Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/27/2010 5:29:48 PM EDT
Got a stuck .308 case in my lee die. Tried to remove the case per LEE instructions. Broke a 3/16 drift punch and the case is still in there. There is not one reason why it should be this hard to remove a stuck case. My Dillon dies are stupid easy to remove stuck cases from .223, and I imagine it will be the same for .308. No hammer, or punch should be necessary to remove a stuck case. That is all.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 5:31:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never gotten a .308 case stuck in my lee dies, and they were used freebies...
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Ill admit that one case snuck buy me that I did not lube, but holy crap It should not be this hard to remove a case. I'm out of ideas on how to remove it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ill admit that one case snuck buy me that I did not lube, but holy crap It should not be this hard to remove a case. I'm out of ideas on how to remove it.

Imperial sizing wax.

Haven't stuck a case since I started using it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Im using Dillon case lube and it works excellent. These dies have just given me hell unless the cases are well lubed, the one that got past me has pretty much brought my reloading to a stop till I can get better dies, or the stuck case out, which I don't see happening.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Imperial sizing wax.

Haven't stuck a case since I started using it.

This. I have stuck cases in my lee dies (although not since switching to imperial Sizing Wax), and once I couldn't remove it. Lee is great about replacing the collars and the decapping/neck expanding pins even when its obviously the user's fault....every check I've sent in for replacement has come back with shiny new parts. I did one time get a case stuck so bad I couldn't get it out, and sent the whole shebang to Lee. They got it out for me and gave me a nice little hand-written note someone drew a diagram on explaining what the problem was.

Send it to Lee, see what they can do for you.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 6:24:11 PM EDT
[#6]
First let me back up what others are saying about Imperial. I didn't used to use it because a four shot attack of one shot was always good enough..... until ...... I ran into a batch of 5.56 that had been fired through an AK-102. 1 stuck case later and the one shot is out, and that goes for any spray on lube. It's Imperial from now on.

That said, to each his own. I'm simply reflecting my experience. What to do with a stuck case in a LEE die. Unthread the decapper pin retaining nut and remove with decapping pin. This next part you need to take with a grain of salt. I do a LOT of mechanics on my own heavy equipment so I own a lot of quality tools. Snap On. Get a bigger punch, one made of real tool steel and slap that case out with a Good sized hammer.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 6:29:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Tap and die set, you know the rest
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Well, you could buy a Stuck Case Remover. I have the Redding Stuck Case Removal Tool(s).  I got a few stuck cases before I started using Imperial Sizing Wax.
There's nothing wrong with Lee dies.

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Put a butane torch on the die body.  Play the flame around so nothing burns on gets too soft.  Then spray the brass with one of those compressed air tanks for blowing off electronic equipment until frost forms.  Brass will fall right out.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, you could buy a Stuck Case Remover. I have the Redding Stuck Case Removal Tool(s).  I got a few stuck cases before I started using Imperial Sizing Wax.
There's nothing wrong with Lee dies.

Or Instead of getting yet another tool to remove stuck cases I could drop the extra coin on Dillon dies which makes it extremely easy to remove stuck cases

ETA: Well I finally got it out after soaking it in Kroil while I went on a rampage bitching about the dies lol. I will agree there is nothing wrong with LEE dies I just really wish they would have made it easier to remove stuck cases. I mean I know it really is not that hard to have there engineers design something similar to the Dillon setup. FWIW I did use a real tool steel American made punch set and still broke my punch.

Despite my bitching I will continue to use the dies, I will just make sure I lube the hell out of the cases. I will also be ordering some Imperial wax and give that a try. Im off to make some hand loads
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, definitely get the Imperial Sizing Wax. It's all I use.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#12]
It's not the dies.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:33:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Send the die back to Lee.  They will give you a brand new die free of charge.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's not the dies.

Have to agree with this.  I've been using only lee dies for quite a while now and haven't had any problems with stuck case removal.  Please recognize that you did let a case sneak by you so it's not exactly the dies fault.  

I also echo the methods described in this thread.  One of them should get the die out.

