Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2017 7:42:31 PM EDT
I already have a Griffin Checkmate and a Deadair Mask.  Dig the Checkmate but really dig the Mask.  I only have experience with these two rimfire cans.  So the dilema is, should I get another Mask or for the sake of diversity should I consider something else?  Usually when these questions are posed I see a short response like "get the Sparrow".  I'd appreciate if you make a recommendation to explain why.  I'm always looking to learn so reading the "why" helps me understand the pros of other cans on the market.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#1]
The Q erector would be my next 22 can. Fully modular instead of the roughly 2/3rds and 1/3rd options out there currently. Nothing wrong with those, just think fully modular is cool.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I like diversity in cans, but that's just me. I do have two omegas and will have two hybrids so... I guess that doesn't totally apply. But I have 4 different rimfire cans just cause I like different cans. If you want something different for a pistol, you can check out the Warlock. Weighs only 3 oz.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:35:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Diversify when it comes to Rimfire.

I have the Mask and love it.  

I also have 5 other rimfire cans that I love just as well, but for different reasons.

On a bolt rifle, still haven't found anything as quiet as the GM22 (although the Mask and some others smoke it on a pistol sound wise).  I've found each rimfire can offers something that the others don't do as well in some aspects, such as weight, physical size, and ease of cleaning as well as tone be it on a pistol or long rifle.  

Although some cans may sound better than others (not only pertaining to rimfire), I've been fortunate enough to appreciate each one for what it offers me.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Gemtech has a sale going with Silencershop for a $200 Gift Certificate if you buy a GM-22
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Q erector would be my next 22 can. Fully modular instead of the roughly 2/3rds and 1/3rd options out there currently. Nothing wrong with those, just think fully modular is cool.
View Quote
But when it comes down to it, it's still an Al can and has the baggage/disadvantages that come along with an Al baffled .22 can.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I already have a Griffin Checkmate and a Deadair Mask.  Dig the Checkmate but really dig the Mask.  I only have experience with these two rimfire cans.  So the dilema is, should I get another Mask or for the sake of diversity should I consider something else?  Usually when these questions are posed I see a short response like "get the Sparrow".  I'd appreciate if you make a recommendation to explain why.  I'm always looking to learn so reading the "why" helps me understand the pros of other cans on the market.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

I have a couple of rimfire cans. Like was mentioned above, each can has its advantages and disadvantages. Some offer compactness, some offer shielded baffles to allow easy removal of the stack, some have stainless baffles which allow for multiple cleaning methods, some have Aluminum baffles which make for lightweight cans, some have fixed rear endcaps so you can use them within a shroud and not worry about leaving an endcap on the threads, some are modular giving you a "K" option, some perform better on pistols than on rifles... and the list goes on.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I also have a nice mix of 22 cans. I highly recommend the Element2. It's probably my favorite can. It sounds excellent on both rifles and pistols. It's lightweight, compact, skinny, and has very very minimal FRP. It's not the easiest can to clean but it is by no means hard with the included tool. I consider it the gold standard of 22 cans. That being said, I love all my 22lr cans.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:17:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sometimes I want to buy another item I already have because I really enjoy it... other times I want to buy something new just because I want something new to try out.
View Quote

Sometimes I buy stuff just because you guys at CA know how to rape my wallet
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#10]
My only rimfire can is a Gemtech Outback II that has the baffle upgrades and can handle all rimfire except the new Winchester .22 super-magnum.
Thinking seriously about getting another one just like it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 11:18:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd look at the Q El Camino. I think it offers a ton of the desirable features everyone is looking for in a .22. Sound, lightweight, and easy to clean.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 1:54:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Have a Spectre II and Mask. Next 22 can is probably going to be the Oculus. Meters well, modular, easy to clean, and rugged.   I'm not very weight sensitive so I don't really care so much about going light when it comes to a can.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 3:09:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Our new can will be released at NRA... We listened to the consumer (as well as our own greedy wants).

Most will find it checks all the boxes.
View Quote
Interesting!
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Thunderbeast Takedown @ Hanson Brothers
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 5:43:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thunderbeast Takedown @ Hanson Brothers
View Quote
Appreciate the recommendation.  But why should I choose this can?
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I have an Oculus in jail and waiting for my dealer to tell me when he's putting his demo Mask up.

Check out the Oculus.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 8:27:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have an Oculus in jail and waiting for my dealer to tell me when he's putting his demo Mask up.

Check out the Oculus.
View Quote
Why?  What do you like about it?
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 9:58:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I have several rimfire suppressor including the Mask like you also. I ordered a Q El Camino recently mainly because it meters well, lite weight at just over 4oz a plus for pistols and stainless baffles for ease of cleaning.

