Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2013 3:42:11 AM EDT
Hey, how are we doing.  I have to say is, when I give up looking for something, I tend to find it. This applies to how I found my M1A.  After newtown, the increased prices and the proposed revised AWB in CT, had me thinking the dream was over.  So much, I started gather parts to build two more AR15s, a 5.56 dissipator and a 300BLK rifle along with a spare lower and parts.  All I need is a 300blk barrel and two BCGs.  I really wanted something in 30 cal, and with all the talk about revised/renewed bans, the 300BLK would have allowed me to use my large stash of AR magazines.

Then my friend found an estate sale.  He had forgotten about my desire for an M1A and a DMR rifle.  He mentioned the sale and I had to ask.  Sure enough, then only rifle not spoken for was a SOCOM II extend rail that was barely used.  So he is picking it up and I'm doing layway with him until I sell off some of the AR15 parts I gathered and my tax return arrives.

The Socom wasn't exactly what I'm looking for.  I was hoping to buy a polytech this year, but events ruined that.  The cost vs preban status wasn't that important in a M1A platform as with an AR15 in my state.  Pretty much this begger isn't complaining.  Own a M1A is better then not owning one.

I'm curious about this rifle.  Its a tad short to be a DMR rifle.  How much range is really lost on the 16in barrel?  What is considered improvements for the Socoms.  I've read they are very loud, so I was looking at the SEI flash suppressor/gas block as my first upgrade.

I've also been reading up on magazines.  My friend gave me a 3 CMI 20rds and a 5 Rd M14 magazines he acquired after his platoon relieved a special forces unit in Iraq.  He had alot of fun using the left overs from the SF unit.  I've been looking to add a few more 20rd magazines.  I'm pretty this rifle is only coming with 10rd magazines since it was sold in MA.

Later
James
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 4:39:33 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.scribd.com/doc/51062416/FM-23-8-M14     copy of the GI manual for M14's.  Your M1A is basically a semi auto M14.

I use marine grade wheel bearing grease on mine for the grease lubrication points and Mobil 1 for the parts needing oil for lubrication/preswervation.

I like the GI web belt and GI M14 magazine pouches (what I used in the army many years ago).

My only spares (never used yet) are a firing pin, extractor, spring/detent for the extractor and the ejector with spring.  I need to buy a couple of operating springs but just never seem to get that done.

Link Posted: 1/12/2013 5:16:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Good info.  Keep it coming

Later
james
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 5:56:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm curious about this rifle.  Its a tad short to be a DMR rifle.  How much range is really lost on the 16in barrel?  What is considered improvements for the Socoms.  I've read they are very loud, so I was looking at the SEI flash suppressor/gas block as my first upgrade.

I've also been reading up on magazines.  My friend gave me a 3 CMI 20rds and a 5 Rd M14 magazines he acquired after his platoon relieved a special forces unit in Iraq.  He had alot of fun using the left overs from the SF unit.  I've been looking to add a few more 20rd magazines.  I'm pretty this rifle is only coming with 10rd magazines since it was sold in MA.

Later
James

James, your Socom has a 16.25" barrel with a 1:11 ROT. With practice and after you find the ammo/load that works best you should be able to reach beyond 500 yards effectively. Even though the factory comp is effective, the complete SOCOM kit from SEI is and excellent upgrade. CMI, Norinco, Poly Tech and vintage USGI mags are good to go... LRB has CMI 20s on sale right now.

This is my hybrid CQB-16 type SEI

Link Posted: 1/12/2013 8:02:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Personally I wouldn't want an M14 shorter than 18 inches.  Of course I'm not kicking in doors either.

If you really don't like the blast after you try it out, you could probably trade up with another M1a owner even up for a longer barreled version.  That'd be much cheaper and easier than changing the barrel out.  You already bought in at one price, now you can just shift around a bit.

