Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2018 2:08:56 PM EDT
Some of you may recall a recent thread where I sought feedback on a 182 series SS Mini 14 GBF. I did not purchase that firearm. However I have come across another one that I would appreciate feedback on.

It is a 184 series stainless Mini 14 folder. Appears to be in excellent condition although stated as fired. Includes the original box and paperwork as well as original 5rd mag. Also includes a 30rd(?) mag and scope and mount (Any idea if these factory supplied?) I called Ruger and verified that it left the factory in this configuration. This appears to be a perfect original collectors piece and hits on all bases.

Anything look out of place from the photos? The seller wants $1,200. Thank you again for any input!

Link Posted: 2/6/2018 10:14:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks legit to me. Having the box, manuals etc is a bonus. Good that you verified with Ruger on the birthdate. Price is not out of line. looks like your search is over.  Go get it!!

Edited to add: the scope mount is aftermarket
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 12:40:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks legit to me. Having the box, manuals etc is a bonus. Good that you verified with Ruger on the birthdate. Price is not out of line. looks like your search is over.  Go get it!!

Edited to add: the scope mount is aftermarket
View Quote
Thank you. Any idea the manufacture of that mount? Looks like there's a knob for attachment on the left of the receiver; also any idea if thats a reversible mod to the receiver or was it modified to allow attachment of that mount?
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#3]
The scope mount is secured to the bolt lock cover plate. should be easy to replace that part with a new one.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The scope mount is secured to the bolt lock cover plate. should be easy to replace that part with a new one.
View Quote
Yep, that's what I've found from reading online. Seems like it might be tricky finding a factory stainless bolt lock cover plate though. Numrich is the only place that seems to have them and they're used.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Try eBay for the missing cover, lots of mini parts show up there.  If Ruger doesn't have it, your only choice will be used.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 9:27:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Delete, double tap.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#7]
That rifle looks just like mine. One way to tell that it is a legit side folder is the sling swivel is mounted on the left side of the gas block instead of on the bottom. If you plan to shoot yours a lot, make sure you get a couple extra extractors, extractor springs and firing pins. Mini-14's are very robust but have been known to break extractors and firing pins.

Here is a video I did for my 185 series folder:
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:00:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That rifle looks just like mine. One way to tell that it is a legit side folder is the sling swivel is mounted on the left side of the gas block instead of on the bottom. If you plan to shoot yours a lot, make sure you get a couple extra extractors, extractor springs and firing pins. Mini-14's are very robust but have been known to break extractors and firing pins.
View Quote
In truth, it seems that the older versions, pre 58X series, are more prone to have those issues.  The newer design addressed both with stronger designs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yep, that's what I've found from reading online. Seems like it might be tricky finding a factory stainless bolt lock cover plate though. Numrich is the only place that seems to have them and they're used.
View Quote
Brownells for Mini-14 parts. I bought that exact part from them a few months ago.

They seem to restock fairly frequently. I remember waiting for certain out of stock parts.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I ended up buying the Mini 14 in the OP for $950. The gun is in excellent condition without any scratches and only a few minor indentations in the wood, which is a rich dark birch. It came with everything that was original to the gun, including the 5rd mag, manual and paperwork, and the matching serial numbered box. The only alteration is the bolt cover side plate, of which I have a new factory stainless one ordered. Even though I've already verified via phone with Ruger that it is a factory folder I'll nevertheless get a letter of authenticity to round out the package.

I'm going to try to find a factory blued folder so that I have a pair  8)

Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks great! You did well on that deal.  I have the ranch rifle version of that rifle in the factory folder.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 1:26:50 PM EDT
[#12]
That was a good deal.
That's a great condition Mini!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top