Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 4:04:47 AM EDT
Been looking at some Level II and IIa vests that I can get for a decent price to run in conjuction with my plates and wondered for overall mobility/protection what are the best combos. Of course I could go up to a Level III vest but this will cost me several $ more than I was wanting to spend right now. Just wanted some opinions. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:20:17 AM EDT
[#1]
While it is more expensive, you really should consider spending the money on the level IIIA's for your soft armor.  Level II's are more for piece of mind for the uneducated cop and will stop little more than a .22.  Even though you plan on running plates, even "stand-alone" plates should be used with soft armor.  It's a complete system.  

Anyway, I run PACA IIIA BALCS-cut soft armor with TAP GAMMA III+ plates in my CIRAS and like it a lot.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:46:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Level II's are more for piece of mind for the uneducated cop and will stop little more than a .22.  .

WTF? Kinda flys in the face of NIJ testing doesn't it?

Care to share more on your insights?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:49:36 AM EDT
[#3]
NIJ testing is in IDEAL conditions,  Just like that sticker on your car that says how many MPG your supposed to get, it never lives upto the promises.

It will probably stop it, but also remember their testing is with Specific Velocities and Specific Weights.  If that 9mm is an extra 10 grains, it isn't rated for that so it may or may not stop it.

Notice when you looked at plates, they don't talk as much about weights or velocites, they normally just say ALL 7.62x39 or ALL 7.62x54.  

edblevi

Check out gunbroker, I picked up a Flecktarn III vest for $250 I think it was.  Imported German body-armor.  Its 16 layers on the front and back (Level III) and then 8 layers on the shoulders and neck (IIA, more likely to stock flak than bullets but hey)

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Good points, I'll think about it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Check out gunbroker, I picked up a Flecktarn III vest for $250 I think it was. Imported German body-armor. Its 16 layers on the front and back (Level III) and then 8 layers on the shoulders and neck (IIA, more likely to stock flak than bullets but hey)

Bulletproofme.com has 16 layers listed as Level IIa, 22 as Level II (which is what I was talking about getting) and 30 as Level III. I am not trying to argue, but I also want to get the right information. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Bulletproofme.com has 16 layers listed as Level IIa, 22 as Level II (which is what I was talking about getting) and 30 as Level III. I am not trying to argue, but I also want to get the right information. Thanks

I knew it was either 16 or 32 some multiple.  It's 32 then.  There are 2 sets of 16 layers.  I got my numbers confused.  My vest has two layers of 16 for the front and back.  I dunno why, but thats just how it came, I guess to make it lighter if you wanted.

Sorry about that one.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Been looking at some Level II and IIa vests that I can get for a decent price to run in conjuction with my plates and wondered for overall mobility/protection what are the best combos. Of course I could go up to a Level III vest but this will cost me several $ more than I was wanting to spend right now. Just wanted some opinions. Thanks

Based on the research done by Mad Dog on www.tacticalforums.com/, he recommends US Armor Enforcer Eagle.  Here's what he has to say;

As always, I recommend against any vests constructed primarily of Gold Flex, Spectra/UHMW, or Zylon. These materials are the worst at defeating contact hits, which approximately 46% of Officers who get shot will experience. They also suffer from degradation due to common environmental conditions.

The best vest, hands down, is the US Armor Enforcer Eagle. It seems to perform the best, ounce per ounce, of any currently available.
Choose a threat level appropriate to your perceived needs, and always opt for the most protection you can wear. The vest is not a fashion statement, it is an insurance policy.

I live and work in a very hot place, Arizona.
I went with the IIIA version because it is the best at stopping bullets, and offers the best blunt trauma protection.
The woven Du Pont Kevlar construction is proven over the last 30 years as being the most durable and reliable under a wide variety of environmental conditions.
Realistically, I do not sweat any more or less wearing a reliable IIIA vest than I do while wearing a "oooh golly, it's Lighter!! Thinner!!" level IIA bullet sponge.

I believe the Enforcer Eagle in level II or IIIA is the best patrol/duty vest available today.
They stop bullets.

I also recommend using the removable/washable carriers. Although they add a layer or two of material to the overall thickness, they are easily cleaned and last longer than the non washable carriers. Always order an extra carrier with your vest. While one is in the wash, the other is on you.

It is available here at a reasonable price.
Street Pro

Tactical Forum Vest Thread
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:17:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Good info, thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top