Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/20/2006 11:21:54 AM EDT
My friend is going to be moving into a not so happy state (MD), and wanted a relatively cheap to aquire and cheap to shoot rifle. We've ruled out the SKS family, as he thinks they are illegal over there. The main conclusion is a bolt gun. Now, I have suggested to him either a Mosin-Nagant Rifle/Carbine or a Yugo Mauser if it's possible. He doesn't really care if it's been "bubba'd," as it's going to be a shooter/truck gun. Price range is $100 or less, the cheaper the better, and same goes for ammo, mil-surp is king. Do you all think there are any Yugos running around out there for that price, or are we looking directly at the Nagants? I already have a 91/59 and love it, and he's shot it and likes it as well. I also remember seeing some rough on the outside but nice on the inside Yugos for about $60, but that was last year and I think everyone has bought them all up. He'd also prefer a bent bolt handle, but straight is just fine too. I know a lot of the Turk Mausers fit the bill, but given the choice, I would vote Nagant over one of those, and Yugo over the Nagant. We'll be heading to a gun show tomorrow, so I just wanted thoughts. Thanks all.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:06:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:05:11 PM EDT
Actually SKS are perfectly legal here in MD and are sold over the counter on a form 4473.

The only restrictions on SKS type rifles apply to the M and D models which take AK mags. These rifles are not banned they just require MD state paperwork (treated like a handgun) at the time of sale.

Just so you don't dimiss the SKS option.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:18:36 PM EDT
What happens if he owns one and then moves to MD? Is it legal, or would he have to purchase it there?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:43:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/20/2006 3:47:23 PM EDT by stratsandaks]

Originally Posted By dar48:
What happens if he owns one and then moves to MD? Is it legal, or would he have to purchase it there?

If he moves here with it he's good to go.

The only thing banned here are 15 'assault pistols,' they had to be in the state and registered before a certain date in '95 or '96 after that, they can't be brought in.

Before he gets here though, he should stock up on any over 20 round magazines and any handguns that he is thinking of purchasing. Buying 'regulated' weapons in MD is a hassle.

Here's a good site, with lots of info about Md gun laws:

groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/introduction.msnw
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:54:03 PM EDT
Thanks for the info. I'll have to tell him about a few things when we meet up again.
Top Top