Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2002 1:46:48 PM EDT
Ok, this may be a stupid topic since this in AR15.com, but here goes. If you could only own ONE gun (a very horrible world), and CC was legal, what would you own ? What would you own if CC was not legal ?

For me, if I could CC I would own a Glock G27. IT is small enough to carry yet accurate out to 25 yds and it holds 10 rounds. If CC was not an option I would be torn between an AR and a good semi-auto shotgun. I'd probabley go with the shotgun becuase I could hunt deer and birds with it and I could put an 18" barrel on it and it would be a good defensive weapon. I can't hunt deer with an AR in my state, so if that law was changed I'd probably go choose the AR and forget about hunting birds.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#1]
If I could only own one of my firearms and it had to do all necessary duties (home defense, CCW, range, etc.) I would have to keep my Glock 32.  Because of the CCW issue, rifles are out.  What a horrible thought!

If I could only own one of my firearms and CCW was out, I'd have to keep my pre-ban Colt AR-15.

But luckily, at least for now I can have how ever many I want or can afford (thanks VISA ).

Link Posted: 3/9/2002 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 2:05:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Remington 870 shotgun for hunting everything from bunnies to bears, good for defending the home too. I can't see going through life with only a pistol, much as I like carrying one.

Ditto, and a good F@$king knife!
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Aimless is 100% right.  If you had to have ONE firearm, just one, IMHO, one would want a Remington 870.  I'd prefer a pump and a Rem 870 magnum express specifically.  The reliability and versatility are second to none...

Thank God I own one...
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#5]
CC would be a Glock 19 and no CC, would have to go for my 16" Bull SSF flat top with Nightforce 3.5-15x56.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#6]
HK MP5PDW...   concealable (as a subgun can be), full auto, accurate (for a short barrel).  Hell, I'd try hunting with it, figure I'd get that deer with at least the first 3-4 rounds, and send the rest of the mag after him as he's running away.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll third the Rem 870, but if CCW was an option I'd go with a Ruger GP-100 4" stainless.

A question similar to this was asked to 100 Maine guides and the answer 90% of them gave was Rem. 870. Another popular "only have one gun" was a Winchester 94.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#8]
M1A Scout, I prefer the power.

870? Australia banned those, but I think singles and doubles are still legal.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Steyr Scout.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Colt M4A1 - good for CQB and out to 500m if need be

Plus I could use it at 200-300m to collect a whole lot of CCW guns from those who thought a pistol was a good only gun...
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#11]
yep, something in an M4

Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#12]
The bottom one:
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#13]
From a handgun perspective for CC: A Glock 23 with trijicon 3 dots, pre-ban mags of course, and a few G22 mags as well.

For general utility, hunting, & defense: A Benelli M3 Super 90, with tritium rifle sights & folding stock.  Lots of various shot shells, specialty rounds, tear gas, and slugs.

And if the question were "If you could have any single gun in the world": A Stoner 63 Weapon System with everything needed to convert it to each variation of the weapon, as well as the belt links, square and round drum belt feed mags, and standard rifle mags.  Don't forget tons of .223 ammo to feed it, and plenty of spare barrels.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 4:59:49 AM EDT
[#14]
If you could only own ONE gun ....

I would probably sid down and cry....while cleaning my M-4.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 5:23:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

And if the question were "If you could have any single gun in the world": A Stoner 63 Weapon System with everything needed to convert it to each variation of the weapon, as well as the belt links, square and round drum belt feed mags, and standard rifle mags.  Don't forget tons of .223 ammo to feed it, and plenty of spare barrels.

Great pick for bringing home small game but what about home defense ??

I would be torn between my old Belgium Browning 16 gauge and my ArmaLite M15A4.

If truly forced to choose between those two probably I would keep the M15A4.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 6:00:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great pick for bringing home small game but what about home defense ??

hoose

LOL! Well, for home defense my answer would have to be hands down "My trusty lever action Red Rider BB Gun."
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#17]
AR-10.  Best of both worlds.  Power and repair parts are easy to get.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 11:21:43 AM EDT
[#18]
busmaster
what type of pistol grip stock did u put on that rem742? did u have to modify it any?
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#19]
busmaster
what type of pistol grip stock did u put on that rem742? did u have to modify it any? now that i look at it i think its just a 7400. i thought it was 742 carbine. basicly the same rifle.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 11:26:25 AM EDT
[#20]
M2 .50 cal, and anything I could pick up from the suckers who walk into my fields of fire.

GET SOME!

Link Posted: 3/10/2002 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I've got a different view on the matter.  My one gun would be my Marlin Model 60.  While 22LR probably wouldn't be good enough to stop anyone with one shot, I have no intention of ever firing only one shot.  While the big shotguns and AR-10's some of you guys are posting might be fine for you, what about for the next generation of shooters?  A good 22LR rifle is a much better choise for introducing someone to shooting.  Also, you can shoot it all day long for not much money.  I like my AR, but honestly, I've fired my Marlin hundreds of times for every shot I've fired in my AR.

If CC was legal?  That's a much more difficult question.  I've got a Kel-Tec P-32 that's a complete piece of junk.  My choise would be a working P-32.  I know that's not a likely thing, but we are just talking wishes right?z
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
busmaster
what type of pistol grip stock did u put on that rem742? did u have to modify it any? now that i look at it i think its just a 7400. i thought it was 742 carbine. basicly the same rifle.

