Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/1/2005 6:56:04 AM EDT
I would like to put a collapsable stock on my Bushmaster XM15-E2S, I've never done this befor, so is it a big, or tricky job?Will I need any special tools, and will I need to replace my buffer, and bufferspring?Any info and recommendations will be greatly appriciated.
Thanks much,
Paul
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:25:28 AM EDT
No its not a big deal.

Yes sssuming that you're talking about a GI M4 type collapsible, you will need a USGI or aftermarket combo wrench and a shorter carbine style buffer the buffer tube should come with your stock (..and funny i can't rremember what the deal is on the spring..i'm pretty sure you'll need a carbine spring as well).

Here's a quick rundown from memory:

1. remove the upper screw, the one with the weep hole, from the aft end of your rifle stock and remove the butt stock and the spacer from the extension tube.

2. Use the combo wrench on the flats at the aft end of the extension tube to remove the tube, be careful no t to loose the detent spring from your rear takedown pin or the buffer rertainint pin.

3. put the retainer plate on the new buffer tube with the tit facing forward.

4. screw the new buffer/ext tube in until it is 1 in far enough to properly retain the buffer retaining pin and 2 is indexed properly.

5. screw the castle nut on your new ext tube forward until tight and stake it in a couple of places.

6.. slip your new buttstock on.

the above is just to give you an idea of what is involved i would advise you to pick up or download a copy of the TM.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:44:35 AM EDT
Here you go....complete with pictures.

Installing a collapsable stock
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:48:18 AM EDT
You'll need to replace both the buffer tube, buffer, and recoil spring too with carbine length parts.

Remove the upper and lower buttstock screws, and the buttstock space in the top hole under the buttplate.
Slip the stock off the buffer tube, being sure to restrain and remove the rear push pin spring and plunger in the rear of the lower receiver.
Also catch and remove the rear push pin.

Unscrew the tube, being sure to restrain and remove the buffer tube retaining spring and plunger at the front of the tube, in the receiver.

With the old stock and tube off, replace the rear push pin, and it's plunger and spring in their hole in the rear of the lower.

Screw the carbine buffer lock nut onto the buffer tube, as far as it will go.
The nut has three notches in it. The notches face FORWARD.

Slip the receiver end plate over the buffer tube. The end plate has a pressed out "dimple" on one side. That dimple goes FORWARD and locks into the shallow hole in the lower.

Screw the carbine length buffer tube onto the lower until it's almost in place, then reinsert the buffer retainer spring and plunger into the hole in the lower.
Screw the buffer tube in until it properly retains the buffer spring and plunger.
Too tight, and the retainer won't work, too loose and the retainer and spring won't be held in place.

Holding the buffer tube so it can't turn and the end plate in position against the lower, screw the buffer tube nut forward until it butts against the end plate, being sure to guide the rear push pin spring and plunger into the hole in the lower.

Use a carbine spanner wrench to tighten the buffer tube locking collar tightly in place, being sure to prevent the buffer tube from turning. The flat lug on the bottom of the tube must be properly aligned with the lower.

To insure the assembly stays in place, use a punch to stake the nut in place by pushing some metal from the end plate into one or two of the notches on the nut.

Insert the carbine buffer and spring into the buffer tube.

If the buttstock is assembled, pull the rear of the locking lever down and slip the butt stock onto the buffer tube.

If the carbine butt stock isn't assembled, slide the stock onto the buffer tube.
Slide the locking locking pin into the hole in the bottom of the stock.
Put the locking pin spring over the pin.
Put the stock release lever over the pin and into place on the stock.
Screw the lock nut on the release pin and adjust it so the locking pin fully bottoms out in one of the holes in the buffer tube, BUT isn't in so far that the locking lever is loose or rattles.

Better stocks have a oval-shaped cross hole in the nut, and a roll pin that slides through the nut and stock locking pin to lock it in place.
If you have a stock without that type of nut, use Locktite to secure the nut, or it will unscrew and loose the locking pin assembly.

Not really as complicated as it sounds, all you really have to watch is to insure the rear push pin, and it's spring and plunger, and the buffer tube retaining plunger and spring all go into position without getting caught between the parts, and kinked.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:20:20 AM EDT
Thanks very much guys, Im gonna put the collapsable stock on myself now that I've got some great instructions, I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Paul
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:54:50 AM EDT
Top Top