Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2003 3:16:31 PM EDT
New to FAL's and have opp. to get Imbel, but don't know value.  Good cond.  Chrome lined barrel.  18".  Any comments?
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#1]
When it comes to FALs, Imbel is generally considered to be 2nd highest ranked. Only DSA gets better reviews. What is the asking price?
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 4:43:29 AM EDT
[#2]
It is a trade for a Glock, so 500.  It is an Imbel kit on an Imbel receiver. SYn. stock, chrome lined barrel.  All I know now. Thanks for advice.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 5:24:49 AM EDT
[#3]
IMBELs are generally damn good rifles.  They were handled a lot but shot very little.  So mechanically they are in great shape although the exterior finish may be quite worn.  Also, they are painted with some type of black paint instead of using Bluing or Parkerizing.  It's most likely worth at least the amount the guy wants for it since it's built on a good receiver.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I looked at 2 FALs w/Imbel receivers at an Austin show yesterday. They were very, very nice looking! Price was around $550. I contacted Ohio Rapid Fire about their FALs & he told me it's an Imbel receiver w/DSA parts. I
think that's what I'm saving for next.

The Imbel receivers I looked at also had a company brand & Georgia (I think) on it. I can't remember the maker. Anyone know?
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Unfortunately "Imbel" by iteself doesn't really tell you much.   Many manufactures built rifles on imbel parts and receivers.   The only "real", complete rifle built by imbel were those imported by Springfield Arms as either the SAR-48 (preban) or SAR-4800(postban).  Century Arms built rifles on imbel receivers as did IAI (called the M444).   Many importers (Century included) also sold stripped receivers - the FAL is a big hobbyist gun.  In fact, you'll probably come across more rifles w/imbel receivers that are kit builds vs. built by major manufacturers.   As to who built it - who knows?  It could have been a professional smith, it could have been Bubba in his basement - no way to really tell for sure.  

There isn't really a problem with a home built gun (I've built two myself), if you know what you are doing, but you can't be certain he builder did and they generally don't have much of a resale value.  Perhaps he was cheap and decided to set the headspace by taking a dremel to the locking shoulder included in his kit instead of buying the proper sized on.  Perhaps he didn't bother to headspace it at all.   Did the builder bother to make it 922(r) compliant (i.e. - getting the imported parts count under 10 by replacing parts w/US made ones).  If so, which US made parts were replaced, and which manufacturer's replacement parts were used?  Is it AWB compliant?  If it's an 18" barrel, it was likely cut down - did they take a chop saw to it or was it cut on a lathe.  Was it properly crowned afterwards? Etc., etc., etc....

Basically, if I haven't gotten the point across already, there are potentially many unknowns here...  Unless it is a Springfield or IAI gun, the origins can be anything.  If you don't know what you are looking for, it could be hard to tell if a Century stamped receivered rifle was built by Century ($400), a $1000+ gunsmith build, or Bubba in his basement.  Unless you know the origins of the gun for certain or can take someone along who is knowledgable with FALs to look at it in person, you may want to pass...

If you can get more information on the markings on the receiver, perhaps we may be able to narrow it down a bit - importer, any additional model #'s, look for year stamped in the magwell, etc.

Rocko
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Honestly, you're probably better off with a Bubba build than a Century build.  

Also, look at the receiver.  If it the import mark is from PAC and not CIA, you at least know it wasn't a Century build.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top