Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2008 11:10:55 AM EDT
I'm looking for a new to me surplus rifle. I'm trying to decide between an M1 Garand or M1 Carbine. I like them both for what they are but can't decide which to get next and no the usual ARF- "Get both!" will not work.  Other than detachable magazines and capacity for the carbine, is there a reason I should get one over the other?

My current surplus firearms: a 91/30 that I added a PU scope and bent bolt handle to, a unissued Yugo Mauser 98,Unissued Yugo SKS, non-import marked chinese SKS, Nagant revolver and Romy TT-33.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Ther is no right or wrong answer, you have to decide. Nothing like a high power Garand but hen plinking with a low recoil Carbine is fun to. Surplu ammo for the Garand is plentiful through CMP, only carbine ammo is commercial but cost is about the same for either. Good luck with your decision
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#2]
U.S. Rifle, Caliber .30, M1.  If you can't get both, that's the one to get.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Garand and Carbine are both U.S. Rifle, Caliber .30, M1
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 12:27:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Garand and Carbine are both U.S. Rifle, Caliber .30, M1

Carbine is U.S. Carbine, Caliber .30 M1.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 12:43:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Get the M1

Ok, the Carbine is one of the most fun rifles (sorry carbines) ever made.   Light weight, good sights, could even make a cecent HD gun if using soft point or HP ammo.

The Garand on the other hand, is the "finest battle implement ever designed".  You can also use the Garand to shoot in Service Rifle or John C. Garand matches at your local range.

If you are married, your wife will decide that the M1 Carbine is "hers" and you will have to buy the M1 rifle anyway.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#6]
M1 Garand.

The carbine is fun.

The Garand is a serious rifle......and it is fun.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I called my local shop that usually has 1 one or more of each in stock. They have nothing right now so I'll have to wait for a restock to check them out. Still kinda undecided.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 9:23:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well I called my local shop that usually has 1 one or more of each in stock. They have nothing right now so I'll have to wait for a restock to check them out. Still kinda undecided.

Wrong answer.  

The correct store always has them in stock.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Wrong answer.  

The correct store always has them in stock.

Exactly Right!  Why go anywhere else?

BTW, They have a choice of Garands, but if you want a Carbine you might want to get your order in pretty soon.  They have some, but not many, and the "available 2009" may well not happen under new "leadership" in D.C.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#10]
id go with the garand personally.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#11]
The Garand is a battle rifle, full size and long range.  The M1 Carbine is essentially, as defined by its mission, a shoulder-fired pistol.  The Carbine would be a good home defense tool, the Garand would be a battlefield contact gun.  There is a home defense perspective for that also, but in very few situations.  The carbine could be used for deer in small spaces at shorter ranges, and the Garand could be used to shoot deer out in the open at 350 yards.  Carbines have larger magazine capacity.  I know there is suplus '06 ammo at affordable prices.  Dunno about carbine ammo.

ETA: the carbine hurts a hell of a lot less and doesn't go "ping" :)
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#12]
i love both rifles but if i to decide which one, i would choose the m1 garand
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 8:05:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Other then collecting, I don't see the point of owning a M1 carbine.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd check ODCMP rules if you're interested in competing.  I believe Service Rifle is limited to M16A2 (or havng bolt on carry handle) and M4 or M4A1 at this time.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#15]
They both cost nearly the same these days.  Get the Garand.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2008 2:33:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'd check ODCMP rules if you're interested in competing.  I believe Service Rifle is limited to M16A2 (or havng bolt on carry handle) and M4 or M4A1 at this time.

Ther are matches for both Garand and the carbine
Link Posted: 11/2/2008 4:50:18 AM EDT
[#17]
It's like cake, some like chocolate and others like vanilla. So if you like chocolate get the Garand and if you like vanilla get the carbine.

Okay, bad analogy. Get the Garand first and in a couple years if you have some more cash get the carbine. But I would definitely get the Garand first.
Link Posted: 11/2/2008 5:03:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Get the Garand first along with a good supply of 30/06 ammo. If you need both, CMP is the only way to go as ammo is quite reasonably priced.

About the only ammo available for the carbine right now is new production which runs around $18.00 a box.

Get the best grade you can afford to buy.
Link Posted: 11/4/2008 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Owning both, and loving to shoot my Carbine over my Garand (and about any of my rifles) if I had to buy one, it would be the Garand. The 30-06 is an all round great cartridge. Long range, plinking, hunting. You name it. The 30 Carbine has its limits.

With that being said. Save up and get carbine if you can. Its a blast to shoot, fast handling, low recoil, and has its role in home defense. Its my wifes dedicated HD rifle with the Corbon DPX round. As much as Ive tried to get her over to a AR, she likes the Carbine and shoots it well. What else can you ask for.
Link Posted: 11/5/2008 12:55:03 AM EDT
[#20]
I have both.  I love to shoot both.  If I had to choose one over the other it would be the Garand that stays.
Link Posted: 11/5/2008 6:27:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I would go for an M1 Garand first.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:24:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Do you envision using one or the other for something besides plinking or displaying? Uses like hunting or home defense or a New Orleans style disaster. For civil disorder, in a pinch you could break in that unfired SKS for the short/intermediate range stuff and you have the higher powered rifles for longer range work. I'd go with the Garand and stock up on the .25/rd ammo from CMP. The M1 Carbine is a fun gun and should be a good defense gun with good expanding bullets, not to mention it's pretty handy/light.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:47:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Rough choice but if I was in the same spot I would have to give a slight preference to the Garand.
It is genuine history, the carbine is a hella fun but watching Band of Brothers in better with a Garand in your lap.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 10:56:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Seeing as how you live in Illinois my suggestion would be to get the Carbine. It is more "assault weapon" like and out of the two it would be banned first.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top