Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2006 4:30:10 PM EDT
I'm new to the whole NV world and I have a few questions.

My situation is kind of a post Katrina type of deal. Right after Katrina passed through, we were without power in my mom's subdivision for roughly about 10 days. Total darkness to some light depending on the moon, stars and clouds. At first I was thinking an Eotech with NV goggles so during the day I could just use the Eotech alone. But I also have seen some really nice scopes and figured I would ask and get other's imput about my situation before I purchase.

I'm looking to spend about $2,000.00 on NV in the next 2 months and would like some advise on what would be good under the conditions listed below.

1) Urban
2) Total darkness to little light
3) Will not blind me when muzzle flashes(I pray it doesn't go to letting off rounds)
4) Ranges from 20 yards out to 150 yards
5) 2 grand or under

Thanks, Wesley

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:13:32 AM EDT
[#1]
  Assuming you’re talking about a self defense situation after a natural disaster (govt help and services days to weeks away), and your planning to stay put. I think a 1x NVD and the EoTech is the way to go. The FOV on the 1x will be pretty big, allowing you to see more at a glance, and the goggle works great for hand-held operation. After all, you’ll be spending the majority of your time observing, not engaged in a fire fight. You are planning to avoid the fight if possible aren’t you?
  You can go from hand-held to weapons mount in a very short time with a little practice.
  You mentioned ranges of 20-150 yards. A 1x device should work fine for those ranges. For initiating action, I would assume the ranges to be very close, possibly inside the 20 yards mentioned. At those ranges, magnification is a disadvantage and could get you dead.
  Add an IR illuminator to your list, just be sure to get one that has little visible light signature and preferably a tape switch. Use sparingly, no sense in advertising your location at night…
  Gen 3 would be nice, but with the cost constraint, I think Gen 2 would work for your purposes. Personally, if I thought my life was going to depend on it, I would stay away from Gen 1 & 2. You mentioned “total darkness” (I’m assuming outdoors) and in that situation, Gen 3 certainly has the edge.
  Get a good flash suppressor, and of course keep spare batteries on hand.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:10:39 AM EDT
[#2]
That is alot of good information, but could you recommend specific brands/combo kits?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Ive got a PVS 14 just recently from Victor that I am pairing with an Eotech.  Id agree TX Rancher and say that setup would be ideal for your stated needs.  You could probably get by with a Gen 2, but Ive never used one so I cant say for sure.  The adjustable gain on the PVS 14 really allows you to maximize usage of the device.  Even when there are streetlights on, youll be able to use it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:59:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top