For hand guns my Element II is my favorite of the cans I own right now. The compact size, lite-weight and quietness on a pistol has made it my favorite just a really great performing model and the can I judge all my new arrivals against quietness wise. Clean 300-500 rounds it's non issue cleaning wise. Go 750-1000 and baffles can be harder to remove.

I like the Mask a little Better than my Spectre II mainly just the shorter length both sound great and clean easy.

Monocore cans I really like my Gm-22 it's size and lite weight is just silly. The monocore opens right up for cleaning or to easy add oil/grease/water if you need a silly quiet "wet" shoot for ultimate stealth. A little FRP on pistols dry, but wet pistol and dry rifle zero to very low FRP. The Gm-22 also has a really nice low tone.

Liberty Regulator another monocore design, but this one has very, very low FRP fired dry pistol and rifle. I had a chance to shoot a Regulator last week and now can't get it out of my mind.  At first glance the longer length of this model didn't grab me as a must have. After some shooting pistol and rifle I have to admit I really want one now very bad. It sounds real close to the Mask overall with maybe even a little deeper tone to it. The Regulator's  owner put some wire gel into the can at the end of our shooting and holly cow it was even more quiet wet maybe the quietest threaded on can/bolt gun I've heard fired. Cool suppressor, but length is longer  6.5" x 1" so that's something to think about. I don't think it's a "one" rimfire  suppressor type of can,  but for a guy that several rimfire models already  it could be a good add to collection.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:09:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sometimes I want to buy another item I already have because I really enjoy it... other times I want to buy something new just because I want something new to try out.

Haha, no doubt there. Their buy a Hybrid get a warlock free deal is why I have 2 hybrids and the warlock will be the 5th rimfire can.

OP, why not do that? You would get 400 dollars in rebates from SiCo as well.... it's the best deal going.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:10:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Why?  What do you like about it?
View Quote
Only 6db differences between the long and short configuration on rifles.  I think it was 119db average on different platforms in the short for rifles.  Saves a couple of inches on my FVSR for tree rat hunting.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#22]
119 in the short is really good on a rifle. Most good full sized cans are pushing 114 to 117. I almost ordered the Oculus myself it's a super cool design. The  only reason I went Q El Camino instead this last order was weight. I have several 6oz plus rimfire suppressors already and was looking more at "pistol" use this time around so the 4oz weight on the El Camino made for a nice front end lite pistol setup.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 1:24:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have several rimfire suppressor including the Mask like you also. I ordered a Q El Camino recently mainly because it meters well, lite weight at just over 4oz a plus for pistols and stainless baffles for ease of cleaning.

For hand guns my Element II is my favorite of the cans I own right now. The compact size, lite-weight and quietness on a pistol has made it my favorite just a really great performing model and the can I judge all my new arrivals against quietness wise. Clean 300-500 rounds it's non issue cleaning wise. Go 750-1000 and baffles can be harder to remove.

I like the Mask a little Better than my Spectre II mainly just the shorter length both sound great and clean easy.

Monocore cans I really like my Gm-22 it's size and lite weight is just silly. The monocore opens right up for cleaning or to easy add oil/grease/water if you need a silly quiet "wet" shoot for ultimate stealth. A little FRP on pistols dry, but wet pistol and dry rifle zero to very low FRP. The Gm-22 also has a really nice low tone.

Liberty Regulator another monocore design, but this one has very, very low FRP fired dry pistol and rifle. I had a chance to shoot a Regulator last week and now can't get it out of my mind.  At first glance the longer length of this model didn't grab me as a must have. After some shooting pistol and rifle I have to admit I really want one now very bad. It sounds real close to the Mask overall with maybe even a little deeper tone to it. The Regulator's  owner put some wire gel into the can at the end of our shooting and holly cow it was even more quiet wet maybe the quietest threaded on can/bolt gun I've heard fired. Cool suppressor, but length is longer  6.5" x 1" so that's something to think about. I don't think it's a "one" rimfire  suppressor type of can,  but for a guy that several rimfire models already  it could be a good add to collection.
View Quote
The regulator maybe longer than the Mask but it is also 1 ounce lighter and smaller in diameter a hair (still noticeable).  I have both and will be shooting them side by side soon.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 8:01:24 AM EDT
[#24]
The Regulator is a great can. It's lightweight and sounds good. The length doesn't bother me. The monocore design is easy IF you are diligent about your cleaning. It's a bitch to take apart and clean if you go more than a few hundred rounds without cleaning.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 8:04:34 PM EDT
[#25]
You already have a couple nice cans you can use on several hosts.
Time for an integral rifle and pistol.....
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:00:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Want to make a couple of recommendations?
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:36:33 PM EDT
[#27]
For a first can I would go Mask but you have that...

