Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/16/2002 10:05:36 AM EDT
I have shot smaller bore bolt-action rifles for a while and am interested learning to compete in local Service Rifle Competitions. I have a few questions you guys may be able to answer. I'm a FL resident if any laws apply.
1. I am very interested in an M4 or AR type, so how do I go about acquiring one?
2. Can a FFL dealer obtain one just like any rifle, or do I need a special permit or certification?(I was under the impression automatic rifles were not legal)
3. Any other legalities regarding obtaining and owning such a firearm?

Thanks a lot for your help
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 1:49:16 PM EDT
1. I am very interested in an M4 or AR type, so how do I go about acquiring one? Find one at a local dealer or on the internet. If you find one on the internet, you must have it sent to a local dealer who will transfer it to you.
2. Can a FFL dealer obtain one just like any rifle, or do I need a special permit or certification?(I was under the impression automatic rifles were not legal.)AR-15's are semi-automatic. M16's are automatic. Any FFL dealer in a legal state can get an AR-15 for you. An M-16 must be sold through a Class 3 dealer.
3. Any other legalities regarding obtaining and owning such a firearm? Not that I can see. I do not know Florida law, but I do know that AR-15's are legal. Don't know about Class 3 weapons though.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 1:52:04 PM EDT
Open the yellow pages, look for a gun store, and stop in. Chances are they'll have an AR in there somewhere. If you're interested in shooting service rifle, don't get an M4. You'll need a standard 20 inch barrel with a carry handle.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:34:43 AM EDT
ESWANSON gave you good advice...that is, you need an upper with the standard 20" barrel and carry handle (A2 sights are most common).

Your questions are based around a common misperception...especially by most liberal anti-gunners (NOT saying you are one). That misconception is that an AR, AK, etc. type rifle is any different from a semi-auto hunting rifle such as a Remington .308. Think about the semi-auto .30-06 used in WWII!!! Most people see the "black rifle" and think "it's a machine gun." Well, it's a gun, and it's a machine. But it's semi-auto, not full-auto.

So, if you can purchase Ruger 10/22's in Florida (you can) then you can buy an AR (we'll leave the other "pre-ban/post-ban" issues for other topics...go read the "Legal" forum).
Top Top