Choate.
A little filing down of the material that fits into the back of the action.
It is a 7400; there are 4 lugs on the bolt vs. 19.  Pretty much the same.  The stock will fit the 870/1187/740/742/7400.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#23]
If I had to choose, it would be all of them...
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 5:23:51 PM EDT
[#24]
5.45 all the way, baby.

www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?UV=971182406013_81588965303&US=0&collid=43447159203

Takes a licken and keeps on 'ticken.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Remington 870 shotgun for hunting everything from bunnies to bears, good for defending the home too. I can't see going through life with only a pistol, much as I like carrying one.

Ditto that too!
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
M2 .50 cal, and anything I could pick up from the suckers who walk into my fields of fire.

GET SOME!

Ok, I changed my mind...
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Barrett M82A1
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 10:12:07 PM EDT
[#28]
M1A.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 2:18:25 AM EDT
[#29]
A really tricked-out LORCIN .25 acp with pink grips AND a broomhandle stock....

LOOKOUT!
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 8:48:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Galil SAR. More than adequate for home defense or taking the fight elsewhere...
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 9:20:25 AM EDT
[#31]
BTT (added poll)
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Hmmmm, only one gun?
How about that gun from "The Fifth Element" with the flame thrower, machine gun (with repeat option, darts, net etc.  That sounds pretty good.
Seriously though, something in an M4 type configuration would fit the bill.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#34]
I probably choose something in an M4 pre-ban.
Small enough to work with, yet still very accurate.

ArmaLiter
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 3:20:17 PM EDT
[#35]
A .22rimfire rifle of single-shot falling-block design.

1) Few parts. It can be made to fire with a rubber-band or a rock, working the hammer. This is assuming the lockwork has malfunctioned. But it's the worlds simplist and most rugged designed lockwork available, with only a hammer, trigger, and spring. And only the hammer is needed to fire the weapon. This is where exposed-hammer firearms have the advantage.

All the parts can be reproduced by a hobby machinest on a mill and leathe. You can easily recarve a stock using woodworking tools.

2) You have, most likely, been disarmed. A .22 can easily be suppressed by mechanical means or through the employment of 'field expediant vegetable suppression'.

3) The .22 rimfire is used by thousands of poachers each year to take deer sized game. You will be able to keep yourself and your family fed.

4) Quiet report. Being quiter, it will be harder to be detected by your disarmers.

5) Amunition of very large amounts can be carried, while weighing less than a basic load of centerfire ammunition of the same size.

Let's face it, if one day you were only allowed one gun, you can bet the semi-autos were banned a long time prior to the event. Your job now is to re-establish the governent designed in the US Constitution. Your .22 rimfire can get yourself and other Militia members into closer ranges undetected, and gain you the automatic battle rifles of the enemy.    

I went and bought one of the "Stevens Favorite" .22 falling blocks, after reading much of the information on Survivalist and Militia boards. I could reproduce all of its parts, including the receiver, with a drill-press and files, and a barrel could easily be turned on my leathe.

It's just something to think about. Remember, this firearme will need to last for the rest of your life, and there will probaly be no aftermarket parts available.  

Also, my ARs would have been BURRIED when the semi-auto ban had went into effect.:)

Take Care!
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#36]
12 gauge Riot Gun/ Rem 870 type/ 18" W/ seven shot mag extention, Ghost Ring Sights, and a side folding stock.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#37]
If I could only own ONE firearm..it would be this one..

It is very cheap, very effective and more reliable than my M1A, FAL and AR15. It has greater range and penetration than my AK.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Don't care to hunt anymore, but I sure do love to shoot my AR.  It's the only choice for me.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 11:33:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Only allowed to own one gun?

No prob.  Don't even need to think about it.  It would be a good, tack driving .300 win mag, like my Sako.  

What really bothers me is what I would use it for.  If my government sought to control me to such an extent then it would be time to make a new government.

Step one,  set up an ambush.

Step two,  take out the first small group of government thugs you see.

Step three,  take their guns.

Step four,  repeat.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 12:47:02 AM EDT
[#40]
OK more serious this time.....

I don't care if CCW is legal, not legal, or wrapped in sushi, I'd have to pick RIFLE---what type?
Military most likely--but not necessariy.

I can't fathom why someone would pick a handgun in such a scenario.....
Maybe it's because some of us can't quite understand the finality of "IF YOU COULD ONLY HAVE ONE GUN".
Gunowners just can't grasp that concept, yet I hope it'll never become reality.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 6:22:48 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I can't fathom why someone would pick a handgun in such a scenario.....
Maybe it's because some of us can't quite understand the finality of "IF YOU COULD ONLY HAVE ONE GUN".
Gunowners just can't grasp that concept, yet I hope it'll never become reality.

I started this topic to becuase I wanted to see if people would give up the capability to ever carry concealed by chosing a longarm as thier one and only gun. I'm assuming that the rest of this hypothetical one gun world is the same as ours is now. I would chose a handgun becuase I like carring now and I'd like to continue to do so. I also think that in the situation that we live in now a handgun that is highly accessable is gonna save your ass more often then a longarm. I added the second question of if CC was not legal to see what kind of longarms people would chose.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top