Post a WTT ad for FTF in CT or neighboring state.
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I tried to order from LRB this morning.  I didn't see any other way of ordering other then the phone.  Now they are sold out.

I'm getting worried right now.  My friend was hinting at trouble this morning with this estate sale and the new FFL.  The FFL already just to uncut everybodies deal, who knows how the FFL will act once he actually starts doing the transfers.

later
James
Quoted:
CMI, Norinco, Poly Tech and vintage USGI mags are good to go... LRB has CMI 20s on sale right now.

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 3:37:33 AM EDT
[#6]
The rifle is a done deal.  After alot estate and shop owner drama he walked out with a score.  He got my M1A for 1600 bucks.  What I get is the rifle, 4 preban 20rd magazines and one 10rd magazine.  

He bought all the estates 308, 223 and 7.62x39 ammo.  He quickly sold off the 223 and 7.62x39.  He offered me the chance to split the 1400rds of 308. I'll probably do that because it would be less then 150 for 700rds.  He even picked up an awesome deal on a nice pistol.

I'm pretty happy and can't wait to handle this rifle.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:56:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I was able to find the M1A manual for download from Springfield's site.  They also don't charge for paper manuals.  I ordered what I thought was one, but my order when through with 2.

later
James
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Go to 44Mag.com and get on the email notification for the CMI mags.   They had some earlier today, but are now out.

Learn to clean the rifle without disassembly.  Get a pull through cleaning kit for the bore, a chamber brush, and a brass toothbrush for the bolt face.  That will clean about everything that needs it short of the gas piston.  

Go to youtube and watch the videos posted by TonyBen.  Good info on disassembly and lubrication, as well as the tilt test.

Limit you ammo to weights between 150 and 168 grains, and never fire anything that is labeled as "Light Magnum" through a M1A.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Great post,  +1 to all of it.

Quoted:
Go to 44Mag.com and get on the email notification for the CMI mags.   They had some earlier today, but are now out.

Learn to clean the rifle without disassembly.  Get a pull through cleaning kit for the bore, a chamber brush, and a brass toothbrush for the bolt face.  That will clean about everything that needs it short of the gas piston.  

Go to youtube and watch the videos posted by TonyBen.  Good info on disassembly and lubrication, as well as the tilt test.

Limit you ammo to weights between 150 and 168 grains, and never fire anything that is labeled as "Light Magnum" through a M1A.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

A pull through cleaning kit is much better than using a vine in the jungle, but not by much.
A USGI chamber brush needs a section of cleaning rod, or drill bit, or screwdriver, or ...
Save your discarded bathroom toothbrushes for cleaning the bolt face, flash suppressor tynes, lug rails, and anything else that gets carbon or dirt on it or in it. The nylon fibers are up to the task. A brass brush is overkill and will leave brass marks on your rifle.
The USGI M14 Rifle was designed for 150 gr Ball ammo. The National Match version had the same chamber and twist and used 173 gr ammo that was designed for it. Stay at 180 gr or less. The current M14 M118LR ammo has the 175 gr Sierra Matchking bullet.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:58:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

A pull through cleaning kit is much better than using a vine in the jungle, but not by much.
A USGI chamber brush needs a section of cleaning rod, or drill bit, or screwdriver, or ...
Save your discarded bathroom toothbrushes for cleaning the bolt face, flash suppressor tynes, lug rails, and anything else that gets carbon or dirt on it or in it. The nylon fibers are up to the task. A brass brush is overkill and will leave brass marks on your rifle.
The USGI M14 Rifle was designed for 150 gr Ball ammo. The National Match version had the same chamber and twist and used 173 gr ammo that was designed for it. Stay at 180 gr or less. The current M14 M118LR ammo has the 175 gr Sierra Matchking bullet.

My reason for using a brass brush on the bolt face was due to shooting surplus ammo that had a sealant on the primer.  I would get a blue gunk on the bolt face that needed a little extra oomph to get off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top