Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2003 5:37:55 PM EDT
I recently purchased a SA M1A Super Match. I like it better than any weapon I have ever owned. I'd like to test myself, and I think competing is going to be better than the informal shooting that I do now. I'm at Robins AFB, GA, and I'd like to compete near here. By that I mean in the south east. My final goal would be to try out for the Air Force Rifle Team.

I am a total newbie to competion. Just about anything you gents can tell me...will be more than I know now. Thanks a bunch.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Man this brings back memories.I used to shoot highpower in georgia (20 years ago).

Besides getting some help here, you could also contact the Georgia State Rifle assoc. to find out if anybody close to ya is a range master or coordinator for matches in your area.

They could put ya in touch with someone and having somebody close might give ya some hands on at home as well.

Try to get with an older shooter as they tend to give good instructions or guidelines to help ya.Also get the best gear ya can if ya plan to shoot matches for awhile.

Start slow and work your way up.Once ya get the hang of it you'll have a blast.Good shootin.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 1:50:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I recently purchased a SA M1A Super Match. I like it better than any weapon I have ever owned. I'd like to test myself, and I think competing is going to be better than the informal shooting that I do now. I'm at Robins AFB, GA, and I'd like to compete near here. By that I mean in the south east. My final goal would be to try out for the Air Force Rifle Team.

I am a total newbie to competion. Just about anything you gents can tell me...will be more than I know now. Thanks a bunch.

Go over to the Competition AR Forum and post. If you don't know already the AF doesn't have a rifle team like the Army/ Navy /Marines marksmanship units. All The AF shooters shoot on there own wherever they are at and come together and shoot as a team at Perry etc. The AF will cough up ammo and gear but is short on $$ for travel and match fees etc. You might be better off contacting the GA State National Guard Marksmanship Coordinator thru the state assoc, they should be able to hook you up with local in state AF /Air-Army Guard shooters who will help u out ..

Or go here to the AF shooting website

www-p.afsv.af.mil/afsports/sports/shooting.htm

or if the link no worky google " air force shooting team "  
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 2:27:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you gents!
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 3:34:06 AM EDT
[#4]
The USAF team doesn't shoot the M16A2 like everyone else?  Must by why they're not on the podium after the matches!

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 3:51:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The USAF team doesn't shoot the M16A2 like everyone else?  Must by why they're not on the podium after the matches!

-- Chuck

Well...

The Air Force technically killed it's marksmanship units back in 1972. The Air Force people U see shooting at perry etc in all different disciplines are doing it with no where near the support the Marine, Navy and Army Marksmanship units have at their disposal.  If you go back pre 72 you will see alot of AF shooters on the trophy's BTW.

As for why they don't shoot M16A2's ? The Air Force has only in the last 3-4 years adopted the NM M14 to replace the AFPG 7.62 M1 as it's official match rifle ! The AF offers 0 support for those who choose to shoot their own personally owned match AR's, No Ammo No parts nada ! If the AF had a fulltime marksmanship unit today you would see alot of blue on the podium !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top