Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2002 11:54:29 AM EDT
I live in the city of Cleveland, Ohio and wondered if any of you know about the legalities of owning an FN FAL within the boundaries of the Mistake by the Lake.  Thinking of putting together an FN FAL soon.  Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 1:38:06 PM EDT
[#2]

No evil black guns in Cleveland. This is also the reason the OGCA show is looking for a new home since Cleveland annexed the IX center from Brookpark.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess the FAL is considered an evil rifle then, right?
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#4]
What they don't know won't hurt them.I plan on building an AR-15 .As long as you keep to yourself that you have the gun they have no way of knowing you have it in your house.Or you can keep it at a friends house outside of cleveland.As far as I know  you are suppose to regsister your handguns if you have them in cleveland as well.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 3:42:08 PM EDT
[#5]
The city of Cleveland banned assault rifles about 15 years ago.  I doubt they actually have a way of enforcing it.  They can't even get Cleveland cops to respond to a crime scene within an hour.

I remember when the city council was in debate about the ban and there was this big news media orgy.  That was the day I joined the NRA.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank God I live near Erie, PA.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Does anyone really know if you would have to register your handgun in KKKleveland?  This royally sucks my butt!  
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#8]
yes you have to register your handgun. A good excuse to move out of cleveland. I could give you 100's of other excuses also. I moved to a township 10yrs ago in another county.Cleveland=shithole
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Dang, you guys got me worried..I was seriously considering a DSA STG58A FAL...But it's actually illegal to own an assault type weapon in Cleveland?? I hope this isn't correct...amazing...

So, if I'm driving to a range, through Cleveland and for some odd reason I'm pulled over..and my bud is with me, with his ar15 and I have a FAL..we are in trouble?? Damn, I just can't believ this is how bad it's gotten..

Steve
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, it is true, assault rifles are banned in Cleveland, I would suggest contacting the Cleveland law department for the text to the ordinance to determine exactly which rifles this covers.

Also, Cleveland residents must register all handguns with the cleveland Police and be issued a permit.  It is not very expensive.  I believe what is needed is to bring the pistol and purchase receipt to the Cleveland Police department during certain hours.  

Call during the daytime at 623-1234 and they should be able to direct you to the correct office for information.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow, never thought I'd see the day..I thought California was bad...

Anyway...thank God I don't live in Cleveland..When I got out of the military I took my sig to the Mentor Police Dept to register it, they said, "nope, no registration needed"...of course, that was 10 years ago..if a person did that today, they'd probably arrest him or confiscate the weapon...

Oh well, were do you crazy kids shoot rifles at?..I know most indoor ranges will only allow pistol rounds to be fired..I guess there's no reason to get an FAL if I can't shoot it anywhere..

Steve
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Doesn't the IX Center, near the airport, host one of the largest gun shows in the US (Ohio Gun Collectors Association - OGCA)every two to three months?  How would they sell so many firearms and be able to be so close to Cleveland, if the laws were so strict?
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#14]
As I understand it, the Cleveland Hopkins/Brookpark IX center deal made the IX center part of Cleveland so now you can't have any shows with the big bad rifles.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#15]
If you want to stay legal, an option is to rent a storage space in a storage facility located outside of the city limits of Cleveland.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey all,
I am a LEO near Cleveland used to be Cleveland but woke up and left there.
I can tell you that all rifles that can accept a detachable magazine with a capacity of 10 or are illegal there.This means 22LR on up.Also shotguns with a capacity of more than 5+1 in the chamber.They tried to make it the same for handguns but then realized that the police would be in violation of the law with their 9mm Smith & Wessons.Also Cleveland requires handgun registration even if you are a LEO and have a second or backup weapon.
Only duty weapons are exempt.
So here is the deal.If you don't live in the city it does not effect you.If you are just passing through it's OK to have it.
99% of the cops here won't mess with you as long as you are cool with them and give them their respect.
I have seen some pretty shitty stuff there.
So BE CAREFUL.
Later.
GSX
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:48:41 PM EDT
[#17]
 Hey gsx678 ... is there any kind of documentation (besides the Constitution) that says we can't get in trouble for driving through Kleveland (never thought I'd have to spell it that way)with our 'sweeties'.
 I never even thought about it ...

P.S.  We shoot at Grand River in Trumbell County - $10 a year ..anyone need info then email me (and put AR15 in subject)
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:37:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Boston has the same law, though you can own any type of rifle outside of city limits, it's serious business even if passing through. I thought Boston was the only city with such a lousy law outside of California.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:31:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
 Hey gsx678 ... is there any kind of documentation (besides the Constitution) that says we can't get in trouble for driving through Kleveland (never thought I'd have to spell it that way)with our 'sweeties'.
 I never even thought about it ...

P.S.  We shoot at Grand River in Trumbell County - $10 a year ..anyone need info then email me (and put AR15 in subject)

Actually, a FEDERAL law covers this.  Check out the FOPA of 1986.  (This is the same law that bans future ownership of machineguns.)  The "protection" part comes in and involves the interstate transportation of firearms.  So long as the gun is legal at the starting and ending point, you can pass through "unfriendly" territory.  

Can someone with a better handle on this law jump in and quote the right parts?  Lawyers?  Agents?  BATF inspectors?  
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Wow, never thought I'd see the day..I thought California was bad...

Anyway...thank God I don't live in Cleveland..When I got out of the military I took my sig to the Mentor Police Dept to register it, they said, "nope, no registration needed"...of course, that was 10 years ago..if a person did that today, they'd probably arrest him or confiscate the weapon...

Oh well, were do you crazy kids shoot rifles at?..I know most indoor ranges will only allow pistol rounds to be fired..I guess there's no reason to get an FAL if I can't shoot it anywhere..

Steve

howdy neighbor!
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 5:51:38 AM EDT
[#22]
If any gun that can except a mag that holds more than 10 rds. is illegal in cleveland ,How does  Kmart get away with selling ruger 10/22's in there cleveland stores.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:24:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

howdy neighbor!hr

Hey, small world hehe..

Steve
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Hey all,
The thing is about the Cleveland law is that 99% of the cops and city officials don't even know how it reads.
As far as a Ruger 1022 at KMart.I believe it is Illegal for them to sell it.
But like I said most don't know the law.
As far as shooting near Cleveland you can shoot at Stonewall in brecksville.It is a indoor 25yrd range.One round in the mag at a time though and it must be soft point or hollow point.You can shoot rifles on monday Wednesday and Friday there. $16.00 range fee.
Later
GSX
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top