Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2002 9:23:11 AM EDT
Hello everyone!
I've been lurking around for a couple of weeks now.  I must say that I have learned a lot about AR's here.  I am getting ready to purchase my first AR and am having trouble choosing just one.  I will be using it for plinking, self defense and a little varmit and target shooting.  What configuration would work the best?
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Bushmaster:
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/pcwa3s20.asp
with these options:
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/buttstocks/1005-087-8988pek.asp
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/buttstocks/15002.asp...just the grip.
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/magazines/rm-15a1.asp
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/magazines/ttmp.asp
A Harris bipod and #5 adapter.
A quick way to scope it is with Weaver see-thru rings mounted directly to the top with the A2 sight handle removed.
Scope choice is whatever you have or wish to afford.
This is a quick way to get going.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 9:41:57 AM EDT
[#2]
tpuls, Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty Carbine (A2 or A3, whichever you like). All you'll ever need (not necessarily all you'll ever want).
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm, All round I would go with a 20" Model in the A3 configuration (if its bushmaster) , that is a removable carry handle. I would also buy a Aimpoint M2 or a Trijicon Advanced Combat optical sight and a good Low light 4-12x40/50 mm Long range sight. Yes for one gun , If I was starting all over and given my knowledge now. That would be my first setup.  

All the rifles are good and the first thing you will discover about the AR is one, Glass is equal if not more important than the rifle itself.  And learn how to use your IRON sights well and efficiently, learn how to produce your BEZO (Battlefield Zero) on your sights.  

If I was going to get a Carbine I would go with a Bushmaster Dissipator (same sight radius as the Long Rifle AR very helpful).

And for me I would do this:
Go ahead and buy three or four extra clips to get you started 20 rounders are fine , but 30 are better.

In reality all this extra stuff does is keep you from realizing what you need next as soon as you get your rifle home.  Prepare to be sucked in by the AR. It will move you to do things that ordinary gun enthusiasts dont do.  Like buy all the trinkets.

See my next project is this:

Bushmaster DCM and a DCM lower

Then from Bushmaster order Catalog.

20" Vmatch Upper with CarryHandle/and Flip up front site.
16" Dissipator with CMORE Rail handguards.

Well you get the picture it just keeeps going and going.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#4]
If i could only have ONE AR...
I would get a Colt M4 auto, built on an A2 upper.

If I could only have one legal AR...
if I lived out side of CA that would be...
RRA CAR with mid-length hand guards, A2 upper, fixed telescoping stock in black.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Lets see? If I could have only one AR--- I would cry! [>Q]
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Jump right up and get the 2002 LGEP. I understand it is DCM configuration.  You will learn tons about shooting and spending.  If it turns out that you want to get out of the sport, you can bail without much loss. If you are in a hurry, get a Bushmaster or equal off the boards. Good luck, trying to live with one AR.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a Bushmaster flat top with a Govt. profile 20" chrome lined barrel
Buy a carbon fiber handguard and have rails installed in the 11 O'clock (for a surefire light) and sling swivel in the 1'Oclock.  Send the whole thing down to KurtsKustom Firearms (see industry forum) Have him cut your barrel down into an 18" configuration and lighten up the last few inches of barrel. Also have him install a light wt. gas block for a flip up front sight.(two other konfiguratins would be a Kurtsgewehr with a flat top or the fixed carry handle and issue sights get trijicon inserts) Get a rear flip up sight..from ARMS. Get a Ergo-grip pistol grip from Cav Arms. Youll need a scope..I would recommend a either a ACOG the (TA01-NSN or TA-11) but they are hard to come by..or the Leupold Mark4 CQ/T email Donny Prisp at [email protected] or phone 309-496-3030 Donny has imo a great deal on these and other Leupolds
www.sableco.net/id31.htm
My other choice for optics on the 18" barrel would be the Leupold M1LR Tactical 3.5X10X40 with sunshade I would go with Badger rings but they to are hard to come by so I would probably opt for ARMS quick detach Donny has these to at a good price imo.Get a Bushy lower from any number of suppliers on this board or from Bushmaster themselves but if you order the Govt. profile barrel I believe it only comes in preban so you will have to order this separately and ship to kurt to make it post ban for you..
So you end up with three possibilites
1. Kurt post ban flat top 18" Govt. profile barrel
2.Kurtsgewehr (dissipator) flat top version
3. Kurtsgewehr (dissiptor) carry handle version
and several scope choices The Acogs (the 3X cross hair reticle mini-ACOG for the carry handle kurtsgewehr) The Leupold Mark4 CQ/T The Leupy Tactical M1 3.5X10X40
Other scope choice might be IOR M1 4X
Congratulations dude ..your gettin an AR and if you follow my advice you just spent hell've alot more money than you needed to...
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll agree that a Bushmaster 20" barrel with flat top (A3) upper is the way to go. Have the detachable iron sights and when you can spring for it get a red dot sight for fast work if the need ever came up. Stock is alway best. Except maybe for a A2 styled muzzle brake but that's 80% for looks and 20% function so it can wait also. Set the sling up for patrol carry like the US Speacial forces and the Isrealis do with either para cord or duct tape and you will be covering most of the bases. Get at least eight magazines too. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#9]
the one question nobody is asking is "how much are you willing to spend"? if its less than a 1000, get a post ban bushmaster. over a 1000 get you a preban sp1 colt or blue/green label colt.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I would recommend the bushy 16"w/a2 stock and removeble carry handle.I have a few ar's and this is the one I seem to shoot most often.Almost as accurate as a 20" but much more handy.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Am I going to be the first one to chime in with an AR10?
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Depends on how limited the budget is..  If its really tight and you're not in a rush..  Consider an Armalite AR-180b..  Great new weapon at about $600.00 and sweet but ugly..  Just got one of the first ones out last week and so far I LOVE IT !!!   If you're goin' AR-15 for sure..  I love Bushmaster...
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks to everyone for the input.   It really confirms what I've been thinking.  A  Bushmaster 20" barreled A3 or 16" A3 seemed to fit the bill.  That is, for my first one! I can already see that this hobby is gonna cost me!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top