Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2002 4:46:25 PM EDT
For years I have been searching for what I would call an ideal rifle that suited my taste for reliability, caliber, accuracy, cost and ability to deliver rounds quickly. I had almost given up my search. The AK fits the reliable and inexpensive requirement but fires a round that suffers from poor terminal ballistics and limited range. The AR-15 rifles have superb accuracy, firepower and reliability that is adequate, but doesn't fire the .30 caliber round I want. The AR10 and M1A do but are so expensive they are out of reach of most shooters and magazine cost in unbearable. And finally the G3's and FAL's and such are great guns, but again the good ones are too expensive. Of course we have the ones cobbled together with Hesse and Century receivers, but I could never trust them with my life. Then I thought about Remington's 7400. But it too has a reputation for poor reliability and durability. Not to mention the 10 rd mags are aftermarket ones made by such company's as USA, Triple K and Millett. My experience with these mags have been dismal. So I thought, what else  is there out there?

Then I remembered the Saiga and VEPR's, that are produced in 7.62X51 mm (.308). These aren't that expensive, use the tried and true AK action, seem to be well built and fire the .308 round in 10 round mags, or at least the Saiga does. It also has a scope rail attached in case you want optics.

From what I can gather about these rifles, they are pretty nice and accurate enough for what I want. They should be completely reliable and since I am familar with the AK design, easy to care for. Of course they don't have 20 or 30 round magazines with them, but I consider 10 rounds good enough for me considering that it is 10 rounds of .308 NATO. Besides, I can buy extra mags.

Can anyone comment on either of these two rifles in this caliber? Since the surplus ammo is so cheap, I think this would make a good overall package. Such a rifle could be a plinker, a hunter with SP ammo, and do basically anything you could ask of a rifle. I realize that it probably would not have target rifle accuracy, but that doesn't matter to me. If it will do 4" or better at 100 yards, that's good enough for me. So, what's everyone think of these rifles and who has good prices on them?
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:04:15 PM EDT
[#1]
well i have a vepr rifle...i'll give you my take.  good accuracy (mine will easily do sub 4 moa with iron sights) and completely reliable.  they are a little bit on the heavy side, but the best build ak on the market.

i'd recommend going with a 20 barrel (the 24" on the rifle is just a touch too long).  i'd also plan on going with the m14 mag conversion (do a search you'll find the info).  the vepr 10 round mags are around $30+, so for the price your better off with the m14 mags.

may i recommend the cemte .308 from century arms.  might be a slightly better option.    
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I would consider a CETME if I knew they were dependable. If they were all original I wouldn't even question their quality, but after Century has had their hands on them, I can't be too sure! LOL. I do like the fact that mags for them are cheap though. If I hear enough good things about the CETME I may consider one of them. I have never dealt with one and have zero knowledge about them. I appreciate the suggestion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top