ETA:  Ignore me, I just saw your edit.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 6:10:08 AM EDT
[#15]
It's not the dies
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 7:22:39 AM EDT
[#16]
If you are so sloppy reloading that you forget to lube brass before sizing, it might be a good idea to invest the $35.00 or so for a new set of Lee carbide dies which will not require any messy lube for you to forget to use.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 8:02:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Meh, every one sticks a case. I've done it several times.

I've done it in Lyman and RCBS, but not  (yet) in a Lee.

Just buy a stuck case remover or a drill. tap. bolt, and socket to make your own.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you are so sloppy reloading that you forget to lube brass before sizing, it might be a good idea to invest the $35.00 or so for a new set of Lee carbide dies which will not require any messy lube for you to forget to use.

Well if you would have read the post you would have seen that the only thing I was pissed about was how you had to go about removing a stuck case in the lee dies. Could lee have done a similar design to Dillons dies so that you just tread down the decapper to get the case out, absolutely. Did they, absolutely not. Instead you have to take a punch and a hammer and beat the shit out of it till your stuck case comes out.

Lee are good dies I just think they have room for improvement. I will agree that its my fault in the first place for getting the case stuck, but I would prefer not wasting half my night reloading beating the hell out of the die so I can use it again. Hopefully some day I will be just like you and never make a mistake reloading, now if you will excuse me I have to go sloppily reload some more rounds
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 8:25:02 AM EDT
[#19]
1/4 -20 allen head bolt,

#7 drill bit,

1/4 - 20 tap,
small socket that will sit on the edge of the die opening,

couple washers to sit on top of the socket with a 1/4 opening for the bolt.
or go spend $14?? on a RCBS stuck case removal kit.  
and if you want a die like Dillion has, I'm sure Lee could build it.   But then it would cost as much as a Dillion set.  Which likely why you didn't buy the Dillon set in the first place....
Quality always cost less in the long run.
That and lubing the case.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#20]
I have stuck a few cases in lee dies and it has been easy to remove them, here is my system..
1. remove nut holding decaping pin
2. strike decaping pin hard with hammer while die is still in press cartridge should fall out.
3.take metal file and remove mushroom from decaping pin
4.reinstall decaping pin
5.grip base of cartridge with side cutters (electricians pliers) strike cutters with hammer to remove cartridge...

I have run a case without lube before and using a punch just didn't put enough force on decapper, so just whack it with the hammer, it will come out!!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I just got a tin of imperial sizing wax.  how do I apply it?  do I really have to wipe it on each case individually?
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just got a tin of imperial sizing wax.  how do I apply it?  do I really have to wipe it on each case individually?

With your index and middle fingers, take a swipe across the surface, then rub the case neck and shoulders, with just a little inside the case neck.

Size the case.

Repeat.

You may be able to get away with only doing this every other case...
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 2:26:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Dies referenced are 308 not handgun.

Link Posted: 2/28/2010 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

LEE doesn't make carbide dies in 308, and if they did, they would certainly be more than $35 (or maybe not knowing LEE
)

Dillon does make carbide 308 dies, AND you still need to use lube with them.

Link Posted: 2/28/2010 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Most of my dies are Lee. They are as good as the others for routine reloading (excepting some specialty dies) and they don't cost an arm and a leg. Yes, I have had a stuck case or two but it was always my fault (improper lubing). It was never that big of a deal to clear them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 5:39:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Lee doesn't make carbide rifle dies that I'm aware of, and every manufacturer that does STILL recommends lube. ".308" was the fourth word in the original post........
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 4:32:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Your problem wasn't the die but Lee dies do suck so carry on.

How is it that they suck? Please enlighten us oh wise one.
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 5:00:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I commend you for honesty in admitting an unlubed case slip thru your loading process. Admitting ones faults is the first step in any reconciliation.

I know that I would admit my faults if I had any.

Link Posted: 3/1/2010 11:02:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your problem wasn't the die but Lee dies do suck so carry on.

How is it that they suck? Please enlighten us oh wise one.

