metal, the better. If yours is all metal, then it's about the same effect, but easier to apply. Mine is thin, but 6 layers makes it thick enough.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:29:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By kingfish:

Originally Posted By Shawnr1:

Does your tape have a padded sticky back? If so, I would recommend using as little as possible of any kind of foam. The more metal, the better. If yours is all metal, then it's about the same effect, but easier to apply. Mine is thin, but 6 layers makes it thick enough.

Yep, it is the foil tape with the padded adhesive back. It worked very well. If the tape you using works better, then I can imagine what your results were. I would go to the store and pick up some to try out, but I replaced my handguards with a railed HG and foregrip.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:54:39 AM EDT
This is the reason why I prefer Imbel handguards on my FALs - IMO, they offer the best heat protection vs durability of all the handguards....

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:02:31 AM EDT
Top Top