Get the El Camino Ti because it is light weight without compromising other attributes. I need to get one.  

For integrals I have heard good things about TBA suppressors and Elite Iron. My AWC integral Mk3 is not as quiet as my muzzle cans but I still like the look and the long sight radius.

FWIW my Mask sounds better than my Element or Regulator.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
119 in the short is really good on a rifle. Most good full sized cans are pushing 114 to 117. I almost ordered the Oculus myself it's a super cool design. The  only reason I went Q El Camino instead this last order was weight. I have several 6oz plus rimfire suppressors already and was looking more at "pistol" use this time around so the 4oz weight on the El Camino made for a nice front end lite pistol setup.
View Quote
I'm getting a Mask next, the Q I'm holding out on, but I do need a 9mm dedicated can vs my Optimus for a lighter weight. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#29]
My regulator sounds great!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Haha, no doubt there. Their buy a Hybrid get a warlock free deal is why I have 2 hybrids and the warlock will be the 5th rimfire can.

OP, why not do that? You would get 400 dollars in rebates from SiCo as well.... it's the best deal going.
View Quote
Link? Or did I miss that? The only thing I see on their site is Buy a hybrid get an Axiom. Been wanting a Warlock.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
This...  I have a Spectre II and Innovative Arms Micro.  Plus an Octane 9 I use for an AR15 rimfire upper.   It will be a long time if ever when I buy myself another rimfire can.  However, an integral still intrigues me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:02:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Our new can will be released at NRA... We listened to the consumer (as well as our own greedy wants).

Most will find it checks all the boxes.
View Quote
Seems like the Element 2 is an excellent can and would probably be the next one I'd buy if I wanted another 22 can (Currently have the Mask HD) so if this new one is better then the Element 2 then it should be one kick ass can!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:02:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Ohhhh we are getting close!
View Quote

You're killin' me with all this hype! :)
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:20:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The Element2 is a awesome can and the new one is different all together compared to the E2.

To put it in "car guy" terms the Element2 is a Z06 and the new can is a GC Trackhawk. Both very cool but really different.
View Quote
Since I'm still trying to make a decision, I'd appreciate if any specs or pictures of this can materialize please post here.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:12:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Hey, everyone!  Thanks for all the replies.  I still haven't made up my mind.  I'm going to wait and see what the new AAC see can is like and then go from there.  A lot of very good suggestions.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Hey, everyone!  Thanks for all the replies.  I still haven't made up my mind.  I'm going to wait and see what the new AAC see can is like and then go from there.  A lot of very good suggestions.  Thank you.
View Quote
Wonder if anyone here has the Hydra.

I can't wait for the Oculus paperwork to be approved, though I think the Mask will be my next, though the Q Titanium coming in at 2.2oz is tempting as can be.

The modular design of the Oculus is what made me go with it first for a dedicated 22 can. 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:52:56 PM EDT
[#39]
The Q full Ti EL-Camino if truly 2.2 oz will be crazy. I have the regular  EL Camino on order already a solid Ti brother could be necessary :)

Waiting to see AAC's new offering the new badge design looks good we will soon see how the tube looks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:06:13 AM EDT
[#40]
I have a Spectre II and a Mask so far. The Mask just came in a couple months ago so I haven't shot it a ton due to weather, but so far I prefer it just due to it being shorter and it just plain looks better. They are both "heavy" rimfire cans but even on my 22/45 lite they do not seem heavy to me at all, and I wanted HD cans for my 22 mag and in case someone ever freaking decides to make a decent rifle chambered in 17 WSM. Lighter is always better but I really don't notice the 6 or so ounces even on a pistol and I would never trade away the flexibility of calibers or the ease of cleaning to go to aluminum. I want an Occulus next, just because, but not one bit of disappointment in the Spectre or Mask so far.

Edit: Re-reading your OP, I guess I can't give a great reason why I'd buy an occulus next, other than diversity. The whole point of these of course is to be as quiet as possible, but I doubt the occulus gives anything up to the Mask and I dig the looks of it plus I think it would be a fun novelty to be able to play with different lengths on different hosts. I have no interest in those long skinny purple or tie-dye cans, or that Q thing that looks like a stack of anal beads, so it's another Mask or occulus for me until something even cooler comes out.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:19:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top