Where do I start? 25 years of reloading and everytime I have to use a Lee die Set its a let down. Customer service, the quality of the dies themselves and what I get as a result of using Lee dies are are all inferior to RCBS, Redding and even Hornady IMO. There is a reason I have a another manufacturer die set for every Lee set I have. Its a reminder- I bought Lee because I could not get a better die at the time or location, I was disappointed, I had to repurchase the same caliber die set from another company. I do not own a duplicate die set for anything other than Lee dies.  

Look at several others on this post- its not just me. I'm sure people have some success with Lee or they would be out of business by now- my experiences with them have been poor.  

Maybe you are just unlucky.

I know there are far more people out there that have good luck rather than bad with Lee dies. You have really said nothing about what is bad with them or what trouble you have had with them.

I use almost all brands of dies. I can say with absolute certainty that I have had far more trouble with RCBS dies being flat out, out of spec in the last 18 months than any other brand I buy. I have purchased 5 times more Lee dies in this time frame and have had a total of zero problems with Lee dies. Maybe I am the one guy that keeps them in business.
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 12:51:59 PM EDT
[#32]
My guess is that Karma used to work for LEE and got caught smoking a joint in the bathroom...  LEE has outstanding dies and great customer service.  I just wish I would have tried them before filling my cabinet with RCBS...
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 4:30:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#34]
LEE is crap

You get what you pay for.

I've seen a lot of complaints from their 50 Beowulf and 458 Socom dies. I have the 357 FCD and it's garbage. Their presses are never highly regarded. When was the last time you heard someone ask which press is better LEE or Dillon?
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 8:33:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
LEE is crap

You get what you pay for.

I've seen a lot of complaints from their 50 Beowulf and 458 Socom dies. I have the 357 FCD and it's garbage. Their presses are never highly regarded. When was the last time you heard someone ask which press is better LEE or Dillon?

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 5:24:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Good God man!  So many of you talk smack about Lee, but as a few have mentioned..."you get what you pay for".  I competetively shoot Hi-power and do not use Lee dies for that sport (Redding and RCBS)....however, I wouldn't hesitate to use Lee dies for that purpose.  I plink the living sh*$ out of pistol and use Lee dies exclusively for multiple pistol calibers.  Not a single problem...ever.  I love them.  Best bang for the buck out there.  I use the Lee hand priming tool almost exclusively on all match ammo because quite frankly, they got that product spot-on...short throw and perfect "feel".  All other manufacturers "suck it" in the priming department and cost twice the $.  Lee's "powder-thru-expander die" has been a sweet design since it's conception and all other manufacturer's followed suit...and now pay royalties to Lee for it.  Talk all the smack you want about Lee but I still hold them "near and dear" for what they provide to us reloaders!!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
1/4 -20 allen head bolt,
#7 drill bit,
1/4 - 20 tap,
small socket that will sit on the edge of the die opening,
couple washers to sit on top of the socket with a 1/4 opening for the bolt.

or go spend $14?? on a RCBS stuck case removal kit.  
and if you want a die like Dillion has, I'm sure Lee could build it.   But then it would cost as much as a Dillion set.  Which likely why you didn't buy the Dillon set in the first place....
Quality always cost less in the long run.

That and lubing the case.

Same idea but I add one 1/4-20 nut to the items list

Drill and tap the end of the case 1/4-20

Put the nut on the cap screw, add the washer and thread it down into the case thru the socket.

Hold the cap screw in place with an allen wrench and use the 7/16" wrench to draw the case straight out.  Brass is extremely soft  and the bolt turning may lessen holding power and strip out the threads.

I REFUSE to beat the crap out of my dies when it is simpler to draw it out with a bolt.

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Send it into lee, They charge a very minimal price to remove it for you . But in the 25 years i have relaoded, Stuck cases was almost always caused by me .either i didnt lube it or was in too much of a hurry and ramming it through . Before you go banging stell rods or screwdrivers scratching the walls up contact Lee and the will hook you up. I have sent them several dies that i rammed cases into and turnaround was a week .Imperial wax as others have said is a blessing for sure.

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 3:03:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yes, definitely get the Imperial Sizing Wax. It's all I use.

