Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2002 9:55:42 AM EDT
The other day a fellow shooting sports enthusiast posted his opinion that: It's not a matter of IF Wolf ammo will bite you, it's a matter of WHEN.  I think that a lot of people simply parrot what they hear about a product without actually testing it themselves.  

Most posts about Wolf read something like this:  "Well, MILITIABORNKILLER2595 said that Wolf sucks... so... if you use it you will die!"

I believe in the scientific method, so I take anti-Wolf diatribes as a bit of a challenge.  

I've been shooting Wolf for a few years now and I haven't experienced all of the doom and gloom that some ascribe to this cheap blasting fodder.  

Sure, I've noticed that it is dirty.  In comparison to UMC, surplus and my match ammo it is a bit underpowered.  And I will concede that I do not cycle Wolf through my match rifle.

However, I consider Wolf to be just as safe as any other mass produced ammo on the shelf.  That being said, I tend to run a lot of it through my beater rifle.  

My current beater rifle is a post-ban Bushmaster with a neutered FN 1X7 government contour chrome lined A2 barrel with a Cav Comp permanently attached to the end.  Oh yeah, I also switched out the Bushmaster plastic trigger guard for a USGI one and I likewise added the current USGI sling.  It's about the closest thing to an M16A2 that a civilian can own in a post-ban configuration.  Also, I must mention that it has been used and abused.  That is to say that I treat it with about the same amount of TLC as I treated my M16A1 when I was PFC "Snuffy" Smith.  It's cleaned exclusively with carb cleaner and breakfree.  I use the USGI cleaning kit with with steel sectional rod to punch the bore.  And it frequently gets wet... real wet.  Needless to say, I do things to this weapon that I wouldn't dream of doing to my other AR's.

Today I picked up a new case of Wolf ammo at the Exchange Annex and I headed to the range.  Within the course of 40 minutes I cycled  250 rounds of Wolf through my beater without a hitch!  No failure to feed, failures to extract, broken extractors, kB's etc.  However, I do have one DIRTY weapon!  It's now soaking in the parts cleaner after being sprayed with carb cleaner!

So, fellow hoplophyles, post your experiences (good or bad) with Wolf 5.56mm.  

-PINGi3

P.S.  I'm betting that a lot of bad experiences have to do with .223 chromemoly chambers.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

MILITIABORNKILLER2595 said that Wolf sucks... so... if you use it you will die!"

Damn, that's my name over on assweb.com and I never said that !
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I ran a case of Wolf 62gr through my M4gery.  Other than some (4-5 rounds out of the entire case) failures to fire and it being dirty I had no issue.  Note that about half of the case was fired in a 3 hour period so there were times where the rifle was getting REALLY hot, and it just kept chugging along.

The real bummer of the ammo was it didn't do what I was hoping.  I was looking for some cheap ammo that would be more accurate at 500M targets (for our 'tactical rifle' competitions).  The Wolf 62gr performed no better than 55gr M193 (and 55gr is really not a 500m loading).

But now with Cheap SA M193 clone available I don't bother.  For a few bucks more I get brass cases, cleaner ammo, and full M193 velocity.

Edited to add: Oh Yeah the rifle is a post ban BM with a chrome lined M4/AK barrel built back in early 1999.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, guess it is my turn to throw my $0.02 in here.

I have used Wolf ammo in various rifles and handguns and have NEVER had so much as a hiccup.  There is one caveat, though: I only use Wolf or any other steel-case ammo in guns that by their design are meant to use is.

What does this mean: I shoot a metric crapload of Wolf through AK, SKS, Makarovs, Moisin-Nagants, etc.  Do I shoot Wolf in my .308 match rifle? No.  In my custom 1911? nope.  In an old Tokarev? You betcha.

Expensive finicky gun = good ammo
Inexpensive Com Bloc gun = lotsa cheap Wolf ammo

Link Posted: 7/26/2002 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#4]
The only ammo I put through my AK is Wolf (or some equally cheesy Russian ammo).  I've never had a problem with it.

I'm with cyoung, though.  I only put it through the AK because that's the stuff it was intended to eat.  I don't use it in my AR, Glocks, or 1911s.

Link Posted: 7/26/2002 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Just bought 1000 rounds of Wolf 7.62x39 for the AK. ($75. delivered!)
The ARs get SA surp for fun and XM193 for fancy.
Different strokes for different folks...
Wish I could get .223 for what the Wolf costs though!!

