Sweet rifle. FAL's are great rifles

And they are as addicting as ARs
GLOCK-23
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Always liked that Izzy Look, Enjoy
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:05:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Holy crap! Wolfpack and I have the Same FAL!

I got mine THIS WEEKEND TOO!

Surely the world is coming to an end.

When you come up to my neck of the woods in April, you're going to have to bring that one with you.

Also, your bipod is on backwards.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:27:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Good choice, Wolfie!
When you come up we can have a Ding-Dong eatin' FALFEST!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:23:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
About the bipod..I know but I will turn it around before I go to the range, havent even looked at how to do it yet.

There's a screw at the base where it mounts into that heavy ring around the barrel. Simply unscrew, yank on the bipod and it'll come off of the mount. Flip 180* and then moosh it back up onto the mount (this takes some musclepower and it's a bit difficult to get the holes to line up). All in all, turning the bipod around is child's play.

And I'm jealous, yours is pre-import ban, whereas mine is merely pre-AWB.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Sweet.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:14:57 PM EDT
[#11]
WP, The former - yes, the latter - I don't believe so.

The Springfield SAR-48 series rifles (Mine's a SAR-4800, meaning it's post-'98, pre-'94) were made in Brazil, probably by Imbel and imported, just like their 1911 clones, one of which I used to own.

Yours, being a SAR-48 meaning it's a pre-'89, so you don't need to worry about compliance parts, you can do whatever you dang well please with that rifle just so long as it doesn't violate the NFA. Me on the other hand... I'm stuck with one that I can only add U.S. parts to. At least it's 922(r) as-is and I don't need to add any more to it, however I can't take any away from it either.

If Springfield were to make their parts in the U.S. (receivers, barrels, fire control parts, lowers, gas systems, furniture) then yeah, I bet they could go right ahead and sell that rifle again in the U.S., but each rifle would likely cost over $2,000 a copy.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#13]
That is beautiful.

Those are quite a find.

You probably got a smokin deal on it too.

Lucky Bastard....

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Meansteve is correct. Make sure the receiver (that's the upper, for those of you used to the AR platform) is not marked SAR-4800 sporter anywhere on it.
Springfield can also help with it's manufacture date , to a certain degree, but they may not be able to tell you about it's configuration. I have been down this road before.
Funny story about Meansteve's rifle.
I had a Springfield M1a. i traded it for the Springfield SAR-4800, on the assumption it was pre-ban (D"OH!). Turned out to be a Pre-94/post -89 import. The original parts where long gone, replaced by an ill-fitting L1A1 parts set. After much frustration, I swapped it to gunsap for an RSA FAL, and he built the SAR into an IZZY HBAR, as Meansteve so proudly now possesses. And I have the PARA FAL that Gunsap built for himself ,traded to Meansteve for a BAja bug, and I received in trade from Meansteve for a Norinco 84s (I wonder what ever happened to that rifle...).
Welcome to our small world, buddy!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:36:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:56:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I never wanted an FAL  before this.
Now I want an FAL just like that.
Wolfpack - you're a real bastard.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:03:51 PM EDT
[#17]
First. Congrats. That is a fine looking FAL. Second. If you decide to put iron rear sights on it, you will need either Israeli metrics or L1A1 inch pattern. A standard metric will fit, but won't be tall enough for you to set zero.

BTW, posting pics of battle rifles without a mag inserted will make your hair fall out. Or so I've heard.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:39:12 AM EDT
[#18]
That's a nice SAR.......glad you decided to purchase it.

What was the final number.....if its not too personal.

Here's a few pics of my Izzy Fal, build on a PAC/Imbel Receiver.

My identity must be concealed........well, not really, just thought that would be more pleasing to the eye, than my mugg....and a nice one of my friend.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:24:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:36:25 AM EDT
[#20]
I am using a 3x Compact ACOG w/ Amber Crosshair reticle on the PARA. Larue Mini-Dos over DSA Extreme rail. VERY HAPPY with this set up.
I tried the Leopold Vari-X II3-9 on it, just wasn't tactical enough. And I really needed it for the varmint gun.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:47:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey, Suzuki, who did that muzzle job? I'm thinking about getting a new barrel assembly for mine (I think I might want to do a free-floated sort of setup For Maximum Accuracy).

Also, settle a bet. The firer in that second picture? Duder or chicken?

Gunmonkey seems to think said image has a thick-waisted Asianette whereas I'm of the opinion that it's a lanky homeboy.

MINDS NEED TO KNOW, MANG!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:28:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Hey, Suzuki, who did that muzzle job? I'm thinking about getting a new barrel assembly for mine (I think I might want to do a free-floated sort of setup For Maximum Accuracy).

Also, settle a bet. The firer in that second picture? Duder or chicken?

Gunmonkey seems to think said image has a thick-waisted Asianette whereas I'm of the opinion that it's a lanky homeboy.

MINDS NEED TO KNOW, MANG!

HAHA.......1st question first.  Its not too hard.....I just used a FSE fake STG muzzle brake (www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=US002SCP&storeid=1&image=mbastg58.gif), and and silver solder, with a propane MAPP torch.

You need to make sure you align it right......the 1st time I did it, the muzzle brake shot off after the 1st shot.

I used a rod from Home Depot, to make sure its straight...stuck into the barrel....that would make it easier.  Also, I also pinned it in place too.........this was all after the 94 ban......but I sort of like the way it looks, and looks cool at night.

Below is a link of my Izzy in action......

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9202657641957288919&q=fal

And GM has it nailed.....its a gal, and MY WIFE!!!

Just kidding..........she has since grown out her hair, after a few mistaken comments.  I told her so.....but its okay, no one ever listens to me anyhow.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:44:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:42:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:52:50 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

..... were made in Brazil, probably by Imbel.....

acutally these HBAR's where assembled by SA Inc. using new Israeli parts kits and Imbel recievers re-tooled by SA Inc. to accept the Hebrew style metric parts kits
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:19:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top