This and never look back

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 4:27:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Let me get this right; Lee dies suck because if you don't lube cases, they get stuck? Dillon is the shit because you don't need to expent any thought or effort when reloading?
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#41]
I used the decapping pin to pound out a stuck 223 case ...........
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#42]
What the Hell is Imperial Sizing wax and where do you get it?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:34:10 AM EDT
[#43]
I have all LEE stuff except one set of RCBS in 44 magnum that my wife found at a yard sale. (I guess someone was replacing it with a set of LEE die )
As for quality they are great!! As being better than any other, I don't know. I have been loading for over 20+ years and I still have all my original eqipment including presses. And, I do load a lot!!!! I had to buy another safe to just keep my ammo in as I like to reload as much as I like to shoot. There's nothing like staring at a pile of nice shiny clean brass that has just come out of the tumbler.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:38:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What the Hell is Imperial Sizing wax and where do you get it?

http://www.redding-reloading.com/online-catalog/79-imperial-lubricants
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The way I normally apply Imperial wax is this. I use a Magic Eraser sponge, mostly because it is a very fine sponge with very small cells. I take the sponge and wipe it across the tin of Imperial wax to coat the Magic Eraser evenly on one side. After that I just roll the cases aross the sponge right before sizing. It isn't messy at all and only puts a small amount of lube on the case. I rarely have cases get stuck using this method and generally it is my fault when they do like forgetting to lube a case like th OP.

Another benefit of using the Magic Eraser is that it seems as though the wax lasts longer. I have a Magic Eraser right now that easily has a couple hundred cases on the first "loading" of wax. I use it then put it away but whenever a case is rolled across the sponge again the wax softens up just like the day I "loaded" it. I think the small cells of the Magic Eraser sponge has a lot to do with how well it works.

Dolomite
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Let me get this right; Lee dies suck because if you don't lube cases, they get stuck? Dillon is the shit because you don't need to expent any thought or effort when reloading?

If you would have read the entire thread you would have seen that I was pissed cause Lee makes it extremely difficult to remove stuck cases. Should it be that hard? Should I have to use a hammer and a punch to remove it? Everyone gets stuck cases, and I in no way said it was not my fault that the case got stuck.

It is not really an argument that the Dillon dies are better than Lee.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you would have read the entire thread you would have seen that I was pissed cause Lee makes it extremely difficult to remove stuck cases. Should it be that hard? Should I have to use a hammer and a punch to remove it? Everyone gets stuck cases, and I in no way said it was not my fault that the case got stuck.

Just got finished sizing 100 cases in my Lee dies, no problemo.

Just messin dude, I understand, shit happens.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

First, just because something says Dillon on it does not make it better than Lee or any other product.

You said it is "stupid easy" to remove a 223 stuck case from a Dillon 223 die. Have you gotten a case stuck in a Dillon 223 die? Was is easy to remove? Was it a steel, or carbide die?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:04:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

First, just because something says Dillon on it does not make it better than Lee or any other product.

You said it is "stupid easy" to remove a 223 stuck case from a Dillon 223 die. Have you gotten a case stuck in a Dillon 223 die? Was is easy to remove? Was it a steel, or carbide die?

I have had a few of them including ones where I actually pull off the bottom of the case. It was a regular Dillon die not carbide, and all it took was to remove a clip and tread down the decapper. The die stayed in the press and I was done in about 2 min tops. That is why I was so surprised when I found the hoops I had to jump through to get a stuck case out of the Lee. It took 2hrs+ soaked in kroil and beating the living hell out of the decapper to get it out. Then I had to sand the top of the decapper cause of the rolled metal in order to get it back in the die.

And we can agree to disagree but  Dillon puts out a far superior product than Lee on just about everything they sell. Lee is cheap and gets the job done, and no doubt has good C.S and will last for years, but Dillon is on top IMHO. Maybe I am just drinking too much blue Kool-aid
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#50]
I have to add this, not that it matters in this case. I currently use RCBS dies. I have on several occasions while working on a batch of ammo (usually in groups of 50-single stage) found the need to toss a case here and there, for whatever reason.I grab another of the same year/make and size it, no lube. It goes right through, smooth as the last, but then again I use PAM for case lube on .223  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top