Link Posted: 7/26/2002 5:33:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I think you know where I stand on the issue
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 8:12:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I mainly shoot S. African, Malasian or Norinco in my Colt pre-ban AR15 Govt, Carbine. -- Out of my 7 ARs I shoot this one the most(just plinking at 100 yds or less). -- This rifle had over 5000 rds thru it with no problems. -- I have seen the posts, both pro & con about .223 Rem. WOLF ammo and decided to try 3 boxes of it in this rifle ONLY. -- It worked Great, shot all 3 boxes then switched back to S African. -- Next gun show I bought a case of 55gr Wolf .223 Rem. FMJ for $100.00 per 1000. -- Took the Colt and 300 rds of wolf to the range and shot all 300 with no problems,(20 rd mags, slow fire, cooling time after each mag fired). ---NOW!! when I switched back to S African and Norinco ammo, on average every 4th rd FTE with the extractor pulling a chunk out of the case rim. -- When I got home and cleaned the rifle, I noticed the chamber looked cloudy and would not shine up like normal.  It took a brass brush soaked in GI bore cleaner on a chordless drill to polish it back to normal. -- Next range trip I used S African only, with no problems. -- I have never had a problem with 9mm WOLF in my OLY upper or my high point carb. -- I will use up the remaining .223 WOLF in this rifle, then polish out the chamber. -- I'll never buy any more in .223, but will use it in 9mm. -- I am not knocking WOLF ammo, I'm just saying what I learned with this 1 rifle and NO I will not try it in my other ones for a cross referance. -- This is all I know about that, Good Shooting -- ALLONS11
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:24:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I've done about 5000 rounds though various AR's without an ammo related failure so far. Good plinking ammo, not my SHTF ammo though ...

I've been trying the .45 and 9mm in my 1911A1 and 92FS with good results so far.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:53:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought 1400 rds of Wolf 62gr. for $109 at my local gun shop.. My Ar loves the stuff but one time it did hiccup and a bullet got stuck in the chamber so I pulled the mag out.. slammed the bolt forward tapped the forward assist the pulled the trigger... BANG! and the catridge came out.. let the AR cool for a few min(while I took a piss break and smoked a cig) and shot a few more hundred rounds..
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 11:16:58 PM EDT
[#10]
The only thing that I can say about Wolf 223 ammo is that buddy dropped one on his lawn and it sat there for a year.
We found it and I used my dremil tool to remove the THIN/FINE surface rust.
I put it in my AR and it shoot perfectly, all dry ammo and accurately, afdter sitting in the elements for a year!!!!!

BISHOP
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 8:03:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm on my third 1000 round case with no problems...
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 8:41:14 AM EDT
[#12]
So the lacquer coat ammo problems that once the chamber in the rifles gets hot, it is melting the lacquer off of the casings, and leaving a gelatinous goo in your chamber is BS? hock.gif
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 11:40:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Juntau, after you shoot it, you will find specs of that red lacquer in the chamber, feed ramp, near the firing pin, etc but it doesn't seem to be a problem for rifles with loose tolerances (a la AKs).  Now is it a problem for rifles with tighter tolerances like ARs?  I don't really know first hand.  I don't shoot it in my AR or any of my pistols.  Lot's of opinions out there on this.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I like your flag!
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 2:05:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I dumped @$$loads of Wolf thru my SAR-1 AK, not one jam.
I use other ammo thru my AR-15s such as the South African, Federal LC XM193, American Eagle and Guatemalan.
Hey, I use a USGI cleaning kit too, works fine for me.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Juntau, after you shoot it, you will find specs of that red lacquer in the chamber, feed ramp, near the firing pin, etc but it doesn't seem to be a problem for rifles with loose tolerances (a la AKs).  Now is it a problem for rifles with tighter tolerances like ARs?  I don't really know first hand.  I don't shoot it in my AR or any of my pistols.  Lot's of opinions out there on this.

The red chips are actually the sealant, not the lacquer.

See our recent test of Wolf- which doesn't say anything about reliability, but is interesting nonetheless.

Link Posted: 7/28/2002 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Wolf bite me once.

http://members.aol.com/chips47119/AK.html
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Wolf bite me once.

members.aol.com/chips47119/AK.html

It seems that the problem was the gun firing out of battery.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like your flag!

It looks familiar doesn't it
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 6:01:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Man I"ve shot a shit load of Wolf ammo. Never one DUD. Yea it doesn't have that pleasant aroma, actually smells like shit. I am waiting for them to make it 7.62x51!!
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Man I"ve shot a shit load of Wolf ammo. Never one DUD. Yea it doesn't have that pleasant aroma, actually smells like shit. I am waiting for them to make it 7.62x51!!

They do already.

www.ssiintl.com/Rifle.htm
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 6:38:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't see 7.62 x 51 listed there.

Link Posted: 7/28/2002 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#24]
My AR never had a problem with 2000 rounds of Wolf .223.

The worst incident I ever had with ammo was a case seperation during extraction of Gold/Green Remington in my .308 Enfield.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#26]
i want it in 7.62x25 so i can finnaly get around to getting a tokerav i just want something other then S&B for ammo.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:12:10 AM EDT
[#27]
i tries Wolf for the first time this weekend at the ATL area members shoot. i was pleased. 200rds and not one malfunction. i ordered a case from SG this morning. i built a frankengun specifically for plinking with cheap crap ammo and i wont feed it to my Colt 6601 but for the moeny its ok. i had 3 failures with SA surplus including one round that cought on the feedramp and shoved the bullet into the case!!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#28]
I use wolf too, but i won't buy any more once this batch is used up. I went fine for 200+ rounds, then had a few "dud's".

Dented primers but no bang. I won't buy anymore.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top