Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2012 6:45:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2012 6:48:28 PM EDT by skunk-ape]
I set up a Lee Pro 1000, like new, slightly used and loaded about 200 - 45 ACPs

like I said in an earlier post, I had hell at first when I found out I had some of those damndable small primer pocket bastards mixed in with my clean brass

I got those all sorted out and got me 200 rounds loaded up.

I took out my Glock 30 and right off the bat, I found that after a few rounds the slide was slightly out of battery.
I jack the slide, eject the live round and proceed.

fire a few rounds, no problem, then it happens again. and so on and so on.

I quaranteened the rounds that woudn't chamber and field strip the gun and pull out the barrel

when I dropped a factory loaded round in, it easily drops into the chamber fully and I check how far down it drops.

then I drop in one of the trouble rounds and it visibly stops about 1/32 of an inch or so from fully seating but some of them that woudn't seat while firing, were darn close to seating fully, it was hard to see the difference in some of them

This was a few days ago and tonight I got around to looking at them closer

I took about 150 of my loaded rounds, including about 30 of the ones I had off to the side that wouldn't chamber

turns out that overall length didn't seem to be an issue but the diameter of the case at the base and top were different.

a factory loaded round I had was about .4700 to .471 max diameter at either end but the ones that would not fit in the chamber were .472 and slightly bigger

I figured either I wasn't fully stroking the press on these or my resizing die wasn't set right, so I gave it about 3/4 turn down and loaded up 20 more rounds making sure to fully stroke the press this time

all of these fit fine in the Glock

and I took the barrel out of my Springfield XD 45 and guess what? about 85 percent of the rounds that wouldn't fit in the Glock fit in the Springfield

now, is there that much difference in chambers and do you think the die was not set right or it was me short stroking

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:52:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:53:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dryflash3:
What bullet are you loading?

If you run your seated rounds in a Lee FCD, Factory Crimp Die, They will be crimped and will chamber.

I bought some bulk FMJs at the gun show. I bought them by the pound. was this bad?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:58:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By skunk-ape:

If you run your seated rounds in a Lee FCD, Factory Crimp Die, They will be crimped and will chamber.

I bought some bulk FMJs at the gun show. I bought them by the pound. was this bad?

Well...you know you're in trouble when you can't drop a reloaded round into a Glock chamber.

Post some pics, if you can.

Chris

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:01:22 PM EDT
Sounds like you are not getting the brass full length resized. Adjust the sizing die down until the die touches the shell holder when it is up, maybe a quarter turn further down just to be sure.

When you pull down on the handle no space should be between the shell holder and die.

Once this done, adjust the bell peice down until it barely widens the casing mouth. The bullet should just fit but not go in to the brass.

When priming, make sure the primer is fully seated.

That is all I can think of and yes I use lee dies on my dillon 650 progessive press.

As far chambers, manufactures use sammi standard spec that have a min to max size for brass. Usually a slightly larger chamber is for reliability so that the gun will not jam if carbon build up occers between cleaning. Military chambers are cut slight larger to help reliability because of the number of rounds fired between cleanings or the dirty envoronment the guns are used in.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:05:32 PM EDT
I figured either I wasn't fully stroking the press on these or my resizing die wasn't set right, so I gave it about 3/4 turn down

With a properly set up die you should not be able to do this. The Carbide Pistol FL sizing die should be set so it just contacts the shell holder. To much contact can crack the carbide ring, not enough contact and the case does not get completely sized.

a factory loaded round I had was about .4700 to .471 max diameter at either end but the ones that would not fit in the chamber were .472 and slightly bigger

Were did they measure .472? Did you apply a tapper crimp? Your crimp should measure .469-.470, no more and no less. Not enough crimp and the round may not chamber, to much crimp and the round may not chamber.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:16:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:29:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2012 7:30:56 PM EDT by skunk-ape]

No, I do it all the time.

I was trying to pry out of you, weight, jacketed or lead, and bullet type/shape. RN, SWC, HP?

So jacketed RNFMJ, 230 grs?

What OAL are you using?

yes, FMJ, 230 gr

1.260 OAL is what these measured
I am just running a Lee 3 die set, they were already in the turrett when I got the thing

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:35:19 PM EDT
did you check OAL on the trouble rounds
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:40:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:42:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MTNmyMag:
did you check OAL on the trouble rounds

some were just a tad longer but some of the longer ones fit the chamber fine

in other words, I never found a pattern with the OAL but I did with the case diameter
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:44:29 PM EDT

No, I do it all the time.

I was trying to pry out of you, weight, jacketed or lead, and bullet type/shape. RN, SWC, HP?

So jacketed RNFMJ, 230 grs?

What OAL are you using?

yes, FMJ, 230 gr

1.260 OAL is what these measured
I am just running a Lee 3 die set, they were already in the turrett when I got the thing

I always seat and crimp in separate dies.

A challenge in a 3 hole press.

Maybe adjust seat/crimp die to seat only, run cases through press.

Then install FCD and crimp.
gosh, I messed up, I told you the 45s were in a Pro 1000, sorry, those are in my Loadmaster

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:57:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:25:15 PM EDT
Echoing previous posters, yours is a case mouth od issue. Case mouth od should be between .469 to .471.

I'll crimp in several configurations. What dryflash3 has suggested is the most common cure. Seat with crimp die and crimp with fcd. Another method is seat with your crimp die, backing off so that it seats only. Then thread an additional crimp die in next station for crimp. With this method I find it necessary to case gage every cartridge. Failure to pass gage for me runs 5% on a light crimp. I will run those back through crimp die generally without adjusting crimp die. This happens s using assorted brass.

I could fill a post with does, dont's and tips for you. Short and sweet version is you need calipers, case gage and additional die.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:16:57 AM EDT

Ok, a 4 holer, get a FCD.

Have you used one before?

Link to FCD.

never used one but it looks lke i need to

do I just install this as my last station after bullet seating?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:50:50 AM EDT

Link to FCD.

Yes, but make sure the crimp feature on your seating die is disabled. Set it to crimp the case mouth to .469-.470.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:03:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By steve4102:

Link to FCD.

Yes, but make sure the crimp feature on your seating die is disabled. Set it to crimp the case mouth to .469-.470.

ok, so use the die I have now just for seating the bullet, then use the FCD

I think I saw one of those at a local sports store the other day so I will try and pick one up pretty soon
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:44:52 PM EDT

Link to FCD.

Yes. It provides a final sizing treatment and the taper crimp. It's an excellent addition to any handgun reloading set-up.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:45:42 PM EDT
Also, like others have said: Make sure your sizing die is adjusted correctly.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:47:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:

I turned the sizing die down 3/4 and it did make a difference.

but I think I am still going to use the FCD also from now on

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:51:05 PM EDT
not enuff taper crimp
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:55:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By eddiesar15:
not enuff taper crimp

this is my guess. Screw the seating die in a little bit more
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:55:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:15:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:

I turned the sizing die down 3/4 and it did make a difference.

but I think I am still going to use the FCD also from now on

Sorry, but "3/4 of a turn" means little to us as we do not know how it was set up originally. The FL sizing die should make slight contact with the shell holder with the ram raised all the way up. To much contact can crack the carbide ring and to little will not size the case completely.

With the 3/4 turn is your sizing die now making slight contact with the shell holder? If not keep screwing it into the press until it does.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:46:14 AM EDT
There's only one way to set a taper crimp. Case mouth od and to do od, taper crimp right is by measurement. Either by calipers, case gage or barrel chamber. Doesn't much matter, for adjustment is done by measurement with calipers or gage .

Top Top