Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2002 3:20:23 PM EDT
That's it in  a nut shell, I'v got the brass, bullets, dies, powder, but no 44 mag.  If you'v got one tell me your likes and dislikes.  If you'v got 2 or more which is your sunday go to meeting 44mag.  You know, the one you wear on your hip to impress the neighbor girl.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Ruger Redhawk or Black Hawk.By far the most accurate and strongest

if you are looking for one that could also be a carry gun, get the Smith and Wesson Mountain gun, priced about $550 or so.

Taurud makes a good one, but I hope it lasts longer than their other guns!
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on what you're looking for.

Accuracy: S&W 29 or 629.
Reliability & Toughness: Ruger Super Blackhawk
El Cheapo: Taurus M44
Rarity/Cache': Colt Anaconda

Suggest the Ruger.  You'll never break it.

You could also get a DEagle.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 3:52:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the S&W 629 SS Classic, and  umm, I got it befor they were the bad gun Co.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Go with the Ruger Blackhawk.  Built like a tank.  Mine has a 5 1/2 barrel and rubber grips.  I shoot reloads.  320 gr. over a nice charge of 296 or h110.  It can be very accurate also.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Explore your options.

www.danwessonfirearms.com
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a ruger super blackhawk 7 1/2 inch with herret stocks. I reload for it a lot and have made some extremely heavy and hot loads. the gun is extrmely tough. . . a lot more so than any double action. i have to say that it is definitely the most accurate pistol i own. get one and enjoy.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Ruger has just re-issued the Hunter Blackhawk model (I have one of the originals).  It is a single action stainless revolver with a 7.5" barrel and built in scope mount on the full length vent rib.  I have a Burris 2x scope on mine.  If you are the type that regularly shoots your double action revolver in single action mode.............why not just get a single action model.  

The other .44 I have is the Dan Wesson 744.  Nice strong heavy (maybe kinda large??) framed revolver.  Nice thing about DW's is the interchangeable barrels.  I have the 4", 6", and 8" barrels for mine.  The 6" and 8" are ported.  

I do not currently own a .44 S&W, but have fired several. (I do have a Mod 57 N-frame, but that is chambered for .41 mag).  The 629 classic is a nice revolver.  

OSA

Link Posted: 2/13/2002 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Colt Custom shop is once again cranking out the Anaconda.  It is cool and certainly isn't as common as the Ruger models available.  

If you want to impress someone with the "size of your piece" go look at the Taurus .44 magnum pistol that is very similar to the .454 Casull Raging Bull model.

I have never shot a .44 mag that wasn't fun to shoot and I have shot everything mentioned in this thread so far.  Single action, double action and your intended use for the gun should have some bearing on your choice as will price.

Link Posted: 2/13/2002 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Definetly a Ruger Redhawk.
RH-445.
RedHawk-.44/5.5" bbl.
Blued.

Mine has the Hogue rubber fingergroove grip.

If you can stand the stainless look, it would look nice on Sunday with Hogue Kingwood grips...
Or, the 7.5" stainless with, perhaps, the ivory handle look?

I think this is the best .44 in general, for strength and ease of use.  Double-action is the way to go for a carry .44.
For hunting, the 'Hunter' version was mentioned and would be a superb choice.

Pertinent story:
Friend with Ruger Redhawk blue 7.5" reloads and uses "undercharged" ammo.
( there is a term for this phenomenon, studied at a military proving ground...the effect is similar to a shaped charge detonation...the powder is below the primer fire, which goes to both ends and lights the powder, where the only place to blow is UP )
Result?
BOOM!!
Top half of topstrap sheared away when the top 3 rounds in the cylinder detonated.
Frame bent a wee bit, too.
Friend is lucky, with no serious injuries despite the fact he wasn't wearing eye protection!
Conclusion?
Friend is dipshit.

He actually went home in one piece and pulled all the ammo apart to verify the undercharge situation.  500 rounds worth.  
Damn glad I didn't shoot someone elses 'reloads'.
The Ruger Redhawk is a strong gun, but, cripes!
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#11]
S&W Mountain Gun...luv em!
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 10:36:19 PM EDT
[#12]
was that under charge Win 296 or H-110, reloading manuals say not to use light charges of these powders...  Bluemax
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 4:18:04 AM EDT
[#13]
My understanding is the slower powders like H110 or 2400 must never be downloaded and this warning is on the front of the container. I regularly load 44 mag at 44 special velocity using Unique..
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 4:27:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a blued, 6" Smith & Wesson Model 29 Classic Hunter. Aside from having the finest trigger pull I've ever felt on an out-of-the-box firearm, it has the odd and very cool adjustable front sight. The rear is adjustable for windage only, the front adjusts to 4 different points for elevation, allowing you to set it up for a single load at 4 different ranges, or 4 loads at a single distance.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 5:17:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I had a Performance Center M629 Extreme Hunter.  it had a 12" barrel, it was a supper accurate gun.  BUT the steel was bad and it kept spot rusting.  I sent it back and actually got a full refund!!!  Now that $$$ is funding an AR project...  Anyway, Smith is comming around, but I'm still not sure.  For the novelty I'd go with the Desert Eagle, for ruggedness the Super Redhawk.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 5:26:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm saving to buy the S&W Stealth Hunter:
http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/Chokey/StealthHunter.jpg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top