Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2009 6:23:31 AM EDT
I've been thinking of getting one.  If the scope turns out to be total crap what size are the rings could a modern day scope fit them rings.  Didn't sombody make a PU style mount with a weaver base on top.  I'm sure the rifle will be sturdy and ok but I'm more worried about the scope, I know its a 3.5 pwer and I believe it has a 26 or 28 mm lense.  Ill probably get it from J&G($450) or SOG($370).  They seam to be the only people that have them in stock except for r guns ($800).

I see videos of people shooting 600 yards and more???,  I will probably never shoot past 300 yards.  I would like to have another option for scope but with the same mount.  Kalinka seams to have nothing in stock.

Thanks for any info.

Snowman
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:07:57 AM EDT
[#1]
First off, the scopes on most current repro snipers are newer reproductions. The quality is great, as most are built exactly like the originals or even at the same factory. But, I can understand if the 3.5x is not to your liking. However, if you're not shooting beyond 300 yards, it should not be a problem, at all. It is a 26mm scope, but you can get the mounts with 1 inch rings, too.

Also, the rifles being sold by RGuns are NOT reproductions. They are the real deal, hence the price. I have a '44 Tula PU from RGuns that is simply amazing. I own a total of seven Mosin snipers. All of them are real or "ex-snipers". I have a '43 Tula PU that I have shot accurately out to 700 yards with Bulgarian  copper washed light ball. The scope is an original Progress factory PU and, while not quite as clear as the one on my '44, it's still very serviceable.

If you don't care about the collector value, get a repro. If you want the real deal, look for a restored ex-sniper (or restore one yourself), or get an RGuns complete original. In any case, buy the bore and this especially holds true for the repros, as they were thrown together at random and not hand picked to be snipers, based on their accuracy, like the originals.

Best of luck!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:08:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one of the repro ones that come from the Ukraine, the scope is a good, exact repro of the WWII era ones, just new made.  I paid about $500 for mine, but that is when they were first being imported, and they could probably be had for less now.  The mounts are good quality steel also.  I love the one I have to death, and I regularly shoot it at 300yds at a railroad tie plate, and it is very capable of busting clay pigeons out that far, I have done it several times.  I'd love to shoot it further, but i just don't have a range that big

My rifle, is stock, as it come, no modifying to the stock, or anything, and I shoot the czech surplus steel case stuff, best shooting stuff I've found.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll chime in . . .

I picked up a repo about a year ago.  Based on proof marks I would say the mount is original, but the scope in new manufacture. I added a lace-on cheek piece and cleaned up the wood a bit. Bought it to go along with my PSL.  Just something about that 54R round  

With Polish light ball she'll wack my 13 inch swinger plate at 500 yards pretty easy.  

Paid $500 out the door for mine.  We'll worth it to me.  Really enjoy the rifle.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:21:24 PM EDT
[#4]
J&G and SOG are probably the same Century imports. Century ones seem to be a mixed bag... some have real scopes some have totally lame aluminium jumbo repro mounts.

You may want to  consider Copes or Inter Ordnance for a repros they seem to pick better ones.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:22:14 AM EDT
[#5]
checked those websites they don't have any.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:02:29 PM EDT
[#6]
this thread needs moar pix!!!

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:25:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
checked those websites they don't have any.

J&G and Classic Arms both have them listed for $449.

Nice rifle, Pitbull!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top