Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2006 10:13:10 AM EDT
Just looked at an Inland carbine ser # 5132xxx.  It's very nice, I'd rate it at 90%.  Barrel marked Inland 4-44.  Switch safety, adj. peep sight. Bayo lug marked EM-Q.  Barrel band marked MMQ. Scabbard has " US --S. FROEHLIGH CO -- 1943" stamped into it.  Dealer priced it at $650.  Is this a good deal ? Does everything coincide with an original carbine ?  Thanks !!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Good price for a rebuild.  Check for import marks on the end of the barrel just to be sure.  

In today's carbine market that almost qualifies as a steal, I'm afraid to say.

Not sure what the scabbards go for.  A lot of them are copies so go slow on that.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:52:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Where exactly should I look for the import stamps, and what would they look like ? I'll have him pull the action from the stock to be sure.  BTW, the stock does'nt have any markings that I can see anywhere.  Is this normal ? (Please bear with me, as I know very little about M1 carbines).
Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#3]
The import stamp will be on the barrel, toward the muzzle, typically on the underside.  Will be a name and short address.  Blue Sky Imports out of Arlinton (?), VA being the most common.  

Lack of stock cartouche not unusual.  Any there should be on the wrist of the stock, normally on the left side.  A "P" may be stamped on the heel of the pistol grip.  Rebuild stamps are normally a two or three letter code, they can be quite small.  Ordnance wheel cartouche is usually quite large and prominent, and generally not seen on rebuilds.

Don't get hung up on the term "original" carbine.  Virtually all of them went thru rebuild at least once and many several times.  The adjustable sight and bayo lug definitely mark this one as rebuilt.  Serial number and barrel date are a pretty good match, probably the original barrel.

Even for an import, if the condition is as you say, this is a pretty good price.  Carbine price tags these days are just nutty.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input!!  I'll go to the shop after work and look for any import markings.  If it's non-import, how much would that add to the value ?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#5]
$650 is a pretty good price these days for a non import stamped M1 Carbince. If the scabbord is original that's worth $100 bucks all by itself. Repro scabbords are less than $40.

If there's no import mark I'd get it in a heart beat for that price.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Just bought it for $600 out the door! The scabbard looks to be an original, due to all the green gunk/corrosion on the rivets/hardware.  I'll take the gun down and let ya'll know what the component markings are.  Maybe someone can chime in with what they all mean.  I looked all over the barrel and can't find any importer markings.  Thanks for the info !! Somebody help me put up some pics !!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:17:44 PM EDT
[#7]
PICS OR BAN!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Like I said, if somebody will host the pics, I'll e-mail them.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Lack of stock cartouche not unusual.  Any there should be on the wrist of the stock, normally on the left side.  A "P" may be stamped on the heel of the pistol grip.  Rebuild stamps are normally a two or three letter code, they can be quite small.  Ordnance wheel cartouche is usually quite large and prominent, and generally not seen on rebuilds.

The proofing on M1 Carbines was different than the M1 and M1903 rifles. The final inspection stamp was on the left side either back on the meat of the stock itself near where you would lay your cheek while shooting or in the sling cutout on the stock. The Ordnance Escutcheon will be on the right side of the stock. For a 1944 carbine, there would be no proof P originally. If one is present, it is from an overhaul.

It's also possible, and likely, the Carbine is wearing an M2 stock. If this is the case, there will be a cut-out on the stock on the left side just back of the chamber area.

Here's some pics from an Inland M2 stock to show what I mean.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top